|This article is about a/an rider in Kamen Rider Fourze and Kamen Rider OOO.|
Michal Minato (湊 ミハル Minato Miharu) is a young man from the future who operates as the heroic Kamen Rider Aqua (仮面ライダーアクア Kamen Raidā Akua). He first appeared in "Kamen Rider × Kamen Rider Fourze & OOO: Movie War Mega Max" during the Kamen Rider OOO Chapter where he was introduced under possession by the Greeed Poseidon and operated as the villainous Kamen Rider Poseidon (仮面ライダーポセイドン Kamen Raidā Poseidon).
- 1 History
- 2 Video Game appearances
- 3 Personality
- 4 Powers and Abilities
- 5 Rider Powers
- 6 Equipment
- 7 Behind the scenes
- 8 Notes
- 9 Appearances
- 10 References
- 11 See Also
Hailing from the 2050s (possibly 2051 when adding 40 years to 2011), Michal gained the Aqua Driver and the Aqua Miraider to fight monsters that appeared in his time, but ironically couldn't transform at first because he was afraid of water and his overall fear of being too weak to become a Rider. Receiving the Poseidon Driver from the elderly Kosei Kougami, Kougami believes that the Poseidon Driver can help Michal overcome his timidness and fear, and grant him more power. However this proved futile, and even as Poseidon, Michal couldn't win against the creatures of his time, lost, and Michal was knocked out of his transformation. Just as he was about to give up, the black hole that was created by Kiyoto Maki's death appears, and the Core Medals and Cell Medals from the past entered his body, resulting in a Greeed forming inside the Poseidon Medals. This new Greeed develops an intense desire to fight, and Michal is almost instantly overwhelmed by the new being. With Michal's personality subdued, Kamen Rider Poseidon fights in their home time period for a brief while, but after a time anomaly forms as a result of a meteor containing SOLU crashing into the ocean in the present day, the Poseidon entity sees its chance and dives through, heading off to fight the Kamen Riders of the past.
It arrives in the era of Kamen Rider OOO, and easily overwhelms a small troop of Kougami's soldiers, but is quickly intercepted by Ankh and Eiji Hino, who take some of his Cores in order to fight back. Poseidon flees to recuperate. Without the extra Cores to stabilize him, Michal is gaining control. Eiji confronts the dark Rider, and suppresses the Greeed's personality, but it soon resurfaces. After Kamen Rider Poseidon loses more of the Core Medals in his body to Eiji and Ankh, the Greeed splits apart with Michal, gaining his own body in the form of Kamen Rider Poseidon. Michal profusely apologizes to Eiji and Ankh, telling his story to the two to Ankh's amusement. But Eiji tells him the true meaning of being a Kamen Rider, having the courage to see tomorrow no matter what it may bring. Just as the battle with Poseidon seems bleak, Michal arrives on his Aqua Miraider, and realizes that what he needed was not power, but courage, and transforms into the heroic Kamen Rider Aqua. He turns the tides quickly, and uses his Oceanic Break together with OOOs' Prominence Drop to finish Poseidon off. He thanks OOO for all he has done for him, then leaps through the time anomaly on the Aqua Miraider, to protect his time as a Kamen Rider.
During the final battle against Kannagi's forces, he returns to the present and gives Eiji the Super Core Medals. He then dashes off to aid the Seven Legendary Riders in battle against the eight Dummy Inhumanoids, going up against a recreation of Greeed Kazari and destroying it with his Aqua Vortex.
Video Game appearances
Kamen Rider Battle Ganbaride
Kamen Rider Aqua appears as a playable character in this video game.
Kamen Rider Aqua appears as a playable character with other Riders and monsters in Kamen Rider Break Joker.
Super Hero Generations
Kamen Rider Aqua is a playable character with others Kamen Riders of the Neo-Heisei era in the video game.
Kamen Rider Buttobasoul
Kamen Rider Aqua is a playable character in Kamen Rider Buttobasoul.
Michal is a very timid young man who was chosen to become Aqua, but was actually afraid of the water that powered the Driver. Because of this, it sapped his confidence and made him fear monsters. When Kougami offered him the stronger Poseidon Driver in the hopes of overcoming the fear in Michal, it did not work as Michal and decided to call it quits after losing. That would eventually cause Poseidon to turn into a Greed and possess him into doing its evil work.
Coming into the past, he admited to Eiji about his fears and did not understand how Eiji was able to become so strong and wished to become stronger. In the end, Michal came to the conclusion that what he needed wasn't power, but the courage to fight, something he lacked when he first became a Rider. Using this newfound courage, he defeats Poseidon and the rest of the dummies created by Kannagi.
Powers and Abilities
- Adept Waterbike Riding: Michal is able to ride a motor waterbike with adeptness.
- Height: 198cm
- Weight: 80kg
- Punching Power: 5.8 t.
- Kicking Power: 18 t.
- Maximum Jump Height: 80 m.
- Maximum Running Speed: 100 m. per 5.8 sec.
Aqua, unlike Poseidon, does not use Core Medals, but water as energy to transform. Through the Aqua Driver, a Driver that absorbs water from the surrounding environment to produce a substance called Manas Aqua (マナスアクア Manasu Akua), Michal transforms into Kamen Rider Aqua. Compared to to Poseidon who uses brute force in most of his attacks, Aqua utilizes Tai Ch'i Quan in his fighting style. His Rider Kicks are the Oceanic Break (オシアニックブレイク Oshianikku Bureiku) slide kick and the Aqua Vortex (アクアボルテックス Akua Borutekkusu) flying roundhouse kick.
Kamen Rider Aqua is composed of the following parts:
- Aqua Lops (アクアロプス Akua Ropusu) - The head.
- Bone Timber (ボーンティンバー Bōn Tinbā) - A head shell armor that covers the head. It is made out of a special titanium-based alloy that is not reproducible in modern times.
- Drain Sensor (ドレインセンサー Dorein Sensā) - The two fins on top of the head. The atmosphere and/or water flow pass through the central groove, allowing Aqua to detect the surrounding environemnt and detect the presence of enemies in his blind spot.
- Scale Bit (スケイルビット Sukeiru Bitto) - The grey armor sections. They cover the Bone Timber where water resistance is likely to occur. Its surface is very similar to the fine structure of aquatic scales, allowing it to support Aqua's underwater activities. The surface is very similar to the fine structure of aquatic scales and supports underwater activities.
- Illuminal Sights (イルミナルサイト Iruminaru Saito) - The eyes. They are visual organs composed of high-precision compound eyes. The maximum viewing distance is 1.5 kilometers and the viewing angle is 280 degrees or more. In particular, it is highly sensitive to light, allowing them to be seen even in the dark deep sea as if one were staring at them in noontime.
- Pass Crystal (パスクリスタル Pasu Kurisutaru) - The crystal between the eyes. It is a supersensory organ that is said to be able to captures sensations beyond the five senses, and even perceives the passage of time.
- Seek Pulsers (シークパルサー Shīku Parusā) - The black marks underneath the eyes. They are oscillators that vibrate the atmosphere and/or water. They function similar to the sonar of bats or aquatic organisms, and the Drain Sonar precieves the reflection of any vibration that is emitted.
- Hyde Crusher (ハイドクラッシャー Haido Kurasshā) - The blue mouth section. It is a respiratory organ that can not only filter harmful substances, poisonous substances, and gases from the atmosphere; it can also absorb a small amount of oxygen dissolved in water.
- Sturm Liquid Lung (シュトロームリキッドラング Shutorōmu Rikiddo Rangu) - The chest armor. The exterior is highly permeable, allowing air to be pass through in order to cool the chest's strengthening muscles. It also reactivates Manas Aqua collected by the whole body by absorbing water and water vapor collected in the atmosphere and sending it to the Aqua Driver. (Note: 'sturm' is German for 'storm'.)
- Sturm Pads (シュトロームパッド Shutorōmu Paddo) - The shoulders. Due to its layered mesh-like armor structure, it is highly permeable, allowing it to exert a stable force by releasing the heat and energy generated in the body.
- Hydrobe (ハイドローブ Haidorōbu) - The bodysuit. It is made out of a semi-liquid metal called Hydely Light (ハイドリーライト Haidorī Raito), a futuristic metal that is both flexible and robust, and is said to be strong against high temperatures without corroding like other metals.
- Liquid Bezels (リキッドベゼル Rikiddo Bezeru) - The white lines. They are a type of pipeline that covers the whole body to circulate Manas Aqua.
- Sturm Limes (シュトロームリムス Shutorōmu Rimusu) - The lower arm armor. An amplification tank capable of circulating Manas Aqua is installed inside, and power can be strengthened by focusing them on the arms.
- Aquan Fistols (アクアンフィストル Akuan Fisutoru) - The hands. They are covered with Hydely Light, which does not interfere with delicate finger movements, resulting in high defensive performance.
- Fractlix Gardners (フラクトリクスガードナー Furakutorikusu Gādonā) - Armor that protects the back of the hands. The liquid bezel covers it in a fine mesh pattern, allowing Aqua's grip strength to exceed that of a human's by over 30 times when at full power.
- Sturm Gardners (シュトロームガードナー Shutorōmu Gādonā) - Armor parts located on the thigh sections. In addition to protecting the thighs from impact, they also have the function of releasing heat energy, generated by the strengthening muscles of the legs, and cooling it.
- Fractlix Nirudo (フラクトリクスニールド Furakutorikusu Nīrudo) - The knee armor. Although they are small, it has high-density armor, and as a result the extended knee kick is very powerful.
- Membrane Rings (メンブレンリング Menburen Ringu) - The ankle armor. They are reinforced biomembranes that protects the ankles where the liquid bezel has changed. A concentration of Manas Aqua prevents damage to the joints and muscles due to intense movement.
- Beat Soles (ビートソール Bīto Sōru) - The feet. They are lightweight but extremely sturdy metal boots. Underwater, they reduce water resistance and enhances Aqua's underwater mobility.
- "Same, Kujira, Ookamiuo!"
- ―Transformation announcement[src]
- Height: 204cm
- Weight: 89kg
- Punching Power: 3.5 t.
- Kicking Power: 7 t.
- Maximum Jump Height: 45 m.
- Maximum Running Speed: 100 m. per 6.1 sec.
Similar to OOO, Michal puts three Core Medals on the Poseidon Driver, and transforms into the evil Kamen Rider Poseidon. The chest design has an inverse triangular position, which is arranged in the order of the Same on the right, Kujira on the left, and Ookamiuo below the Same and Kujira, unlike OOO's vertical (on his chest) and diagonal (on his Driver) arrangement. Kamen Rider Poseidon is designed with the light blue Same Head, the dark blue Kujira Arms with a whale's head on right shoulder and whale's tail on the left shoulder, and the dark red Ookamiuo's legs. Kamen Rider Poseidon uses an extended spear, the Deepest Harpoon (ディーペストハープーン Dīpesuto Hāpūn) as his weapon.
Kamen Rider Poseidon is actually a Greeed inside Michal's body. The Greeed overtook Michal's body and arrived in the present. It has the ability to create Waste Yummy, similar to how Uva did. The Greeed split from Michal, after losing some Core Medals to Eiji and Ankh. He was able to form his own body using Core Medals and Cell Medals, in the form of Kamen Rider Poseidon. Soon after, Poseiden was defeated at the hands of Kamen Rider OOO Tajadol Combo's Prominence Drop and Kamen Rider Aqua's Oceanic Break. However, Kamen Rider Poseidon's Core Medals are taken for Lem Kannagi to transform into the Super GingaOh.
- Poseidon Driver: Transformation belt
- O Medals: Transformation device
- Deepest Harpoon: Personal weapon
Behind the scenes
Michal Minato was portrayed by Atsushi Arai (荒井 敦史 Arai Atsushi). As Kamen Rider Aqua, his suit actor was Eitoku (永徳) while his suit actor as Kamen Rider Poseidon was Jun Watanabe (渡辺 淳 Watanabe Jun). In Kamen Rider Zi-O, his suit actor was Yasunari Tsukagoshi (塚越 靖誠 Tsukagoshi Yasunari).
- Aqua is designed to resemble Kamen Riders #1 and #2, but powered by water instead of wind.
- Aqua's use of a Jet Ski and water theme could possibly be an homage to Sea Jetter Kaito, a super hero from a theme park show in Ishinomaki, which is also home to the Ishinomori Manga Museum.
- Michal is the second Rider who has no fighting spirit at first until being encouraged by someone, then casts away a good Rider form and assumes an evil one due to possession by an evil spirit from another time period, and eventually involves himself in defeating that spirit. The first is Ryotaro Nogami.
- Also like Ryotaro, the Rider form assumed to defeat the evil spirit surpasses the evil Form's stats and powers.
- The obscured monsters from the future briefly shown in his flashbacks are all actually Undead, namely the Tortoise Undead, Caucasus Undead, Paradoxa Undead, and a modified Trial F. However, it is unclear whether it is just a case of suit reuse or if they were meant to be the Undead unsealed again in the future.
- His first name, Michal, means "brook" or "stream, which could be a reference to Kamen Rider Aqua.
- The design of Kamen Rider Aqua's helmet is slightly similar to the design of Kamen Rider Faiz's helmet.
- Kamen Rider OOO
- Kamen Rider × Kamen Rider Fourze & OOO: Movie War Mega Max
- Kamen Rider OOO: Ankh's Resurrection, The Medal of the Future and The Leading of Hope
- Movie War Mega Max: Gather! Warriors of Glory
- Kamen Rider × Kamen Rider Fourze & OOO: Movie War Mega Max
- Poseidon - Original Kamen Rider Poseidon