|This article is about a/an episode in Kamen Rider, the original series.|
Raid of the Demon Sabotegron (魔人サボテグロンの襲来 Majin Saboteguron no Shūrai), is the fourteenth episode of the original Kamen Rider series.
It introduces Hayato Ichimonji, who will star for the remainder of the series' first year as Kamen Rider 2. Having used a combination of reused footage and a voice actor for the previous three episodes to fill in for Hiroshi Fujioka's absence following the motorcycle stunt accident which forced him to leave the show, Takeshi Sasaki was brought in to replace him in the lead. The explanation in the show being that Takeshi left to fight Shocker in Europe with Ruriko, leaving the protection of Japan to Hayato, the second Kamen Rider cyborg created by Shocker who was rescued by Takeshi off-screen.
As well as a new lead, several new allies were introduced along with a change of base as Tobei Tachibana moved from Snack Amigo to form the Tachibana Racing Club, which is joined by Mari, Yuri, Michi, and Yuri's younger brother Goro. This episode is also notable for introducing the iconic look of the Shocker Combatants brought by the titular Shocker monster from Mexico, instead of wearing berets and facepaint, the Combatmen now wear masks similar to lucha libre fighters with an insignia on their forehead.
Takeshi leaves Japan to pursue Shocker plots in other countries. Meanwhile, Cactogron, a cactus monster who is the head of Shocker's Mexican base, is brought to Japan to try to improve its success rate. And Kazuya and Tobei find their investigations into Cactogron's plans interfered with by a mysterious man.
to be added
- Hayato Ichimonji (一文字 隼人 Ichimonji Hayato): Takeshi Sasaki (佐々木 剛 Sasaki Takeshi)
- Tobee Tachibana (立花 藤兵衛 Tachibana Tobee): Akiji Kobayashi (小林 昭二 Kobayashi Akiji)
- Kazuya Taki (滝 和也 Taki Kazuya): Jirō Chiba (千葉 治郎 Chiba Jirō)
- Hiromi Nohara (野原 ひろみ Nohara Hiromi): Yōko Shimada (島田 陽子 Shimada Yōko)
- Mari (マリ Mari): Linda Yamamoto (山本 リンダ Yamamoto Rinda)
- Yuri (ユリ Yuri): Wakako Oki (沖 わか子 Oki Wakako)
- Michi (ミチ Michi): Katsumi Nakajima (中島 かつみ Nakajima Katsumi)
- Gorō (五郎 Gorō): Yasuharu Miura (三浦 康晴 Miura Yasuharu)
- Shirō (史郎 Shirō): Jō Honda (本田 じょう Honda Jō)
- The Great Leader of Shocker (ショッカー首領 Shokkā Shuryō, Voice): Gorō Naya (納谷 悟朗 Naya Gorō)
- Narrator (ナレーター Narētā): Shinji Nakae (中江 真司 Nakae Shinji)
- Saboteguron (蜘蛛男 Saboteguron, Voice): Toshiaki Suzuki (鈴木 利秋 Suzuki Toshiaki)
- During Hayato's first transformation in this episode, he stops his arm movements midway in order to unzip his waistcoat, exposing his Typhoon before continuing with his transformation. This was actually a mistake on actor Takeshi Sasaki's part, it being the first time he performed the move on set. In future episodes, Hayato would unzip his waistcoat first as he should have, before performing his transformation pose. Towards the later half of the series, Hayato would shift away from his signature waistcoat look to more conventional attires instead.
- The opening and ending sequences are refilmed, the first major change of the series, now featuring Hayato Ichimonji instead of Takeshi Hongo as Kamen Rider. The ending theme Kamen Rider no Uta (performed by Masato Shimon) is retained, while the opening theme Let's Go!! Rider Kick (originally performed by Hongo actor Hiroshi Fujioka) is replaced by a new version also performed by Shimon. As this episode debuts the new Rider Ichimonji, the new opening narration which introduces him in place of Hongo is forgone until the next episode. The monster gallery which would normally be accompanied by the opening narration now consists of Spider Man, Gebacondor, Geckgeras, Cactogron, and Lizardlon. The refilmed ending sequence begins with Kamen Rider fighting Spider Man and his Combatants on a bridge, followed by Kamen Rider briefly on Cyclone before fighting Combatants led by Gebacondor on the ground then facing off against Cactogron, followed by Lizardlon.
- This episode features the first-ever Kamen Rider 'transform' sequence as Ichimonji transforms into Kamen Rider 2 for the first time, achieved by performing a series of arm movements that activate his Typhoon. Hongo initially transformed into Kamen Rider 1 by exposing his Typhoon belt to strong gusts of wind, typically while riding his Cyclone motorcycle, but would adopt his own sequence after returning to the series.
- Footage from this episode, featuring Ichimonji's transformation, is featured as part of Tobei Tachibana's retrospective in episode 27 of Kamen Rider X.
- Kamen Rider DVD Volume 3 features episodes 14-19.
- Kamen Rider Blu-ray Volume 1 features episodes 1-26.