|This article is about a/an rider in Kamen Rider Ryuki.|
- "When I made that prediction, the next Rider to go was actually you. But fate has changed."
- ―Tazuka revealing to Shinji that he was supposedly to die in his place according to his prediction.[src]
- "My predictions are never wrong."
- ―Tezuka on his fortune telling ability[src]
Miyuki Tezuka (手塚 海之 Tezuka Miyuki) is Kamen Rider Raia (仮面ライダーライア Kamen Raidā Raia), a fictional character in the tokusatsu production Kamen Rider Ryuki. He is one of the 13 Kamen Riders the series revolves around.
Fictional character biography
He is a very accurate fortune-teller that believes in predestination. He fights to stop the Rider war and change their fates, similar to Shinji, Kamen Rider Ryuki. Tezuka is among the few honorable and noble Riders in the series. Though he was given the left Survive card, he gave it to Kamen Rider Knight, even though that could have made him stronger. Tezuka was not the original deck holder that was chosen to become a Rider. The real chosen one was Yuichi Saito, an excellent pianist and dear friend to Tezuka, who had lost his ability to play when a mugger (later revealed to be Takeshi Asakura) broke his hands and ruined his ability to play. Kanzaki later appeared before Yuichi to offer the restoration of his hands if he becomes a Rider, but Yuichi refused and was eaten by the monster GuldThunder as a result. Taking the Card Deck, Tezuka later contracted Evildiver and became a Rider to avenge his friend by ending the Rider War.
While at a square performing Coin Fortune Telling, Tezuka notices Ren and reads his future before revealing himself as a Rider. Though he overpowered Knight but not intent on dealing the deathblow, Raia is shocked with Knight's suicidal counterattack. But after the fight, Tezuka tells Ren that he cannot win the Rider War because of the doubt in his heart. After seeing a vision of Knight being defeated by Kamen Rider Gai, Tezuka prods at Ren to know the truth behind him when he meets Shinji, who also intends to stop the fighting among the Riders. Tezuka aids Ryuki and Knight in dealing with Gai before he (Gai) is killed off by Ouja.
Raia died in the TV series during a fight against Ouja. When Ouja performed his Final Vent against Ryuki, Raia pushed him out of the way and took the attack instead. He died shortly afterwards due to his wounds. Being a very accurate fortune teller, he knew Ryuki was the one to be killed and let himself take the blow as he probably knew that Ryuki's better off being the one to stop the Rider war while Knight was better off with the Survive card. Before he was about to die, he sensed something off with Yui but he never got the chance to tell Shinji before dying in his arms.
- "At last...I changed fate..."
- ―Tezuka before his death[src]
After Shiro restored time to its proper course after Yui's death, Tezuka was given a second chance in life with no memory of being a Rider and was seen doing tarot card readings on the corner of the street.
Tezuka's role in the 13 Riders special was slightly altered from the TV series. He was friends with Ren and had once loved Eri Aikawa, Ren's girlfriend. Though he became a Rider to help Aikawa, he still felt that the war between the Riders should be stopped. During the special, Raia was killed by Kamen Rider Verde and was the first Rider expelled from the Rider War.
OOO, Den-O, All Riders: Let's Go Kamen Riders
Kamen Rider Raia was part of a group of reinforcement riders led by Akira Date/Kamen Rider Birth to aid the primary riders in defeating the Rock Great Leader. All the Kamen Riders got on their bikes and performed the All Rider Break attack which destroyed the Great Leader.
Rider Time Ryuki
On the fourth day, Tezuka, along with 3 others in an abandoned house, woke Shinji from his dream and prepared the to face off against Jun's team. Tezuka had already gathered Shinji and the new Kamen Riders Imperer and Verde. In the middle of their face off, they were interfered by Mirror Monsters. After they managed to survive, Tezuka met Jun's team and, later on, told his team that Jun's willing to co-operate and had given Tezuka their Advent Decks to him as a sign of trust.
On the fifth day, Tezuka led the group to meet Jun's gang to co-operate. However, everything turned out to be a ruse as he backstabbed the team by throwing Jun's team back their Advent Decks. This eventually resulted in the death of the new Imperer after he and Jun's team transformed. As they prepared to finish off Shinji and Kimura, they were interrupted by Zolda and Ouja, who used his Final Vent to kill Kamen Rider Tiger.
The reason why he betrayed his team was that he had been in a romantic relationship with Jun together. Tezuka, however, eventually betrayed Jun after being tricked by Dark Shinji. During their battle, he regained his lost memories, remembering that he was friends with Shinji.
Tezuka found Kimura and returned his deck, also requesting him to carry him over to Shinji to warn him about his mirror counterpart. Unfortunately, he succumbed to the wounds inflicted by his battle against Gai and passed away before his body was carried over to Shinji.
Kamen Rider Raia
- Punching Power: 10 t (200 AP)
- Kicking Power: 15 t (300 AP)
- Maximum Jump Height: 40 m
- Maximum Running Speed: 100 m per 5 seconds
- Sight & Hearing: 10 km
Tezuka can transform into Kamen Rider Raia using his Advent Deck and V-Buckle upon forming a contract with Evildiver. His Visor, the Evil Visor (エビルバイザー Ebiru Baizā), is small shield mounted on his left arm. Raia's punching power, kicking power, and jump height are identical to Knight's, but he is slightly slower.
Through the use of the Swing Vent Advent Card, Raia can arm himself with the Evil Whip (エビルウィップ Ebiru Wippu), a whip derived from Evildiver's tail. Raia can also use the Copy Vent to summon a copy of his opponent's weapon
By using his Final Vent, Raia can execute his finisher, the Hide Venom (ハイドベノン Haido Benon), in which he rides on Evildiver's back and rams into the enemy.
- Height: 205 cm
- Weight: 99 kg
- Punching Power: 15 t (300 AP)
- Kicking Power: 22.5 t (450 AP)
- Maximum Jump Height: 63 m
- Maximum Running Speed: 100 m per 4 seconds
- Sight & Hearing: 70 km
Kamen Rider Raia Survive (仮面ライダーライアサバイブ Kamen Raidā Raia Sabaibu) is Raia's Survive Form, assumed by using the Survive Shippu Advent Card. It never appeared in any media but can be seen in concept art.
In this form, Raia's Rider Visor transforms into a bow-like weapon called the Evil Visor-Zwei (エビルバイザーツバイ Ebiru Baizā Tsubai).
- Main article: EvilDiver
- Advent Deck - Transformation device and Advent Card holder
- V-Buckle - Transformation belt
- Advent Cards - Trinkets that enable a Rider to summon Contract Monsters, access equipment, and use special abilities
- Evil Visor - Raia's Visor and personal weapon that enables him to use Advent Cards
- Evil Visor-Zwei - Upgraded version of the Evil Visor used by Raia Survive
- Ride Shooter - Motorcycle used by any Rider to enter the Mirror World
- Kamen Ride: Raia: A Rider Card containing the power of Kamen Rider Raia. Used by Diend to summon Kamen Rider Raia armed with Swing Vent. First used in the World of Shinkenger to fight Shinken Gold. Diend uses it again in the World of Decade to fight Ouja and KickHopper. Also available to be summoned by Diend in Kamen Rider: Climax Heroes OOO.
Behind the scenes
- Kamen Rider Raia's name and appearance are derived from the Latin word "Raia", which is used in the scientific terms for Rajiformes and Raja, the genera that relates to rays and skates.
- Like other Riders in the war, Tezuka died an ironic death: He made predictions that were always right but sacrificed himself in order to prove his prediction wrong.
- Another ironic death was in Rider Time Ryuki, Tezuka betrayed his team after falling in love with Jun, only to betray him also and dying from the wounds defensively inflicted by Gai. He also remembers his whole past with Shinji near-death but dies before he could apologize to Shinji.
- Aside from Ryuki, Raia is the only one who has been a hero in both Ryuki's series and movies. (Knight and Zolda were once anti-heroes while Femme was an anti-hero in 13 Riders.)
- Raia is the first Rider in the franchise to be mostly magenta/pink.
- Tezuka is the first Kamen Rider who had a same-sex relationship, along with Jun Shibaura. In the 13 Riders special however, Tezuka claimed to have been in love with Ren's girlfriend, Eri Ogawa. Whether this means Tezuka is bisexual or his love for Jun was the result of his missing memories is unknown.
- Chris Ramirez & Quinn - Miyuki's American counterparts in Kamen Rider Dragon Knight.
- Kamen Rider Raia (A.R. World) - The user of the Kamen Rider Raia powers in Kamen Rider Decade.