|This article is about a/an rider in Kamen Rider 555.|
- "You survived because of me. So having you die so I can live... Is just natural. I'll live... for "your" sake too."
- ―Masato's spirit trying to convince Faiz to give up.[src]
Masato Kusaka (草加 雅人 Kusaka Masato) was a member of Ryusei School who was apparently absent from the reunion, but signed the autograph card. He was the only Ryuseiji who was capable of wearing the Kaixa Gear without disintegrating afterwards and as such is the Gear's primary wearer. As a child, Masato was often bullied and alone with only Mari Sonoda as his friend. Through his childhood, he falls in love with Mari, though his feelings were not reciprocated back.
When he was child, he was a crybaby and often to be helped by Mari, the reason of his desire of love to Mari. After the murder attempt on his classmate by Orphnochs, he developed a personal vendetta against them. However, his vendetta is not pure or just, as he will involve anyone to be in a dangerous position so he can gain the best advantage to destroy an Orphnoch.
In general, Kusaka is calm and polite towards everyone, except for Takumi. This, however is a guise to his true nature that even Takumi himself can see, he shows his true colors as a selfish, vindictive, and skilled manipulator who has no qualms of driving a wedge between Takumi and those around him like Kiba so he can have Mari for himself. With his twisted personality, he loves to betray anyone as long as he achieves his goals and doesn't seem to regret it, no matter the outcome. He will join any physical routine for testing his strength and often to lap his palms. His behavior to dust his palms is because remembering his incident from the Orphnoch's beginning attack, as such his hatred towards Orphonchs is so fanatical beyond belief, to the point he preys on the likes of Sawada or Takumi (who is also revealed to be one), regardless of whether they "have souls" or not and swore to destroy them all out of spite. Unlike his foil, Takumi, whose reasons of fighting Orphnochs for the sole purpose of protecting humanity, Kusaka's reasons are all motivated with petty vengeance.
Like most Secondary Riders that came before and after him, Kusaka starts off hostile towards the main protagonist, but unlike the rest of them, he continues to remain as a nasty and spiteful person and refused to befriend the main Rider. While this is somewhat understandable due to his past, it should be noted that Takumi tried to understand his pain and help him despite being treated cruelly by Kusaka thus mostly making this moot. It is also notable that Kusaka spent a great deal wallowing in self pity while stating that others such as Takumi wouldn`t understand his pain despite Takumi trying to understand said pain showing hypocrisy.
His cruelty towards every Orphnoch in the series is his fatal flaw, he refuses to determine of the alignment of other Orphnochs between good and evil and is deadset to eliminate them without second thought, it eventually lead to his karmic death at the hands of Kiba.
In Kamen Rider Zi-O, it is shown that Kusaka is not completely bereft of any positive and empathic qualities. As a result of a time paradox due to the creation of Another Faiz, and the fact that said Another Rider tried to keep his significant other alive, he is more willing to kill Karin out of mercy to relieve her of the life imposed to her by Sakuma. However, this doesn't change with the fact that his hostile relationship between him and Takumi is still intact.
As stated above, Kusaka had a history with the Orphnochs which fueled his hatred for them. While originally acting friendly towards Takumi, he eventually showed his true colors and his motives were revealed.
Masato Kusaka is the only one to have worn all three of the Kamen Rider belts (Faiz, Kaixa and Delta). He wore the Faiz Gear to trick Yuji Kiba. He wore the Delta Gear to battle the Beetle Orphnochs (Rhinoceros and Stag).
Masato had a great deal more Orphnoch DNA implanted into him, allowing him to use the Kaixa gear safely for a time, but near the end of the series, it began to wear off, and using the Kaixa Gear was becoming increasingly harmful to him. In the end, his neck was snapped by Yuji Kiba, who claimed the Kaixa Gear as his own towards the end of the series and dies after all of his Orphnoch DNA ran out causing himself to disintegrate into dust with Takumi and the others being unaware of his death until later when his picture of a young Mari was found. This caused Takumi`s anger to intensify as he cursed all Orphnochs including himself.
In the alternate reality movie Kamen Rider 555: Paradise Lost, Masato was killed by Leo. Keitaro Kikuchi briefly wore the Kaixa Gear by drinking the experimental transformation elixir, 'Transform 1-Shot' (変身一発 Henshin Ippatsu) and killed the Lion Orphnoch. Due to the elixir, Keitaro was unharmed. However, when the formula ran out, the Kaixa Gear disintegrated instead.
Kamen Rider Decade
In Decade, Kaixa is a wildcard Kamen Rider who attacks Decade after he is taken to another world by Kiva-la. He is under the impression that Decade is a hindrance to his own agenda and seeks to take the Decadriver from him. He eventually concedes when Decade is returned to the World of Kiva.
Kamen Rider Kaixa reappears briefly in later airings of the series finale, using his Side Basshar to attack Decade and Wataru's group. He is seemingly killed in the chaos afterwards alongside many other Riders. In Kamen Rider Decade: The Last Story, Decade is shown to hold a Side Basshar card, labeled as a Kaixa card. Kaixa was presumably restored with all the other Riders after the destruction (and subsequent revival) of Decade ended the Rider War and the worlds were restored, though how he was still alive in the first place considering his fate in 555 is unclear.
OOO, Den-O, All Riders: Let's Go Kamen Riders
Kamen Rider Kaixa was part of a group of reinforcement riders led by Akira Date/Kamen Rider Birth to aid the primary riders in defeating the Rock Great Leader. All the Kamen Riders got on their bikes and performed the All Rider Break attack which destroyed the Great Leader.
Kamen Rider Taisen
- "Why... Why does someone as hollow as you with nothing to protect get to live? Why do I have to die?!"
- ―Masato curses Takumi before he dies.[src]
At an unknown point of time, he as Kaixa were fighting the Horse Orphnoch, however he got himself killed while Faiz battled the Arch Orphnoch. Overpowered by the Horse Orphnoch and getting knocked out of his transformation, the Horse Orphnoch then threw a fireball at him to finish Kusaka off. Desperately reaching for the Kaixa Gear, he couldn't move anymore due to his burns and injuries. Faiz went to his side with Kusaka complaining on why Faiz survived while he had someone to protect. Crying out for life, he disintegrated.
Years later, while the Kamen Riders were fighting Badan, Masato's spirit appeared before Faiz and taunted Takumi into his feelings of guilt, having the Rider interfere with Wizard and X. However Keisuke and Haruto convinced him to move on as the spirit started to disappear.
Kamen Rider Zi-O
Because of the timeline had changed, Masato was still alive in 2018. He was first seen about to kill Karin Yamabuki, but the latter was stopped by Tsukuyomi. He soon followed Tsukuyomi and Karin, proceeding to kill again but was stopped by Takumi.
It was later revealed that Masato was asked by Karin to kill her for stopping Sakuma's doing on killing the girls with the same birth and age as her, including that she and Sakuma are his friends at the same school. Masato was actually trying to stop Sakuma instead of killing Karin, but as he was no longer Kamen Rider Kaixa, he had no chance and was about to be killed until Takumi came to him.
Video Game appearances
Kamen Rider 555 video game
Kamen Rider Battride War series
Kamen Rider Battride War
Kaixa is introduced as one of NPC allies character.
Kamen Rider Battride War II
Kaixa is one of selectable summonned assist only Riders in Kamen Rider: Battride War II.
Kaixa made his playable debut in Kamen Rider: Battride War Genesis.
On September 13, 2015, Kohei Murakami announced that he reprise his role as Kaixa in this video game onwards.
In this game, Kaixa's default playstyles is one of the well-round character to pick. However, when using his unique limited power up called Cursed Belt Mode, Kaixa sacrifices a small half of super meter in 20% (Starting Level) > 15 (Level 25) > 10% (Level 30 onwards) each level ups to utilize a powerful version of his special moves. He can also activate Cursed Belt Mode while during a normal attack string combo before performing a certain special move.
Due to Kaixa not having a final form, he is rides SB-913V Side Basshar Battle Mode as his final mode. Like Kamen Rider Birth Day in this final state, Side Basshar Battle Mode also cannot jump or guard unlike in TV series for some reason, as well as sacrifices amount of super meter when using Transportation Mode or Tag Partnered Double Rider Kick.
- Height: 189cm
- Weight: 95kg
- Punching Power: 3t
- Kicking Power: 7t
- Maximum Jump Height: 30m
- Maximum Running Speed: 100m per 6.3 seconds
Once transformation is completed, the Kaixa Armor has several key features in its design to protect protection to the user. Like all gear, the Kaixa armor manifests when the Kaixa Driver generates Photon Blood, a glowing substance generates the soft Sol Foam suit, Sol Metal armor, and Fullmetal Lung chest armor via traveling through the two yellow Photon Streams lines that gives Kaixa "greater strength at the cost of speed". The steams end at the Photon Terminals at the gauntlets and Power Anklet greaves, the right Anklet having a Energy Holster that the Kaixa Pointer can be connected it. The helmet is unique due to its Global Feeler antenna to link up to Smart Brain's networks and the X Finder visor that gives Kaixa incredible vision to see in darkness, giving the illusion of a glowing eye, and a limited amount of x-ray vision.
- Height: 186cm
- Weight: 91kg
- Punching Power: 2.5t
- Kicking Power: 5t
- Maximum Jump Height: 35m
- Maximum Running Speed: 100m per 5.8 seconds
Kusaka transformed into Faiz and attacked Yuji Kiba to trick him into thinking Takumi was attacking him, and subsequently to trick Takumi into thinking that Kiba had stolen the Faiz Gear.
Once transformation is completed, the Faiz Armor has several key features in its design to offer protection to the user. Like all Rider gears, the Faiz armor manifests when the Faiz Driver generates Photon Blood, a glowing substance generates the soft Sol Foam suit, Sol Metal armor, and Fullmetal Lung chest armor via traveling through the red Photon Streams that ends at the Photon Terminals at the gauntlets and Power Anklet greaves, the right Anklet having a Energy Holster that the Faiz Pointer can be connected to. The helmet is unique due to its Global Feeler antenna to link up to Smart Brain's networks and Ultimate Finder visor that gives Faiz incredible vision to see in darkness, giving the illusion of a glowing eye, and a limited amount of x-ray vision.
The Delta Gear gives the wearer the following abilities when they transform. Rider Statistics
- Height: 190cm
- Weight: 96kg
- Punching Power: 3.5t
- Kicking Power: 8t
- Maximum Jump Height : 38m
- Maximum Running Speed: 100m per 5.7 seconds
The Delta Armor has several key features in its design. Unlike the Gear, the armor only exists after the wearer transforms.
- Full Metal Lung: The vest armor of the Rider provides the most protection, being able to withstand Anti-tank weaponry.
- Global Feeler: The antenna on the Rider’s head can be used to communicate with the Smart Brain Satellite and the Smart Brain computer network.
- Photon Blood: A glowing substance that provides all of the Rider’s powers and generates all of the physical features of the armor. The Photon Blood is generated from the Delta Driver.
- Photon Streams: The path that the Photon Blood travels through the Rider’s armor. In Delta, this path is blue when transforming, and white after transformed.
- Photon Terminals: Where the Photon Streams connect with the gauntlets and greaves.
- Sol Foam/Metal: Soft parts of the armor are made of Sol Foam, and the hard parts are made of Sol Metal. This substance is generated by the Delta Driver to form complex machinery that is powered by Photon Blood. If the Foam or Metal are damaged, the armor switches off and resets itself.
- Ultimate Finder: The large eyepieces of the Rider give them incredible vision. They can see in darkness with no problems and have an unlimited amount of X-ray vision.
- SB-913B Kaixa Driver - Kaixa's transformation device.
- SB-913C Kaixa Shot - Digital camera-shaped knuckle-duster.
- SB-913B2 Kaixa Pointer - binocular-shaped pointer which enables to produce an energy drill deathblow.
- SB-913X Kaixa Blaygun - A special weapon that is both a pistol, a dagger and a lightsaber.
- SB-913V Side Basshar - Kaixa's sidecar motorcycle that can transform in a robot-like Battle Mode.
Behind the scenes
Masato Kusaka is portrayed by Kohei Murakami (村上 幸平 Murakami Kōhei). As a child, he is portrayed by Yusuke Ito (伊藤 祐介 Itō Yūsuke). He later portrayed Bud in Doubutsu Sentai Zyuohger. As Kamen Rider Kaixa, his suit actor was Makoto Ito (伊藤 慎 Itō Makoto).
- Masato is the only character in the series to use all 3 Rider Gears at least once and is the only Kamen Rider to have access to three different powers.
- Masato is the first Secondary Rider who is deceased, followed by Kaito Kumon. Both even tried to kill the Primary Rider on multiple occasions. But unlike Kaito, he is the only Secondary Rider who never truly befriended the Primary Rider, as in the end Kaito understood Kouta's strength.
- In episode 13 of the original series, during their early encounters, Takumi sarcastically warned Masato not to get beaten by a horse and die . This statement ironically becomes justified in episode 48, where Masato was killed by Yuji, the Horse Orphenoch as Kaixa.
- It is ironic how much Takumi cared for Kusaka in Kamen Rider Taisen when he doesn't really deserve such feelings considering all the terrible things he had done.
- As an example, in the Faiz novel, he rapes Mari and receives comeuppance by Kiba who literally rips him limb-from-limb. Later, he is then "taken in" by his own Stalker with a Crush, Saya Kimura. However, the events within the novel are considered non-canon as some fans were uncomfortable on the subject of rape which will quite likely never even be mentioned in the main franchise.
- A meme holiday many Kamen Rider fans on the internet partake in is called "Kaixa Day", which takes place on September 13 (A play on the Kaixa Phone's transformation keycode [9-1-3]). The fans partake in a celebration of what an "irredeemable jerk" Masato is and do various posts on forums that make fun of or celebrate the character. 
- To commemorate the said day, on September 13, 2015, Masato's actor Kohei Murakami appeared as a guest in a Kamen Rider outdoor stageshow to show off his transformation pose dedicated to his fans.
- Furthermore, the Complete Selection Modification Kaixa Gear started its pre-orders on September 13, 2017.
- Masato is the first Secondary Rider to be evil, followed by Hajime Aikawa and Kaito Kumon. However, Masato evil's actions are the only action for foolish desire (killing all Orphnoch he sees indiscriminately due to hatred and trying to get Takumi killed for making Mari close to him, as well as being one of the Orphnoch), while as for the others:
- Hajime Aikawa is evil only because of his Undead instincts. After accepting humanity, Hajime fights his evil nature by the aids of the Mantis Undead, Human Undead, and Paradoxa Undead, and he only relapses back to the Joker Undead once the final Undead other than himself was sealed, due to his status as the Joker and his "mission" to annihilate all life if he was the last remaining in order to restart the Battle Royale.
- Kaito Kumon is not actually evil as his goal is to create the world where no weaklings will be trampled anymore. While his goal is noble, his methods in doing so are stated wrong due to being a representative of rage by Kouta.
- The species of Hornet Masato's Rider form is based off of is the Vespa luctuosa, a wasp with a very potent and deadly venom.
- Out of all Original Riders that returned in Decade, he's one of the two already deceased Riders to make a return in Decade, along with Shun Kageyama (Kamen Rider PunchHopper).
- He is one of the Legend Riders not to have a Ridewatch on-screen, along with Hiiro Kagami, although their respective Ridewatches only appears in the toyline.