|This article is about a/an rider in Kamen Rider W.|
|"Now, count your sins!"|
|―Skull's pre-battle catchphrase[src]|
Sokichi Narumi (鳴海 荘吉 Narumi Sōkichi) is Kamen Rider Skull (仮面ライダースカル Kamen Raidā Sukaru), he is also Shotaro's mentor (whom he refers to as "boss"), Akiko's father, and founder of the Narumi Detective Agency in Futo City.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Other Events
- 2.1 Kamen Rider × Kamen Rider W & Decade: Movie War 2010
- 2.2 Kamen Rider W Forever: A to Z/The Gaia Memories of Fate
- 2.3 Kamen Rider × Kamen Rider OOO & W feat. Skull: Movie War Core
- 2.4 Chou Super Hero Taisen
- 2.5 Kamen Rider Heisei Generations FOREVER
- 2.6 Futo Detective (manga)
- 2.7 Kamen Rider W Forever: From A to Z, 26 Rapid-Succession Roars of Laughter
- 2.8 OOO, Den-O, All Riders: Let's Go Kamen Riders: ~Let's Look! Only Your 48 Riders~
- 2.9 Big Sleep
- 2.10 Nobody's Perfect
- 3 Video Game Appearances
- 3.1 Kamen Rider Battle Ganbaride
- 3.2 Kamen Rider Riderbout
- 3.3 Kamen Rider: Battride War series
- 3.4 Kamen Rider Battle Rush
- 3.5 Kamen Rider Transcend Heroes
- 3.6 Kamen Rider Buttobasoul
- 3.7 Battle Spirits
- 3.8 Kamen Rider City Wars
- 4 Personality
- 5 Family
- 6 Abilities
- 7 Kamen Rider Skull
- 8 Equipment
- 9 Legend Rider Devices
- 10 Relationships
- 11 Behind the Scenes
- 12 Notes
- 13 Appearances
- 14 See Also
Becoming Kamen Rider Skull
While working as a private investigator, he was partnered with a man, similar to his protege Shotaro Hidari's partner Philip, named Seiichiro Matsui (nicknamed Matsu) and had the personal policy of never getting clients in danger. He also provided his childhood friend Fumine Sonozaki (now Shroud) refuge after she was forced to leave her family and she takes up her new identity. Sokichi gets a job to protect a friend of his and Matsu's, Melissa, who is a singer. She receives a letter from a man calling himself "the Spider Man" (クモ男 Kumo Otoko) , which tells her to sing a specific song. The letter goes on to say that the Spider Man will rate the song on a scale of 1-100 and for every point below 100, he will kill an audience member. After confronting Melissa's agent at the concert, the Spider Man, revealed to actually be the Spider Dopant, attacks the crowd. He gives Melissa 100 points, and no one would be killed. However, Sokichi takes the opportunity to attack the Dopant armed with only the Stag Phone. A young Shotaro is in the audience, and comments in awe of how cool Sokichi is. After returning home, Sokichi talks to Shroud, who is working on the secret hangar (which then housed the SkullGarry). Shroud offers him the Skull Memory and Lost Driver when he asked her for suggestions on how to fight the Dopants. He rejected the gift outright due to wanting to keep his humanity intact.
Sokichi investigates further into Melissa's agent, and at the Yaguchi Talent Agency, he encounters the Spider Dopant again, along with the Bat Dopant and many Masquerade Dopants. Sokichi is almost killed by the Spider Dopant, but at the last second, Shroud arrives and tosses him the Lost Driver, the Skull Memory already inserted. The Driver attaches itself to Sokichi's waist, and he transforms into Skull Crystal against his will. Shroud notes that Skull is still incomplete, but Sokichi resumes his fight with the Spider Dopant and his horde of Masquerade Dopants nonetheless. During the fight, an energy sphere begins emerging from Skull's armor, but its appearance distracts Sokichi and gives the Dopants the upper hand. After receiving a call on the Stag Phone from Akiko, Sokichi gets the motivation to fight off the two Dopants. After seeing Yaguchi assumed to be the Spider Dopant, he was supplying Museum with test subjects, but killed by one of the Spider Bombs. Sokichi determines that the Spider Dopant's true identity is Matsu, thanks to noticing a quirk in his handwriting appear in a message the Dopant webbed on a wall. Sokichi confronts Matsu and learns his whole reason for becoming the Spider Dopant was because he was madly in love with Melissa, but she loved Sokichi. He implanted a Spider Bomb in Melissa, and tells Sokichi that the bombs will activate when their host touches the one they love most. After infecting not only Sokichi, but most of Futo as well, Matsu departs as Spider Bombs explode all over Futo.
Sokichi runs after Matsu but is intercepted by the Gaia Memory Dealer, Eren Komori, who transforms into the Bat Dopant. Sokichi transforms into the complete Kamen Rider Skull, and fights the Bat Dopant. Instead of a Memory Break, Sokichi leaves Komori to die by leaving her trapped under a leaking gas tanker truck, which then explodes. He then goes to fight Matsu, and begins counting his sins: how he didn't see the darkness in Matsu's heart, how he hesitated to fight Matsu when the time came, and because of these sins, Futo suffered. He then tells Matsu to count his own sins, and the two fight once again. Sokichi ends the fight with his Maximum Drive, but because of the Memory's side effects, Matsu dies.
Despite his crimes, Sokichi still called Matsu his partner. Since the incident, Sokichi took the motto "Now, count your sins!" to heart so that nothing similar ever happens again. Furthermore, the Spider Bomb implanted in Sokichi did not fade after the Spider Memory's destruction. Knowing what would happen if he ever reunites with his beloved daughter again, Sokichi isolates himself from Akiko to ensure his daughter's safety. After this, Sokichi became involved in investigating cases involving Dopants that the police force could not handle, including the armored car robberies performed by the "Beastman".
Eventually taking Shotaro Hidari as his protege, Sokichi taught Shotaro about being a detective as well as acting somewhat like a father figure to him. Around Christmas, after scolding Shotaro for wearing his hat without permission as well as telling Shotaro to not wear it until his approval, Sokichi agrees to help Shroud stop the Museum by infiltrating a research facility known as the Gaia Tower with Shotaro in order to find the young man at its center. However, Sokichi is intercepted by several henchmen of Museum. Telling Shotaro to stay put with the suitcase he brought with them (which contained the Double Driver and all of Double's Memories), he defeats them with little effort. However, the men become Masquerade Dopants, and the Taboo Dopant appears. Having no choice, Sokichi transforms into Skull, much to Shotaro's awe. After dealing with the Dopants, Sokichi finds that Shotaro inadvertently sent the young man they were looking for to the crystal chamber used to create Memories at the top of the tower. Sokichi touches the chamber upon their arrival, and enters the Gaia Library, something the boy says only an impressive man could do. Sokichi offers him freedom to find atonement for his part in the creation of the Gaia Memories, naming him Philip after his favorite fictional character, Philip Marlowe. After Sokichi frees Philip from the Gaia Tower and begins to take both him and Shotaro out of the building, he is shot by several armed guards. As he dies, he gives his white fedora to Shotaro and asks Shotaro to become a man worthy of wearing it. It was after the Gaia Tower fell into ruins that Shotaro and Philip, spurred by his advice to continue in his place as Double, learn that Sokichi's body is nowhere to be found. Even though Sokichi seemingly died, his will as a protector of Futo continues to live through Double as noted by Philip.
The Q on the Radio/Targeted Princess
Kamen Rider Skull briefly makes an appearance in Kamen Rider W Episode 13 "The Q on the Radio/Targeted Princess", according to by Wakana Sonozaki Kamen Rider Skull is considered a ghost and a mystery in the city Futo.
The S Terror/The Great Detective's Daughter
Sokichi Narumi makes an appearance in a flashback in episode 10 when Shotaro, explained that he as a detective should not leave his client
The Wind Called B/One Must Chase The Beast
Sokichi appears briefly, As well as in a flashback and mentioned in episode 31
Kamen Rider × Kamen Rider W & Decade: Movie War 2010
Sokichi appears in the start of the movie in the dream of Shotaro telling that he return in merry Christmas but later is awaken by Akiko ,In Begins Night, Sokichi Narumi and Kamen Rider Skull are among the identities taken by the Dummy Dopant while pretending to be the Death Dopant in a scheme to assume the identities of Fuuto's upper class members, using Sokichi's form to drive Shotaro off from the case before he realizes the truth. However, Shotaro finally overcomes this and Double ultimately defeats the impostor Kamen Rider Skull. After the case is concluded in Movie War 2010, Tsukasa Kadoya uses a Kamen Rider Skull card he has acquired to summon an iteration of Sokichi Narumi from an alternate dimension, giving Shotaro closure. This Sokichi doesn't seem to know Shotaro, but regardless, praises him. He then takes his leave after telling Shotaro the way he wore his hat was proof of being a full man as well as telling him that they should meet again.
Kamen Rider W Forever: A to Z/The Gaia Memories of Fate
Kamen Rider Skull's final appearance is in Kamen Rider W Forever: A to Z/The Gaia Memories of Fate, where the ghost of Sokichi who transformed into Skull gives Shotaro his Lost Driver as well as helped him realize Philip's feelings before fading away as he takes his leave, enabling Shotaro to transform into Kamen Rider Joker. The Skull Memory is also one of the 26 T2 Gaia Memories in the film.
Kamen Rider × Kamen Rider OOO & W feat. Skull: Movie War Core
During Akiko's wedding, Sokichi appears for the final time in spirit, walking with his daughter down the aisle and entrusting her to Ryu.
Chou Super Hero Taisen
Kamen Rider Heisei Generations FOREVER
Kamen Rider Skull appears as a toy, when Sento Kiryu and Sougo Tokiwa they find Ataru Hisanagahe brings them to his room which is filled with Kamen Rider memorabilia, with Sougo and Sento stunned to see toys of themselves. Ataru reveals that Kamen Riders are fictional.
Futo Detective (manga)
In the first chapter of the Futo Detective manga, Shotaro tries to take a "cool" picture of himself, which Akiko compares to an old picture of her late father and claims the latter is still more hardboiled than Shotaro is, much to his annoyance. In a later arc, Shotaro tells Tokime how he met Sokichi in 1999 and eventually mentored by him, letting Sokichi become a main focus of the story for this event.
Koji Kikkawa did a photo shoot and interview in the July 2019 issue, complete with a photo showing what Sokichi would look like if he were alive in 2019.
Kamen Rider W Forever: From A to Z, 26 Rapid-Succession Roars of Laughter
The S Selection/The Recommended Detective
Kamen Rider Skull is described by Shroud as a great detective especially with his hat. Shroud gives an exercise to Akiko Narumi that she search another hat for Kamen Rider Skull, Akiko accept the exercise view with different types of hat concluding with a pirate hat, but Akiko failed Shroud, telling that Skull only had a hat intended for himself.
OOO, Den-O, All Riders: Let's Go Kamen Riders: ~Let's Look! Only Your 48 Riders~
Type3. - I Like Two-in-One Underwear
Kamen Rider Skull appears briefly when Kivat-Bat the 3rd described to Kamen Rider Joker, that this is an apprentice of detective (refereed to Sokichi Narumi). Also, Kamen Rider Skull had a brief cross with Kamen Rider Joker face to face.
During the encore at Koji Kikkawa's concert at the NHK Hall, Kikkawa appeared dressed up as Sokichi Narumi and performed the song "Big Sleep". At the same time, he was joined on stage by Kamen Rider Double.
Sokichi Narumi and Kamen Rider Skull are the main characters in the side-story presented in the "Nobody's Perfect" music video, a song credited to Narumi but sung by Koji Kikkawa. In the music video set during his life and prior to Philip's freeing, Narumi takes on a case of a kidnapping by the Museum of a young girl. He crosses paths with several Masquerade Dopants and the Terror Dopant, fighting and driving away the latter as Kamen Rider Skull.
Video Game Appearances
Kamen Rider Battle Ganbaride
Kamen Rider Skull appears as a playable character in this video game Kamen Rider Battle Ganbaride.
Kamen Rider Riderbout
Kamen Rider Skull appears as a playable character with the other Heisei and Showa Kamen Riders in Kamen Rider Riderbout.
Kamen Rider: Battride War series
Kamen Rider: Battride War
Kamen Rider Skull appears in the video game Kamen Rider: Battride War.
Kamen Rider: Battride War Genesis
Kamen Rider Skull appears in the video game as a tag partner in Kamen Rider: Battride War Genesis.
Kamen Rider Battle Rush
Kamen Rider Skull appears as a playable and support character in the video game Kamen Rider Battle Rush using Rider Shot.
Kamen Rider Transcend Heroes
Kamen Rider Skull appears as a playable character with others Kamen Riders in the video game, performing his Skull Punisher and Finisher Kick against his enemies Kamen Rider Transcend Heroes.
Kamen Rider Buttobasoul
Kamen Rider Skull is a playable character in Kamen Rider Buttobasoul, among other Riders.
Sokichi Narumi as Kamen Rider Skull, appears with other Kamen Riders and Monsters in Battle Spirits.
Kamen Rider City Wars
Kamen Rider Skull is a playable character alongside the other Kamen Riders in Kamen Rider City Wars.
A person who embodies the hard boiled persona that Shotaro longs for, Sokichi is shown to be a stern individual, capable of confronting most situations with little trouble. Yet, Sokichi also possesses a strong love toward Futo and its people, doing everything in his power to protect those in need.
In his early days as a detective, Sokichi was somewhat less serious minded, showing personality traits not too dissimilar to Shotaro's own eccentricities. A notable example was his refusal to ask Matsu for help in making coffee, despite apparently having utterly failed on multiple occasions. Nevertheless, Sokichi was still capable of handling serious threats on his own, having faced the Spider Dopant without fear. He also held great care for his clients, seeing them as people he should never allow harm upon.
While sometimes prone to acting in a detached manner, Sokichi did care for his loved ones, helping them in their times of need. Even when learning of Matsu's actions as the Spider Dopant, Sokichi continued to refer to him as his partner, remembering the time they spent together as detectives.
However, it is shown in a flashback of Futo Detective that his partner's actions had significantly changed Sokichi, causing him to fall into a deep sense of despair. From this he no longer defended Futo from threats, citing it as taking a break from work. Shotaro's words and actions though, convinced Sokichi to recover from his anguish, allowing him to fight one more as a detective and as a Kamen Rider.
Unlike Shotaro, who will never allow fatal harm upon someone if he can help it, Sokichi has shown himself capable of ruthlessness, to the extent of allowing the Bat Dopant to die a painful death without mercy. This does not mean he did not care whether people died though, as it was his fear of killing a person from a Memory Break which initially stopped him from fighting as a Kamen Rider. Even after overcoming this fear, Sokichi opted not to use his Skull Memory unless necessary, despite the advantage it gave him in battle.
One odd quirk he passed onto Shotaro was his commitment towards fedora hats, of which he saw as something that only a full-fledged man is fit to wear. Hence Sokichi never allowed Shotaro to wear his hats, stating that he was not yet ready. It was only near his death did Sokichi pass on his favorite hat towards his protege, in hopes that he would successfully finish the case as a true detective.
- Expert Detective: Having spent over a decade as a detective, Sokichi is a highly skilled investigator, possessing good deductive intuition and keen observation. Furthermore, he is shown to be an excellent mentor, having taught Shotaro everything he knows on how to be a detective.
- Expert Combatant: Sokichi is shown capable of fighting groups of Masquerade Dopants without using any Gaia Memories, as well as holding his own against foes such as the Spider Dopant and even against high ranking members of Museum, such as the Taboo Dopant and the Terror Dopant. Sokichi was shown to have an advantage against enemies as Kamen Rider Skull, the latter actually retreating during their battle in the music video "Nobody's Perfect".
Kamen Rider Skull
|"Skull! (Deep guitar riff to high guitar screech)"|
Kamen Rider Skull Crystal (仮面ライダークリスタルスカル Kamen Raidā Sukaru Kurisutaru) is Skull's incomplete form. It differs from Kamen Rider Skull's standard form in that the helmet is iridescent and it lacks the S-shaped "crack". Skull Crystal is able to attack by releasing energy from his chest in the shape of a large purple skull that can bite opponents. This form is named after the crystal skulls.
This form is exclusive to Kamen Rider × Kamen Rider OOO & W featuring Skull: Movie War Core.
|"Skull! (Deep guitar riff to high guitar screech)"|
- Rider Height: 205cm
- Rider Weight: 110kg
- Punching Power: 2 t.
- Kicking Power: 6.5 t.
- Maximum Jump Height: 45 m.
- Maximum Running Speed: 100 m. per 6.3 sec.
Through the use of the Lost Driver and Skull Memory, Sokichi transforms into Kamen Rider Skull. Skull is unique in that besides wearing a white tethered scarf he also wears a white fedora. It is revealed that he was the original user of the quote "Now, count your crimes!" (さあ、お前の罪を数えろ！ Sā, omae no tsumi o kazoero!), a quote now used by his successor. Skull's motif is that of a human skull and the letter S. Like Skull Rider, Skull appears to be a homeage to Skull Man, Shotaro Ishinomori's previous creation, who was adapted for the creation of Kamen Rider 1. Kamen Rider Skull's primary finisher is the long range shooting attack Skull Punisher (スカルパニッシャー Sukaru Panisshā), the Maximum Drive ability of his Skull Magnum. In Skull: Message to Double, Skull is shown to have a second Maximum Drive, known only as Finisher Kick (必殺キック Hissatsu Kikku), that involves releasing a giant energy skull from his chest, which stuns the opponent and knocks them back before rising into the air. Skull then puts the Skull Memory into the Maximum Drive Slot, jumps up, and does a roundhouse Rider Kick, which propels the energy skull toward the opponent, whom it bites down on. Kamen Rider Skull also appears as one of the Kamen Riders summoned by Kamen Rider Diend's Complete Form and his Gekijouban Card. In this appearance, his Maximum Drive attack is a generic Rider Kick, similar to Rider 1's famous somersault and kick attack, but with a purple swirling energy around Skull's right foot. In Ganbaride, the name of Skull's generic Rider Kick is Silhouette Kick (シルエットキック Shiruetto Kikku).
- Lost Driver: Transformation belt
- Gaia Memories
- Skull Memory: Allow Sokichi to become Kamen Rider Skull
- Memory Gadget
- Stag Phone
- Skull Magnum: Personal weapon
Legend Rider Devices
|"Kamen Ride: Skull"|
|―Diendriver summoning announcement[src]|
- Kamen Ride: Skull: A Rider Card containing the power of Kamen Rider Skull possessed by Kamen Rider Decade. Unlike the others, it was sealed. It had a black background like those of the protagonist Kamen Riders. Decade gave it to Shotaro Hidari, the left half of Kamen Rider Double. After he left, a Sokichi Narumi from another world appeared through a dimensional wall and spoke to Shotaro.
- Another Kamen Ride Skull card: with a white background like those of extra Kamen Riders, is also one of the eight cards used by Kamen Rider Diend Complete Form. It summons Kamen Rider Skull.
Skull Medal (スカルメダル Sukaru Medaru): Based on Kamen Rider Skull.
Skull Crystal Medal (リスタルスカルメダル Sukaru Kurisutaru Medaru): Based on Kamen Rider Skull Crystal.
This Rider Ring which bears the likeness of Kamen Rider Skull is exclusive to Kamen Rider Wizard's Wizard Ring toyline. When used by a Wizardriver wearer, it would be able to summon Kamen Rider Skull.
Skull Lockseed (スカルロックシード Sukaru Rokkushīdo): Allows the user to transform into Skull Arms. The core image depicts the Lost Driver while the lid backside image depicts the Skull Memory. Gaim/Kurokage/Bujin Gaim/Kamuro-styled Lockseed.
- Transformation: Skull Arms: Otoko-michi Hardboiled! (スカルアームズ・男道、ハードボイルド！ Sukaru Āmuzu - Otoko Michi, Hādoboirudo!, lit. "A man's path, Hardboiled")
|"(Digital beeping) Skull!"|
|"To be announced"|
|―Secondary activation announcement[src]|
|"Rider Time! Skull! Skull!"|
|―Transformation announcement in the Ziku-Driver's right-hand slot[src]|
|"(Right-hand Ridewatch's announcement)! Armor Time! Skull! Skull!"|
|―Transformation announcement in the Ziku-Driver's left-hand slot[src]|
|"To be announced"|
|―Finisher announcement in left-hand slot[src]|
Skull Ridewatch (スカルライドウォッチ Sukaru Raidowotchi): Based on Kamen Rider Skull, this Ridewatch provides access to the SkullArmor. It is dated 2009.
Behind the Scenes
Sokichi Narumi is portrayed by singer-songwriter Koji Kikkawa (吉川 晃司 Kikkawa Kōji). Kikkawa also performs the song "Nobody's Perfect" under the name of his character. As Kamen Rider Skull, his suit actor was Eitoku (永徳).
- Kamen Rider Skull is the only Kamen Rider to have a major role in a Movie War film, but not be a Main Rider.
- Until the reveal of the Neodecadriver in Kamen Rider Zi-O, Kamen Rider Skull was the only post-Decade Rider to have an official Kamen Ride Card and one of two post-Decade Riders to have a Rider Card (Double had a Final Form Ride Card). As such, for 9 years, Kamen Ride: Skull was the only Kamen Ride Card which referred to the depicted Kamen Rider as Kamen Rider rather than Masked Rider, as the official romanization of the Kamen Rider Series was changed from Masked Rider to Kamen Rider starting with W. Likewise, Double's Final Form Ride Card referred to them as Kamen Rider W.
- While sounds for post-Decade Riders were included with the Complete Selection Modification Decadriver, released in 2015, they were never officially announced or released.
- As shown in several flashbacks, many women were apparently attracted to Sokichi, despite his status as a married father.
- It was revealed in Movie War Core on a calendar in his office that he became a Kamen Rider in November of 1999, which in real world time would be two months before Kamen Rider Kuuga debuted.
- Sokichi is the only character with a hat to remain intact as Kamen Rider. This explanation can be clearly seen as Sokichi always remove his hat before transfomation, the one thing that has never be done by Shotaro and the other latter rider user with a hat, Sid.
- On a funny note, if Shotaro or Sid would remove their hat and tried to put it back to their head, the hat is definitely not fit well (W's helmet antenna will rip Shotaro's hat, Sigurd's helmet won't be able to be stuck with Sid's hat).
- Kamen Rider Skull's presence on Diend's Complete Form is an anomaly. Aside from being from the series after Decade, he is a heroic Rider while the other seven Riders on Diend Complete Form are villains, specifically the villains of their respective Summer Movies. Of course, a more appropriate choice would be Kamen Rider Eternal, the villain of Kamen Rider W Forever: A to Z/The Gaia Memories of Fate. However since the Cho Den-O Trilogy was released during the run of Kamen Rider W, with Episode Yellow premiering over a month before the W summer movie, Eternal appearing would be problematic.
- It is possible that the Kamen Rider Skull summoned by Diend Complete Form is actually the imitation version.
- It is possible that Sokichi's body is immune to some of the effects of Gaia Memories as he managed to seemingly overpower the Terror Dopant in the music video "Nobody's Perfect" without succumbing to his powers.
- This may explain why Shroud gave him the Skull Memory and a Lost Driver.
- In the promotional poster of the movie Kamen Rider Zi-O: Over Quartzer Skull among other Kamen Riders is seen in the background of the movie poster but they didn't show up in the actual movie.
- He shares his first name with another Super Hero Time character who wears a hat, Shokichi Banba from J.A.K.Q. Dengekitai.
- Father Roberto Shijima - Imitation of Kamen Rider Skull