|This article is about a/an rider in Kamen Rider Build.|
- "In the end, I have to entrust this to you, my son. I've failed as a father. Takumi...Have you grow taller again?"
- ―Shinobu's last words before dying.[src]
Shinobu Katsuragi (葛城 忍 Katsuragi Shinobu) was a former member of INSET, the husband of Kyoka Katsuragi and the father of Takumi Katsuragi. He excommunicated himself in order to leave the remains of the Rider System to his son. However he was revealed to still be alive and was working with Evolto himself, while wielding his own Build Driver and became a prototype version of Kamen Rider Build. Secretly, he was actually developing a plan that would ultimately assist his son in his battle against Evolto.
Ten years prior, Shinobu was the leading member of the Mars exploration group, the Kiwami Project. However when he discovered that the Pandora Box housed members of the alien race known as the Blood Tribe and they had possessed the other members, he began to work on a series of weapons that would allow the users to defeat the alien tribes should they access their true forms. Shinobu had also discovered that the Blood Tribe had already made Earth their target some years prior in the form of Ryuga Banjo, so when Ryuga was a young child, Shinobu performed experiments on him to prepare him for the foreseeable future.
Sometime before the Sky Wall Disaster, Shinobu asked his son Takumi if he wanted to help his father prevent an alien invasion should the time come, with the boy replying with yes. When Soichi Isurugi, now possessed by Evolto touched the Pandora Box and caused the upbringing of the Sky Wall, the public went into tatters. During the commotion, Shinobu told his son that the only hope for Earth's future was Ryuga Banjou himself. Takumi asked his father why he was doing all this, and he replied that he was doing it for "love and peace" before running off.
Shinobu later received the aid of Reika Kine to help fake his death by smuggling himself out of Touto on the day he supposedly died. . However it wasn't enough as Evolto would discover this and force Shinobu to work with him. With the new "cooperation", Shinobu created Lost Bottles, man-made Fullbottles that allows a human to transform into a Smash, although this made said human become more aggressive and easier to control and manipulate. Shinobu was also tasked with repairing Evolto's Evol-Driver under Project Evol. However, the Driver was taken and hidden away by his son Takumi, where Sento would later find it and reluctantly return it to Evolto.
He was later resurfaced at a Faust hideout in Hokuto where he sided with Evolto while searching for the Lost Bottles.
After revealing that his siding with Evolto was a trick to buy Sento Kiryu more time to foil his plan, he was later killed by the alien, redeeming himself when he gave Sento the data for both Build and Cross-Z and the ultimate Best Match, which would later be developed into the Cross-ZBuild Can.
Having performed a successful maintenance check on Kamen Rider Evol's system on the eve of Extra-terrestrial Lifeform Evolto vs. Kamen Riders, Nariaki Utsumi was deemed a worthy replacement for the late Katsuragi by Evolto. Soon after, Kazumi Sawatari took the elder Katsuragi's Build Driver, without Sento's approval, so he could utilize the full power of the Grease Blizzard Knuckle and North Blizzard Fullbottle for the coming battle at the Pandora Tower, at great risk to himself.
Prior to Sky Wall Incident, Shinobu was a good-hearted man that cared for his son a lot. However, since he was the nearest to Pandora Box during the Sky Wall Incident, Shinobu's good nature was gone, him becoming a cold-hearted person with no qualms to do inhumane experiments as shown when he simply said that Misora could just die if Vernage was defeated. He also became nihilistic, as he openly admitted that he faked his death to his son and his wife, after siding with Evolto and supporting his plan to create a new world. However, Shinobu's affiliation with Evolto is actually a ruse, while under the pretense of allying himself with the latter was to give Sento enough time to delay his plans.
As the inventor and original intended user of the Build Driver, Shinobu Katsuragi can use the full potential of the Rider System. Since his Hazard Level is much higher, the stats reflected are much higher than when Sento Kiryu had used them. As Shinobu's Build Driver is a prototype based on the original schematics, it does not announce Best Matches.
- "Rabbit! Tank! Are you ready? (Techno rock music) Hagane no Moonsault! RabbitTank!"
- ―RabbitTank's transformation announcement[src]
- Rider Height: 196.0 cm.
- Rider Weight: 99.0 kg.
- Punching Power: 14.7 t. (right arm)/25.2 t. (left arm)
- Kicking Power: 35.1 t. (right leg)/26.3 t. (left leg)
- Maximum Jump Height: 71.5 m.
- Maximum Running Speed: 100 m. per 1.9 sec.
RabbitTank Form (ラビットタンクフォーム Rabitto Tanku Fōmu) is Build's red and blue primary and default Best Match form form accessed from the Rabbit and Tank Fullbottles, hence known as the Moonsault of Steel (鋼のムーンサルト Hagane no Mūnsaruto). It is themed after a rabbit and a tank.
RabbitTank is considered to be the most well balanced; having a good amount of power and agility in all of his Ability Perimeters, thus making it Build's default form, despite it being capable of initiating transformation with any set of Build's Fullbottles. This is also Build's second fastest form.
In this Best Match form, Build is armed with the Tank Roller Shoes (タンクローラーシューズ Tanku Rōrā Shūzu) on his right leg for kicking attacks, and can also act as a working tread to roll along on a flat foot.
This form's weapon is the Drill Crusher.
Shinobu lost access to this form after the Rabbit Fullbottle was stolen by Sento and transformed into the Golden Rabbit Fullbottle.
This form's finisher is the Vortex Finish (ボルテックフィニッシュ Borutekku Finisshu), which has two variations:
- Build summons a white energy chart with the dotted line securing the enemy before leapingup and delivering a kick whilst riding the chart's line.
- Build performs a jumping roundhouse kick covered in red and blue energy.
- "Taka! Gatling! Are you ready? HawkGatling!"
- ―HawkGatling's transformation announcement[src]
- Rider Height: 193.0 cm.
- Rider Weight: 107.0 kg.
- Punching Power: 14.4 t. (right arm)/14.8 t. (left arm)
- Kicking Power: 20 t. (right leg)/20.1 t. (left leg)
- Maximum Jump Height: 54.2 m.
- Maximum Running Speed: 100 m. per 3.9 sec.
HawkGatling Form (ホークガトリングフォーム Hōku Gatoringu Fōmu) is Build's orange and gray Best Match form accessed with the Taka and Gatling Fullbottles, hence known as the Rampage of the Skies (天空の暴れん坊 Tenkū no Abarenbō). It is a Touto Best Match, and is themed after a hawk and a gatling gun.
While this Best Match has low stats compared to RabbitTank, this is made up for by the Solstall Wings on his back which grant him flight capabilities, as well as the utilization of the Gatling Fullbottle's Hawk Gatlinger that was designed for this particular Best Match.
In any form that uses the Ninjya Fullbottle, Build wields the 4Koma Ninpoutou. It also grants Build the Onmitsu Scarf (オンミツスカーフ Onmitsu Sukāfu) on the right side of his back.
- "Ninjya! Comic! Are you ready? NinninComic!"
- ―NinninComic's transformation announcement[src]
- Rider Height: 194.0 cm.
- Rider Weight: 90.5 kg.
- Punching Power: 16.4 t. (right arm)/13 t. (left arm)
- Kicking Power: 14.9 t. (right leg)/32.9 t. (left leg)
- Maximum Jump Height: 59 m.
- Maximum Running Speed: 100m. per 2.8 sec
NinninComic Form (ニンニンコミックフォーム Ninnin Komikku Fōmu) is Build's purple and yellow Best Match form accessed with the Ninjya and Comic Fullbottles, hence known as the Stealthy Entertainer (忍びのエンターテイナー Shinobi no Entāteinā). It is a Touto Best Match, and is themed after a ninja and a comic book.
This form grants Build well-balanced abilities akin of RabbitTank. Furthermore, it has increased kicking and punching power with the cost of jumping power and speed. The 4Koma Ninpoutou was designed for this particular Best Match. This is also Build's fourth fastest form.
As a Best Match, this form has several finishers:
- 4Koma Ninpoutou finishers:
- Clone Jutsu (分身の術 Bunshin no Jutsu, Art of Cloning): Build presses the Vortex Trigger one time and creates a number of clones of himself that attack together.
- Fire Jutsu (火遁の術 Katon no Jutsu, Art of Fire Releasing): Build presses the Vortex Trigger two times and delivers a flaming slash attack. While performing this attack, the 4Koma Ninpoutou announces Blazing Slash (火炎斬り Kaen Giri).
- Wind Jutsu (風遁の術 Fūton no Jutsu, Art of Wind Releasing): Build presses the Vortex Trigger three times and creates a tornado around the blade. While performing this attack, the 4Koma Ninpoutou announces Tornado Slash (竜巻斬り Tatsumaki Giri).
- Stealth Jutsu (隠れ身の術 Kakuremi no Jutsu, Art of Camouflage): Build presses the Vortex Trigger four times and teleports a short distance away in a puff of smoke. While performing this attack, the 4Koma Ninpoutou announces Doron (ドロン Doron, lit. "Abscond"), with a heavy drumbeat when he disappears and reappears. In Shinobu case, he uses Stealth Jutsu to deliver several strikes without the enemy knowing.
In any form that uses the Kaizoku Fullbottle, Build wields the Kaizoku Hassyar.
- "Kaizoku! Densya! Are you ready? KaizokuRessya!"
- ―KaizokuRessya's transformation announcement[src]
- Rider Height: 189.0 cm.
- Rider Weight: 95.8 kg.
- Punching Power: 17.8 t. (right arm)/18.8 t. (left arm)
- Kicking Power: 22.2 t. (right leg)/20.4 t. (left leg)
- Maximum Jump Height: 51.2 m.
- Maximum Running Speed: 100 m. per 1.7 sec.
KaizokuRessya Form (海賊レッシャフォーム Kaizoku Ressha Fōmu, lit. PirateTrain Form) is Build's azure and lime green Best Match form accessed with the Kaizoku and Densya Fullbottles, hence known as the Punctual Rebel (定刻の反逆者 Teikoku no Hangyakusha). It is a Touto Best Match, and is themed after a pirate and a train.
Being based on a train, this form is Build's fastest Best Match form, only being outpaced by Trial Form NinjyaTank by 0.2 seconds. The Kaizoku Hassyar was designed for this Best Match.
In this form, Build is armed with the Train Gauntlet (トレインガントレット Torein Gantoretto) on his left arm for increased speed.
Using the Kaizoku Hassyar, Build can perform three different special attacks by pulling back the Build Arrow and holding it before letting go. Charging the Kaizoku Hassyar escalates its shot through three of the four tiers. While performing any of this attacks, the Kaizoku Hassyar announces Shuppatsu (出発 lit. Departure).
- Kakueki Densya (各駅電車 lit. All Station Train): Build fires two balls of energy.
- Kyuukou Densya (急行電車 Kyūkō Densha, lit. Express Train): Build fires three balls of energy.
- Kaisoku Densya (快速電車 lit. Rapid-Service Train): Build fires four balls of energy.
The Kaizoku Hassyar's finisher is the Kaizoku Densya (海賊電車): After charging the Kaizoku Hassyar by pulling back the Build Arrow and holding it until it reaches the final tier, Build fires a green and azure energy train from the Kaizoku Hassyar that not only rams into the enemy, but shoots azure energy discs as well. While performing this finisher, the Kaizoku Hassyar announces Hassha (発射 lit. Fire).
- Build Driver - Transformation device.
- Fullbottles - Transformation trinkets.
- Fullbottle Holder - Carrier strap for Build's Fullbottles
- 4Koma Ninpoutou - Build's katana-like weapon accessed by any form that uses the Ninjya or Comic Fullbottle.
- Kaizoku Hassyar - Build's bladed bow-like weapon accessed by any form that uses the Kaizoku Fullbottle.
- Rabbit Foot Shoes - Build's rabbit-like spring shoe accessed by any form that uses the Rabbit Fullbottle.
- Tank Roller Shoes - Build's tank-like tread shoe accessed by any form that uses the Tank Fullbottle.
- Onmitsu Scarf - Build's ninja scarf accessed by any form that uses the Ninjya Fullbottle.
- Train Gauntlet - Build's train-like wrist guard accessed by any form that uses the Densya Fullbottle.
Behind the Scenes
- As Build, Shinobu has demonstrated the ability to disguise his voice via voice modulation similar to that of the Transteam System, something that was not demonstrated by the primary user.
- Alternatively to RabbitTank, Shinobu has been observed to have a preference for NinninComic Form, which he has been shown to use a total of three times, more than any other Form available to him. Indeed, after he loses access to RabbitTank, it is this form that Shinobu resorts to. This is most likely due to his name having the ninja kanji.
- Shinobu is similar to Daigo Fukami, both have betrayed their own family in order to protect them in the shadows; in Daigo's case, he left his children to keep them away from the Gamma, Shinobu fakes his suicide and pretends to be an ally of Evolto to give Sento enough time to foil the evil alien's plan of destroying the world much like Kiriya Kujo did as Lazer Turbo in the previous series.
- As of his death, Shinobu has only used Best Matches that have suit-equipped weapons that aren't attached to the suit itself, namely, the Drill Crusher, Hawk Gatlinger, 4Koma Ninpoutou, Kaizoku Hassyar.