|This article is about a/an rider in Kamen Rider Hibiki.|
Kamen Rider Zanki (仮面ライダー斬鬼 Kamen Raidā Zanki, "Masked Rider Slashing Demon") was one of the many Oni Kamen Riders in the Kamen Rider Series Kamen Rider Hibiki. He solely goes by the name Zanki (ザンキ) and abandoned his human name Zaoumaru Zaitsuhara (財津原 蔵王丸 Zaitsuhara Zaōmaru) upon becoming an Oni.
Kamen Rider Hibiki
Zanki is the oldest of the four main Oni in the series. Being the seasoned vet, even Hibiki saw him as a superior, even though Hibiki had once trained Zanki in the use of Taiko-type Ongeki. Zanki was first mentioned in episode 5, after defeating the Douji of a Bakegani, Todoroki and himself were forced to retreat after being attacked suddenly by the Bakegani itself. During their first on screen battle during episode 14, Zanki literally falls to his knees in pain as he battles a Douji/Hime with Todoroki. Due to his age and his wounds, Zanki is no longer able to fully engage Makamou in battle. Later on Zanki says that his time to retire has come and that Todoroki is to take the mantle of Zanki. Todoroki resists and says that he wants to make his own name, thus allowing Zanki to keep his Oni name. Over the next few episodes, Zanki has some apprehension to the way Todoroki battles Makamou. At first he sees Todoroki's style of cleansing the battlefield to not be traditional and as unneeded but eventually comes to understand that this is his student's way of fighting Makamou and that all Oni have their own way of doing so.
Later on, Todoroki begins to fall to fatigue in battle due to not having a supporter. Both Hibiki and Ibuki have Kasumi and Akira to help them with Disc Animal operation yet Todoroki is alone on his missions. Todoroki's fatigue begins to show in his battles and he becomes sloppy with the way he battles Makamou. Eventually Zanki decides that he will take on the role of a supporter for Todoroki and help guide him as Todoroki feels that he still needs the help of Zanki to be a great Oni warrior on his own.
During the middle of the series, Zanki's mentor, Shuki, returns and steals Todoroki's Henshin Onsa Onkaku and once again transforms into her Oni form. Zanki has a troubled past with Shuki, as she would go to great lengths to destroy all Makamou as they were the cause of her family's death. This was the only reason Shuki became an Oni and meant that she was not a pure Oni. As a young Oni, Zanki was caught in the mouth of the Notsugo that murdered her family, Shuki aimed her attack straight into Zanki's chest, hoping to kill the Makamou. Both Zanki and the Makamou survived as Shuki missed at the last second, but the attack was the reason for Zanki's declining health over the course of the series. In the final battle of Notsugo, Shuki was caught in its mouth much like Zanki many years ago, despite Shuki's orders to attack the Makamou with her in its mouth, Zanki would not attack his former teacher despite his contempt for her. Shuki then committed suicide as she aimed her weapon at herself, wounding the monster for an enraged Zanki to finish off. Zanki would go on to bury his teacher in a garden of flowers as her final wish for no one to see her true face.
In his final story arc, Zanki once again became an Oni, despite being told by his doctor that going into any more battles would result in Zanki shortening his life every time he transforms. During a battle where Todoroki was left immobile, Zanki had to step in to fill his spot. The night before his death, Zanki used a forbidden spell Shuki taught him on his soul that would not let it leave the mortal realm until his mission was fulfilled. However this same spell would result in the decay of his human soul should he remain among the living for too long. During a battle with a group of Makamou, Zanki was killed in an ambush by a pack of Bakeneko taking advantage while he left himself open for attack. Ibuki found his naked body and realized that Zanki was dead when he felt no pulse. Despite this, Zanki appeared in Todoroki's hospital room that night to comfort his student. Over the course of the next few days, Zanki helped Todoroki regain the ability to walk and finally transform again. In his last battle, Zanki was joined by Todoroki as the two battle a Kaengumo and pack of Bakeneko. At the end of this battle, Zanki and Todoroki cleansed the battlefield in Todoroki's style. As Todoroki bowed to his master, Zanki disappeared, his mission of seeing his greatest student become independent fulfilled, Zanki's soul could now rest in peace.
Post Series and other events
Kamen Rider Hibiki Hyper Battle DVD
Kamen Rider Zanki appears in flashback while the Disks Animal are giving Asumu the knowledges about how to become an Oni. Zanki is told as an Oni who can controls electricity, he eats much, having meals fit for multiple people.
Kamen Rider Decade
The Strong, Naked, Strong Guy
OOO, Den-O, All Riders: Let's Go Kamen Riders
Kamen Rider Zanki was part of a group of reinforcement riders led by Akira Date/Kamen Rider Birth to aid the primary riders in defeating the Rock Great Leader. All the Kamen Riders got on their bikes and performed the All Rider Break attack which destroyed the Great Leader.
Kamen Rider Zi-O
2019: Heisei Oni, Reiwa Oni
- "My master was even until the day of his death"
- ―Tomizo's telling Woz what his Oni master was like.[src]
Video Game appearances
Kamen Rider Hibiki (PS2)
Kamen Rider Ibuki Zanki in the Kamen Rider Hibiki video game.
All Kamen Rider Series
All Kamen Rider: Rider Revolution
Kamen Rider Zanki appears in All Kamen Rider: Rider Revolution among other Riders he performer his Ongeki Zan: Raiden Zanshin in the in All Kamen Rider: Rider Revolution.
All Kamen Rider: Rider Generation 2
Kamen Rider Zanki appears in the Nintendo DS/PS Vita game he performer his Ongeki Zan - Raiden Zanshin and had a double attack with his apprentice Todoroki in All Kamen Rider: Rider Generation 2.
Kamen Rider Super Climax Heroes
Kamen Rider Zanki is an unlockable and playable character with the other and performer his Ongeki finisher in Kamen Riders: Super Climax Heroes.
Kamen Rider Battle Ganbaride
Kamen Rider Zanki appears as a playable character in this video game Kamen Rider Battle Ganbaride.
Kamen Rider Riderbout
Kamen Rider Zanki appears as a playable character with the other Heisei and Showa kamen Riders in Kamen Rider Riderbout.
Kamen Rider Break Joker
Kamen Rider Zanki appears as a playable character with other Riders and monsters in Kamen Rider Break Joker.
Kamen Rider Batton-Line
Kamen Rider Zanki appears as a playable character in Kamen Rider Batton-Line among other Riders in the game.
Kamen Rider Transcend Heroes
Kamen Rider Zanki appears as a playable character with others Kamen Riders in the video game, performer his Raiden Zanshin against his enemies Kamen Rider Transcend Heroes.
Kamen Rider Buttobasoul
Kamen Rider Zanki is a playable character in Kamen Rider Buttobasoul.
Other Game appearances
Masked Rider Expansion
Kamen Rider Zanki appears as a playable character in this trading card game with other Kamen Rider Heisei-Era , Showa-Era,super sentai,Metal Heroes and other Heroes .
Zanki is a 32 year old Oni. He is a serious and calm person. But he always cares about the people around him. He usually does not tell his problems to others.
For him, Todoroki was the disciple who always worried him. After ceasing to be Oni, Zanki becomes Todoroki's support. Two people talk and talk often. Knowing that he was about to die, Zanki used Liu Bei to return and give Todoroki the strength to rehearse when his brother was paralyzed by an injury during a battle. When he died, Zanki was still worried about his disciples.
As a member of Takeshi, Zanki always works hard. When he was still fighting as Oni, although his body was badly injured, he still tried to complete the task. In emergency situations, Zanki is forced to become Oni again. He knew that he would exhaust his life very quickly, but he was still determined to fight.
Powers and abitilies
- Super Strength: After transforming into Oni form, Zanki is many times stronger than normal. Zanki could use his hand to hold Ongekigen Retsurai and pin him to Bakegani's stomach, and he flipped him face down even without support on his feet. This giant Makamou weighs 5.5 tons.
- Super Jump: Zanki can jump many times higher than normal people, With just one jump, Zanki easily jumped to a height of more than 7 meters and climbed the Bakegani to use his Ongeki Zan Raiden Zanshin.
- Super Speed: Zaomaru as Zanki has the ability to run many times faster than normal people without getting tired.
- Super Resistance: Zanki is able to withstand many times more than ordinary people. She is able to continuously fight Makamou for a long time. However, this ability is increasingly diminishing due to the serious injuries he suffered.
- Sensory Power: Zanki can sense Makamou's presence at a close distance through his evil aura. While on patrol searching for the Makamou Bakeneko, Zanki noticed Super Douji and Hime's evil aura also Zanki sensed the powerful evil aura of the White Puppet and confronted him.
- Electrokinesis: Zanki is an Oni who can master the energy of thunder. Transforming into an Oni form, Zanki screamed lightning from the sky. When attacking an opponent with Ongekishingen Retsuzan, the slashes emit rays that damage the opponent. Also during a melee fight with Makamou, Zanki can gather electrical energy and perform Kitoujutsu Raigekiken.
- Rider Height: 6 shaku 9 sun (approx. 209.1 cm., one say 210 cm.)
- Rider Weight: 43 kan (approx. 161.3 kg., one say 161 kg.)
In this Oni form, Kamen Rider Zanki is a bronze demon that looks like Todoroki. To become this form, Zanki simply needs to pluck his brace strings, the vibrations from the strings cause his body to be hit by massive lightning bolts, changing him into his Oni form. Zanki also gains a second "oni face" which is a crest that forms on his forehead. Unlike most Kamen Riders, Zanki does not wear a suit, rather his demon form is his true form.
- Henshin Kigen - Onka: A bracelet-like transformation device.
- Ongekishin - Zantetsu: A device that attaches on his belt for uses of finisher attacks.
- Ongekishin - Raigou: Todoroki's device, at first, it is owned by Zanki.
- Disk Animals: Zanki's disk-like support robots.
- Ongekishingen - Retsuzan: A guitar-like weapon.
- Ongekigen - Retsurai: Todoroki's weapon, at first, it is owned by Zanki.
- Kitōjutsu: Raigekiken (鬼闘術・雷撃拳 Demon Fighting Technique: Lightning Strike Fist): Charging himself with power, Zanki does an electric-powered punch that paralyzes all organs of any Makamou he is in battle with.
Ongeki Zan: Raiden Zanshin (音撃斬・雷電斬震 Sound Attack Slash: Thunderbolt Beheading Quake): Zanki stabs his weapon into the body of a large Makamou and changes it into its guitar form. He begins playing the guitar as fast as he can, causing electricity to flow from his body into the body of the Makamou, slowly causing its organs to expand and eventually explode.
Ongeki Zan: Raiden Gekishin (音撃斬・雷電激震 lit. "Sound Attack Slash: Thunderbolt Exciting Quake"): Zanki's former Ongeki Finisher. Zanki used Raiden Gekishin as his signature attack before he retired. This attack later become Todoroki's Ongeki Finisher. After possing Ongekishingen Retsuzan, Zanki uses his whole new Ongeki Finsher - Raiden Zanshin.
- "Kamen Ride: Zanki"
- ―Diendriver summoning announcement[src]
- KamenRide: Zanki: A Rider Card containing the power of Kamen Rider Zanki. Used by Diend to summon Kamen Rider Zanki. Used in the World of Amazon to fight Apollogeist and Yum Cimil.
Behind the scenes
Zaoumaru Zaitsuhara is portrayed by Kenji Matsuda (松田 賢二 Matsuda Kenji) who also played Touki (movie) in Kamen Rider Hibiki & The Seven Senki ,who later played Jiro, in Kamen Rider Kiva and later played a similar character Zanki (A.R. World) in Kamen Rider Decade.as Kamen Rider Zanki, his suit actors are Keizo Yabe (矢部 敬三 Yabe Keizō) and Eitoku (永徳).
- Zanki is one of the Onis who can use all three Ongeki weapons (Ongekibou, Ongekikan, and Ongekigen), the others are Hibiki and Sabaki.
- Zanki is the second Hibiki Rider to die in the TV series the first being is Shuki.
- Like the other Hibiki Riders in the TV series, Zaomaru shares the same initial in his Rider name.
- Zanki (previous) - predecessor and also the user of Kamen Rider Zanki powers, in Kamen Rider Hibiki.
- Zanki (A.R. World) - Counterpart and the user of the Kamen Rider Zanki powers, in Kamen Rider Decade.
|Kamen Rider Hibiki|
|Primary: Hitoshi Hidaka - Iori Izumi - Tomizo Todayama - Zaomaru Zaitsuhara|
|Other: Daisuke Danda - Sakae Saeki - Eiki - Shiori Shinagawa - Akira Amami - Kyosuke Kiriya - Shouki|
|Ancient Sengoku Era Oni: Hibiki (past) - Ibuki (past) -Todoroki (past) - Kabuki - Tohki - Kirameki - Nishiki - Habataki|
|Ichiro Tachibana- Asumu Adachi - Kasumi Tachibana - Hinaka Tachibana - Midori Takizawa - Kounosuke Kogure|
|Allies: Hitomi Mochida - Ikuko Adachi|
|Leaders: The Real Man and Woman - The Man and Woman - Black Puppet - White Puppet - Super Douji and Hime|
|Giant Type Makamou: Tsuchigumo - Yamabiko - Bakegani - Ittanmomen - Ooari - Okubi - Otoroshi - Ubume - Yamaarashi - Oonamazu - Amikiri - Kamaitachi - Notsugo|
|Summer Type Makamou: Dorotabou - Kappa - Bakeneko - Uwan - Tengu - Hitotsumi|
|Special Makamou: Nanashi - Kasha - Yobuko - Midaredouji - Kodama - Satori - Rokurokubi - Orochi|
|View • Edit|