|This article is about a/an rider in Kamen Rider Black and Kamen Rider Black RX.|
Kohtaro Minami (南 光太郎 Minami Kōtarō), alternatively spelt Kotaro Minami, is the main protagonist of both Kamen Rider Black and Kamen Rider Black RX. Starting with Kamen Rider Decade and continuing onto most of the later crossover movies, there are two Kohtaro Minamis who are independently Black and RX.
Kamen Rider Black
Kohtaro was born on the day of a solar eclipse, along with his stepbrother Nobuhiko Akizuki, within the same hospital. Gorgom noticed this, and both brothers were entitled heirs to their leader, the Creation King's throne. After Kohtaro's parents both died (when Kohtaro was around 3 years old) as a result of an apparent accident, Prof. Akizuki then adopted Kohtaro alongside Nobuhiko as if they were brothers. On the night of their 19th birthday, they were captured by Gorgom and were remade into cyborgs and infused with Kingstones. Kohtaro received the "Stone of the Sun" to become Century King Black Sun (世紀王ブラックサン Seikiō Burakku San). However before the final brainwashing Soichiro Akizuki interrupted the final stage of the process with Kohtaro barely escaping.
Having been pursued by Gorgom after his escape, Kohtaro discovers his newfound ability to turn into the a grasshopper humanoid as a result of their surgery, along with his newfound super strength and cyborg abilities.
After receiving a letter from Soichiro, Kohtaro secretly meets with his foster father and learns the truth about his childhood. Soichiro reveals to Kohtaro that he agreed to join Gorgom in order to receive funding for his archaeological research in exchange for Kohtaro and Nobuhiko to be operated on during their 19th birthdays. When Kohtaro's father had refused to join the organization, Gorgom had him and Kohtaro's mother assassinated. After Prof. Akizuki is killed by five of Gorgom's Spider Mutants, Kohtaro transforms once again and takes the title of "Kamen Rider Black." He then vows vengeance against Gorgom and seeks to rescue Nobuhiko from their clutches. As Black, Kohtaro gains support from Nobuhiko's younger sister, Kyoko, as well as Nobuhiko's girlfriend Katsumi. He would often be found working part-time with the two girls at the Capitola café. He would also gain allies in fight against Gorgom, such as Interpol officer Ryusuke Taki and Gorgom's own Whale Mutant.
Eventually Kohtaro reunites with Nobuhiko; however, Nobuhiko was converted into the perfected Century King, Shadow Moon. In their fight, just when Kohtaro was winning the fight, the Creation King temporarily turned Nobuhiko back into human form. This caused Kohtaro to lose the fight as Nobuhiko turned back into Shadow Moon and launched a surprise attack. In a desperate attempt, Kohtaro tried to convince Shadow Moon that Earth belongs to all living things, and that Gorgom's actions were wrong. Shadow Moon in response stabbed him with the Satan Saber. Shadow Moon then reached his hand towards Kohtaro's Kingstone. Just when it seemed all hope was lost though, Kohtaro suddenly turned back into his human form. The human form of Kohtaro reawakened the lingering humanity within Shadow Moon, causing the latter to retreat. Despite retaining his Kingstone though, Kohtaro's wounds were too grave to heal on his own, causing him to die. In response, his remaining family left Japan and people from across the country lost hope in the battle against Gorgom. Luckily though, the Whale Mutant used a special ritual to resurrect Kohtaro, as well as raising his power. Having been revived, Kohtaro fought his way through hordes of monsters until fighting Shadow Moon and unwillingly defeating him. Kohtaro was then mercilessly taunted by Shadow Moon who told him that he shall feel regret for the rest of his life knowing that he killed his best friend and step-brother Nobuhiko. Despite these cruel words, Kohtaro told Shadow Moon to stay alive so they can later escape together.
Using the Satan Saber wielded by Shadow Moon, Black then fought against the Creation King of Gorgom and destroyed him. The base soon started to self destruct which prevented him from getting Shadow Moon out to safety. Kohtaro then looked at the ruins while saying Nobuhiko's name. With Gorgom defeated, Kohtaro visited the Capitola bar before leaving for unknown parts.
- "I am the child of the sun! Kamen Rider Black! RX!"
- ―announcing his transformation to Black RX[src]
Kohtaro's campaign was long and grueling. In one instance, the family's daughter Hitomi is kidnapped by Maribaron in a plot to make her the Crisis Empire's only living heir. Kohtaro attempts to rescue her using Deathgaron, only to land in the Demon World's Desert of Death. He then ends up in a trap set up by Maribaron. Deathgaron kills Hitomi, but in his grief and sorrow, RX invokes a new Rider power, RoboRider. Using his power, RoboRider fatally wounds Deathgaron before learning that the Hitomi killed was a fake and the real one was being taken to the Valley of Miracles. On his way, he meets Joe the Haze who is under the control of Nexticker, freeing him before they and Shigeru are captured by Maribaron and Princess Karuoriya. It was after they break free that Kohtaro realizes the princess is Hitomi, who was abducted to replace the real princess who died and was force grown by the nearby waterfall. When he attempts to restore Hitomi's memory, Kohtaro is forced to surrender when the Triplon captured Shigeru and Joe. Kohtaro was then placed into a room for a hole designed to counter his abilities as both RX and RoboRider for a slow painful death. His rage to save those he love invokes another new form, Biorider. After killing Triplon, with Shigeru's help, Kohtaro succeeded in having Hitomi regain his memory as she and the others are returned to their original ages by the people who originally resided in the valley. With only Joe and the Sahara Children knowing his identity, Kohtaro returns to Earth.
During the middle of the series, Shadow Moon mysteriously returns to seek revenge against him, shortly after, Shadow Moon was finally defeated when RX thrust the Revolcane through Shadow Moon's Kingstone, seemingly effectively turning him good shortly before he died after saving two kids. Looking at Nobuhiko's corpse, Kohtaro remembered Shadow Moon's actions and decided that in the end, Shadow Moon truly turned back into Nobuhiko. He then carried the now human form Nobuhiko's body to place in a location where he could rest in peace. In the finale, he was helped by the 10 veteran Kamen Riders to destroy the Crisis Empire.
In the film, the Crisis Empire devise a plan to defeat Kohtaro Minami by reverting him back to his old form of Kamen Rider Black and sending out several revived monsters after him. However, Kamen Rider Black is assisted by another RX, who used a time warp to help his past self. The two are joined by RX's alternate forms of Roborider and Biorider, and the four Kamen Riders combine their powers to defeat the revived monsters.
Kamen Rider Decade
In Kamen Rider Decade, a two episode arc features two different Kohtaro Minamis - one from a world where he is Black RX, and one where he remains Black. The two even encounter each other. In Kamen Rider Decade: All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker, Black and Black RX appear together again, both portrayed by Tetsuo Kurata. After the battle, RX is one of the few past Riders shown to demorph into his human form, looking identical to the Kohtaro Minami from the World of Black RX; Black never appears in his civilian form in the film. Official material related to the movie, like the pamphlet distributed alongside its theatrical showing, make it clear that Black RX is the original character, but Black is another Kohtaro Minami who never became Black RX.
In the manga adaptation of All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker, based on the original script when the movie was planned to be the original ending of the TV series, Black, with V3 and Super-1 fight Decade, Diend and Kuuga in the final round of the Rider Battle as in the movie. When defeated Black, V3, and Super-1 expresses sadness that he "erased the Riders and can't meet them any more."
Later, also like in the movie, All Riders return to fight Dai-Shocker. Bishum/Sayo Kadoya zaps Yuusuke into Kamen Rider Kuuga Rising Ultimate and he fights Decade. Shadow Moon knows who Black RX is. The other Riders stand back and BLACK says Decade needs to fight this one alone. After Tsukasa gets through to Sayo, Black RX comes to save her from Nobuhiko Tsukikage/Shadow Moon and it is he who destroys the Stone of the Earth.
After this appearance, all following crossovers which featured All Riders would go on to feature Black and Black RX as separate independent characters, even while both continue to be the original Kohtaro Minami, with the difference that one seemingly didn't go through the events of Black RX, without giving any specific explanation regarding it, not even in official extra materials.
Let's Go Kamen Riders
A mishap caused by the Greeed Ankh unintentionally altered the timeline which enabled Shocker to utilize a Cell Medal to create the Shocker Greeed which defeated the Double Riders and seemingly erased the legacy of the Kamen Riders from history. In 2011, after Kamen Rider New Den-O's attempt to repair the damage, he along with Kamen Rider OOO and M-Ankh awaited execution. However, it was revealed the Double Riders had their brainwashing removed by a Shocker scientist.
The Double Riders joined with New Den-O and OOO to fight Shocker's forces, but were eventually defeated. When the order was given to kill everyone, V3 suddenly appeared, asserting that there were more than four riders. V3 was soon followed by all the other revived riders that came after him, including Black and RX, as even though Rider history was changed, the people's memories haven't changed.
After the riders were united, they faced off against Shocker's Great Leader. Later, when joined by a force of extra riders, Black and most other riders got on their motorcycles and performed the "All Rider Break", while RX hopped into his Ridron, together all Riders rammed into the Rock Great Leader and defeating it once and for all with the All Rider Break.
Super Hero Taisen
- "Stop this, Nobuhiko!"
"Don't interfere, Black Sun!"
- ―Kamen Rider Black and Shadow Moon face off once more.[src]
Kamen Rider Black appeared in a flashback where he was part of the group of Riders defeated by Gokai Red along with Hibiki, G3-X, Knight, Zolda, and Gatack. Both Black and RX, as separate heroes, were among the "All Rider" force during the "Super Hero Taisen" incident which resulted in the Kamen Riders and Super Sentai joining forces to defeat both Dai-Shocker and Dai-Zangyack. During the battle, Black RX is shown defeating a Gormin. Afterwards, a separate Kamen Rider Black joined forces with the Hikari Sentai Maskman, as they protected Earth in the same year, and launched an attack against the revived Shadow Moon and General Jark.
Super Hero Taisen Z
Black RX was part of a force of Rider and Sentai reinforcements led by Kamen Rider 1 and Akarenger that came to assist the Riders and Sentai of recent years who were overwhelmed by the revived monster army of the Space Crime Syndicate Madou. The combined forces of superheroes were able to turn the tide against the Madou army. They lined up and used their various finisher attacks to destroy the revived monsters.
After Demon King Psycho was destroyed and the battle was finally over, RX appeared standing on a cliff with all the other heroes who appeared to help, to say goodbye to the heroes of recent years before taking their leave.
Kamen Rider Taisen
Black and Black RX appear as separate Riders again. They first appear telling the Heisei Riders to stay out of the current Badan crisis, attacking Tsukasa and Shotaro to take a young boy Shu Aoi with them when they refuse. Tsukasa escaped with Shu, while Joker faced off both Blacks until Baron arrived to aid Joker. They defeated Black RX with a Punish Mash/Rider Kick combo, though Black manages to escape with the help of Amazon and Super-1. The two Showa Riders beat Baron while he protects Joker from a Rider Kick/Great Slice combo.
In another clash between Heisei and Showa sides, Black aids the first six Showa Kamen Riders. Black points that the wish of the Heisei Riders to bring back their fallen comrades is what allowed Badan to attack. However, the Heisei Riders don't back down and Black faces Kamen Rider Joker, with the two Riders taking each other out with their Rider Kicks. Gaim is soon left as the last Rider standing before Ambassador Darkness of the Badan Empire reveals himself to be Ryo Murasame (Kamen Rider ZX). Together, they execute the Showa Riders' plan to restore and bring together the other Riders.
Black RX takes on various Combatroids alongside Shvarian, while Black faces more Combatroids and Baraom. Midway through the battle, they're attacked by the Generalissimo of Badan when he emerges, although Daigo Kiryu from the Kyoryuger soon takes the battle. After Shu is rescued by Decade, both Black and RX are among the Riders that attack Badan City directly to destroy the Mega Reverse Machine and Badan's headquarters. After the battle is over, both combine their powers for a Rider Syndrome technique, allowing Shu to meet his mother one last time.
However, there was still one final clash between the Heisei Riders and Showa Riders in order for the Heisei Riders to be acknowledged by the Showa Riders. Black initially faces Hibiki while Black RX faces Blade, when the battle gets to the beach, Black faces Double while Black RX faces Ryuki in a sword battle. Shortly afterwards, Black RX faces Double, while Black faces OOO. After the end of the battle between Gaim and Rider 1, all other Riders stop their own battles and agree to protect the world together.
- "We protect the dreams of children, and continue to rain hope for everyone. That’s what it means to be a Kamen Rider!"
- ―Kohtaro Minami reveals the meaning of being a Rider[src]
Affected by the timeline being changed from Rider 3 defeating the Double Riders, Kohtaro never evolved from Black to Black RX and remains as Black even into middle adulthood. Althought he fights against Shocker Rider Drive, he is able to help restore Shinnosuke's memory, but later sacrifices his life to allow him and Kiriko to escape the Drive Pit. Kohtaro is revived a while afterwards and evolved from Black to Black RX. During the Rider Grand Prix, he defends Drive from Mashin Chaser while on the Ridoron. In final battle, he joins Shinnosuke and his friends accompanied with most of good Riders to start their final battle against Shocker and their Great Leader with help of a Super Sentai Team Shuriken Sentai Ninninger.
Chou Super Hero TaisenThe Chou Super Hero Taisen Game World copy of Kamen Rider Black was the red representative and leader of Team Jiro in the tournament for the power of the Kamen Sentai Gorider. They faced Team Takaiwa in their first match, but it's not known who won. Either way, the winner of the match was defeated by Team Genm immediately afterwards.
Kohtaro is an emotional man. After losing his step-brother when he became Shadow Moon, Kohtaro tried very hard to get Nobuhiko back while being saddened at having to fight him. Towards the end of his first series, Kohtaro had to part with not only Battle Hopper who thanked him for everything, but also with Shadow Moon who he unwillingly defeated in combat serving as a maturity point for him. As saddened as he was for failing to save both of them, Kohtaro chose to keep on living his life.
It was shown that Kohtaro is a trendy person who is into the latest stuff. As a running gag, Kohtaro has a rough side, and isn't too adept with plants. This goes even further in his second series, as Kohtaro once gave too much water to Reiko's cactus and tried to make it look like someone stole the cactus while secretly throwing it away. This shows a sneaky and shameless side to his personality.
After becoming Kamen Rider Black RX, Kohtaro reunited with his bike who was also revived into Acrobatter, whom he often talks with rather humorously. Also to be noted is that unlike the previous series, Kohtaro seemingly managed to help Nobuhiko regain his former self as he died after saving some kids. The death of Nobuhiko strengthened his will as a Kamen Rider, causing Kohtaro to swear in his heart that he would defeat the Crisis Empire.
As Black, Kohtaro utilized his power through physical brawling while effectively using his Kingstone Flash against his opponents. He was also able to pilot a helicopter as shown in RX. After becoming RX, Kohtaro gradually became adept at sword fighting and shooting with precise marksmanship, turning him into an even more formidable Kamen Rider.
Appearances in other media
Kamen Rider SD (OVA)
- Main article: Kamen Rider Black RX (SD)
Black RX is the newest Kamen Rider and star of the animated short Kamen Rider SD: Strange!? Kumo Otoko. Black RX is still new to being a Kamen Rider and often leaps before he looks. In the movie, he has fallen in love with an instructor at a local sports club, which GranShocker kidnaps in a plan to destroy the Kamen Riders once and for all. He has been paired up in a team with Kamen Rider 1 and Kamen Rider ZX, the latter of which has taken a liking to teasing the young Rider. His finishing move is slashing his enemies with his Revolcane sword. He rides in a modified version of the Acrobatter motorcycle.
Kamen Rider Black: Taiketsu Shadow Moon
Super Tokusatsu Taisen 2001
Kohtaro Minami/Black/Black RX is a playable character in the Sony PlayStation crossover strategy game Super Tokusatsu Taisen 2001 along with Takeshi Hongo, Hayato Ichimonji, Shiro Kazami, and Joji Yuki.
Kamen Rider: The Bike Race
Kamen Rider: Seigi no Keifu
Kamen Rider Black is soon attacked by Sasoritokages in the "Cable Room". After defeating him, he goes to the "Gas Chamber" and is greeted by General Black. He then sends Isoginjaguar to test Black's power. After Isoginjaguar is defeated, General Black tries to kill Kamen Rider Black by closing the "Gas Chamber", but it fails. Kamen Rider Black then enters the "Command Center" and soon encounters Utsubogamess, but the monster is no match. He comes face to face with General Black who reveals that the Big Gas Machine was created to evolve deceased monsters. He transforms into Hell Chameleon to face Black. With some effort, Kamen Rider Black defeats the General and escapes.
"To be added"
All Kamen Rider: Rider Generation 1 & 2
Kohtaro, as both Black and RX is the unlockable characters on both games. His RoboRider and BioRider forms are used for super move. In the second series, RoboRider can use another technique by increasing the attack power of his Vortech Shooter, while BioRider can use another technique by slashing enemies with his Bioblade.
"To be added"
Both Black and Black RX are among the Showa Riders who make their Battride War debut in this game. Like both versions of IXA, Nago (the playable/2000s version of IXA) and Otoya (tag partner only/1986 IXA), both versions of Black can be paired if using tag partner mode.
As Black, this form is a charge and trapping character, such as having a Vital Charge refill by holding R1 to use Vital Charge via holding square to gain an access of a powerful version of his special attacks once the power is fully charge, such as from Kingstone Flash to Rider Kick automatically, or as a counter when using Kingstone Flash during guard from enemies' attacks. Vital Charge charges can be perform during an attacks. His only super finisher is from Rider Punch to Rider Kick, which access to Vital Charge state. However, when entering the transportation mode riding his Batta Hopper, even while in "final form" state including when wait too long without riding his bike in that state, Vital Charge state is still limited like in normal state, but can be refill via charging on his Rider Chop and Punch special moves, as using Hold R1/D-Pad Up button will only exit his "final form" state and cost amount of meters.
As Black RX, this form has a form change of becoming Roborider and Biorider. As his default current RX form, he has Sun Bask Resurrection Gauge, which can be accessed after its auto-regenration while in this form then dies at 0% reviving him in 50%. His "final form" is in his default RX form, but has a full access on using all Revolcane slash attacks, such as on his normals. However, unlike Ryuki, RX lacks vehicle changes while changing form, such as Roborider's Roboizer and Biorider's Macjabber, including Ridoron, which should a vehicle transportation for his "final form". Instead, as seen while as Roborider and Biorider when using a transportation ride, he will revert to back his default RX form.
Kamen Rider Black & Black RX are playable characters alongside the other Kamen Riders.
Maskman Stage Show at 3 Heroes Korakuen Yuenchi
Maskman Stage Show at Super Hero Korakuen Yuenchi
In a stage show where the maskmen are seen fighting the Underground Empire Tube, Kamen Rider Black, Metalder, Spielban, Shaider, Red & Blue Flash, Change Dragon & Phoenix, Green Two & Dyna Black arrive to assist the team.
Liveman Stage Show at 3 Heroes Korakuen Yuenchi
Liveman Stage Show at Super Hero Korakuen Yuenchi
In a stage show where the Livemen are seen fighting the usual foes, Great Star League Gozma, Reconstructive Experiment Empire Mess, the Underground Empire Tube, the Armored Army & The Sorcerers Clan show up and wind up defeating them. Kamen Riders Black & RX, Jiraiya, Princess Ninja Emiha, Red & Pink Mask, Metalder, Red & Yellow Flash & Change Dragon arrive to assist the Liveman.
Turboranger Stage Show at 3 Heroes Korakuen Yuenchi
Turboranger Stage Show at Super Hero Korakuen Yuenchi
In a stage show where the Turborangers are seen fighting the Hundred Boma Tribes, Kamen Riders Black & RX, Jiban, Jiraiya, Red Falcon, Yellow Lion, Red & Pink Mask, Green Flash & Change Dragon arrive to assist the Team.
Fivemen Stage Show at Super Hero Korakuen Yuenchi
In a stage show where the Fivemen are seen fighting the Silver Imperial Army Zone, Winspector (team), Kamen Rider Black RX, Red & Pink Turbo, Red Falcon, Blue Dolphin & Red Mask arrive to assist the team.
Jetman Stage Show at Super Hero Korakuen Yuenchi
In a stage show where the Jetmen are seen fighting Dimensional War Party Vyram, SolBraver, Knight Fire, Kamen Rider Black RX, Five Red & Five Blue, Red & Pink Turbo, Yellow Lion & Red Mask arrive to assist the team.
Dairanger Stage Show at Super Hero Korakuen Yuenchi
In a stage show where the core Dairangers are seen fighting their usual foes, The Bandora Gang, Dimensional War Party Vyram & Bill Goldy show up and wind up defeating them, so Janperson, Kamen Rider Black, Kiba, Tyranno & Dragon Ranger, Red Hawk & Black Condor arrive to assist the Dairangers.
Children's Day 1996
Kamen Rider Black took part in stopping a Shocker plot, where they, the Space Bosozoku Bowzock, Alien Baltan, Alien Pitt, Alien Bado, and the space monsters, Bemstar and Gigan, to take over the Earth. Kamen Rider Black joined the legendary heroes, such as Kamen Rider 1, Ultraman, Carrangers, UltraSeven, Ultraman Taro and even the king of monsters himself, Godzilla to foil their plot.
After being transformed into a cyborg and having the Kingstone called the "Stone of the Sun" implanted into him, Kohtaro became Kamen Rider Black who used the power of the Kingstone to transform and charge his attacks.
After being ejected into space by the Crisis Empire, Kohtaro's Kingstone evolved giving him the power to use the more powerful and versatile Black RX form.
- Rider Height: 198.7 cm
- Rider Weight: 87 kg
Ability Parameters:[note 1]
- Punching Power: 3 t
- Kicking Power: 5 t
- Maximum Jump Height: 3 m
The Batta Man (バッタ人間 Batta Man, lit. "Grasshopper Man"), also known as Kamen Rider Black (Green Version) (仮面ライダーBLACK（グリーンバージョン） Kamen Raidā Burakku (Gurīn Bājon)), appeared briefly before Kohtaro became Black. He usually transforms into this form first before transitioning into his standard Black battle form.
- Rider Height: 198.7 cm
- Rider Weight: 87 kg
- Eyesight: 1 km
- Hearing: 500 m
- Punching Power: 30 t[note 2]
- Kicking Power: 50 t[note 3]
- Resistance: 1 t
- Maximum Jump Height: 30 m
- Alert Point (アラートポイント Arāto Pointo): A red device on the forehead that sends an alert when there are monsters nearby or an incoming attack
- Multi-Eye: His eyes glow allowing him to see monsters' movements in the dark and detect their weaknesses.
- Sensoring Ears: The triangular structures on both sides of his head would glow purple and enhance his hearing to super-human levels.
- Rider Sensor: Kamen Rider Black's antennaes would move to detect monsters which were moving too fast to be seen.
- Power Stripes: Black's striped bands on his neck and wrists would glow to repel any monsters' sticky fluids or goo on his body.
- Strengthened Skin - Riplasform (強化皮膚・リプラスフォーム Kyōka Hifu Ripurasufōmu): The grasshopper-like exoskeleton that protects Kamen Rider Black's body from attack
- Strengthened Muscle - Filbron (強化筋肉・フィルブローン Kyōka Kin'niku Firuburōn): As the result of the cyborg surgery, the brown muscles under the Strengthened Skin, gives Kamen Rider Black 30 times the strength of a human.
- Rider Punch and Rider Kick: The primary killer moves in the entire series were the Rider Punch and Rider Kick which is charged with Kingstone Energy at the right fist and the right foot. After delivering either one or both moves to any monsters, they would be engulfed in flames before finally destroyed. Kamen Rider Black discovered his weakness when he was fighting a Crab monster. His Rider Punch had no effect on the monster due to its strong shell. To increase his capabilities, Kamen Rider Black trained himself to find a new killer move to destroy the monster. While training, he discovered a new Rider Punch which was more effective and more deadly. These stronger variations of Rider Punch & Rider Kick gave out stronger force of light and were more blinding. The difference between the new and the old moves were that the new ones required Kamen Rider Black to touch his knees before hitting his enemies.
- Rider Chop: This move was very rarely executed and did not have enough power to destroy a monster.
- Dragon Shoot: A move only seen in episode 16. The Dragon Shoot was taught by the Interpol Agent, Ryusuke Taki. Ryusuke threw the Ultra Quartz (a wanted object in the episode) towards Kamen Rider Black where he quickly jumped and kicked it with one foot.
- Kingstone Flash: Perhaps the most powerful technique. By shouting out "Kingstone Flash", Kamen Rider Black could fire a burst of energy from his belt. It worked every time to fend off the villains; whether it's the High Priests or even the powerful Shadow Moon.
Appearances: Black Episodes 1-22, Hurry to Onigashima, 23-38, Terrifying! The Phantom House of Devil Pass, 39-51, Run All Over the World, All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker, Let's Go Kamen Riders, Super Hero Taisen, Kamen Rider Taisen, Super Hero Taisen GP
- Rider Height: 198.8 cm
- Rider Weight: 88 kg
- Eyesight: 3 km
- Punching Power: 70 t
- Lifting Power: 1 t
- Kicking Power: 120 t[note 4]
- Maximum Jump Height: 60 m
- Maximum Running Speed: Approx. 100 m per 1.1 seconds[note 5]
Black RX is the current Kamen Rider form of Kohtaro Minami, a photosynthetic warrior as well as the evolved form of Black, using the sun as his main energy source.
Combat Techniques and Other Body Parts
- RX Kick - Unlike Black's Rider Kick, the RX Kick is a double-foot attack which is twice more powerful than Rider Kick.
- RX Punch - The Black RX version of Rider Punch with twice more power.
- Marco-Eye - Ability to see objects behind obstacle and inside the enemies' body.
- Kingstone Flash - Similar to Black, it is used to either daunt or break the illusion of enemies. Kingstone Flash is not always effective against the Crisis Empire. When Black RX performed Kingstone Flash in front of Gedoll Ridoll, It gave the enemy a chance to absorb all the power of the Kingstone. Black RX has another similar trick to disturb the enemies, which is to releases the light from Sun Riser. It can be assumed that this is exactly like Black's Kingstone Flash, but with twice the power.
Appearances: RX Episodes 1-22, Run All Over the World, 23-47 & All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker. Let's Go Kamen Riders, Super Hero Taisen, Kamen Rider Taisen, Super Hero Taisen GP
- Rider Height: 198.8 cm
- Rider Weight: 88 kg
- Punching Power: 84 t[note 6]
- Kicking Power: 144 t[note 7][note 8]
- Maximum Jump Height: 48 m[note 9]
Roborider (ロボライダー Robo Raidā) is a form where Black RX 's armor becomes bulky and more robotic-like, with black and yellow coloring and his Sunriser resembles a gearbox. During his duration as the "Prince of Sadness", both his strength and defense are enhanced. He is also unharmed by explosions or projectile weapons. The only downsides are that he moves slower than Black RX as well as possessing semi-robotic movement, slowing his reaction time.
Appearances: RX Episodes 15-17, 20, 22, Run All Over the World, 25-27, 30, 31, 34, 38, 40, 41, 43 & 45-47 & All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker.
- Rider Height: 198.8 cm
- Rider Weight: 88 kg
Biorider (バイオライダー Baio Raidā) is a form where Black RX's armor becomes much sleeker, blue and silver all over and his Sunriser belt resembles a single Kingstone one. During his duration as the "Prince of Anger", his speed is enhanced. He can also transform with speed of up to 1000m into gel for escaping traps or attacking enemies while not getting hurt in the process, as he is near invincible while in his gel form. Out of it, however, RX sacrifices armor strength, leaving him more vulnerable to powerful attacks.
Appearances: RX Episodes 17, 18, 20-22, Run All Over the World, 26, 29, 32, 33, 35-37, 39-41, 43 & 45-47 & All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker.
- Vital Charger - Transformation device, belt of Kingstone
- Sunriser - Black RX's transformation device and an alternate form of the Vital Charger
- Revolcane - Black RX's personal weapon
- Wrist Communicator - Black RX's wrist-mounted communicator that he uses to summon his vehicles.
- Vortech Shooter - Roborider's personal weapon
- Bio Blade - Biorider's personal weapon
- Battle Hopper - Black's personal motorcycle
- Acrobatter - The revived version of the Battle Hopper used by Black RX
- Roboizer - An alternate form of the Acrobatter used by Roborider
- Macjabber - An alternate form of the Acrobatter used by Biorider.
- Acrobatter - The revived version of the Battle Hopper used by Black RX
- Road Sector - Black's secondary motorcycle
- Ridoron - Black RX's personal car
Legend Rider Devices
Kamen Ride Black (カメンライドブラック Kamen Raido Burakku) is the Kamen Ride Card which contains the power of Black. In Black×Black RX, Diend snatches the card from Decade following its awakening in the World of Black RX, claiming that Tsukasa can't use it yet, then used the card to summon the Kohtaro Minami from the World of Black. In All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker, Decade Complete Form Jumbo Formation performed the Final Dimension Kick, a variation of the Dimension Kick, transforming the Shōwa Riders, including Black, and Heisei Riders into Kamen Ride cards for Decade to travel through as opposed to Final Attack Ride cards before hitting the target.
In theory, this card would allow Kamen Rider Decade to transform into Black.
Black Medal (BLACKメダル Burakku Medaru): Based on Kamen Rider Black.
Black Switch (BLACKスイッチ Burakku Suitchi, Triangle): An Astroswitch bearing the likeness of Kamen Rider Black. It is exclusive to Kamen Rider Battle: Ganbaride, where it can be used by Kamen Rider Fourze to arm him with the Black Module (BLACKモジュール Burakku Mojūru) on his left leg, which allows Fourze to use Black's Rider Kick finisher.
This Rider Ring which bears the likeness of Kamen Rider Black is exclusive to Kamen Rider Wizard's Wizard Ring toyline. When used by a Wizardriver wearer, it would be able to summon Kamen Rider Black.
Kamen Rider Black Lockseed (仮面ライダーBLACK ロックシード Kamen Raidā Burakku Rokkushīdo): A Lockseed bearing the likeness of Kamen Rider Black, created when Black was defeated in the battle between the Showa Riders and Heisei Riders. The core image depicts the Kingstone while the lid backside image depicts Kamen Rider Black's Rider Kick gesture. When inserted into a Sengoku Driver or when channeled through the Showa Rider Lockseed, it would allow an Armored Rider to assume Black Arms (BLACK アームズ Burakku Āmuzu). It is styled for Gaim, Kurokage, Bujin Gaim, and Kamuro in the toyline.
Kamen Ride Black RX (カメンライドBlack RX Kamen Raido Burakku Āru Ekkusu) is the Kamen Ride Card which contains the power of RX.
In All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker, Decade Complete Form Jumbo Formation performed the Final Dimension Kick, a variation of the Dimension Kick, transforming the Shōwa Riders, including RX, and Heisei Riders into Kamen Ride cards for Decade to travel through as opposed to Final Attack Ride cards before hitting the target.
In theory, this card would allow Kamen Rider Decade to transform into RX.
Black RX Switch (BLACK RXスイッチ Burakku Āru Ekkusu Suitchi, Circle): An Astroswitch bearing the likeness of Kamen Rider Black RX. It is exclusive to Kamen Rider Battle: Ganbaride, where it can be used by Kamen Rider Fourze to arm him with the Revolcane-like Black RX Module (BLACK RXモジュール Burakku Āru Ekkusu Mojūru) on his right arm, which allows Fourze to use Black RX's Revolcrash finisher.
This Rider Ring which bears the likeness of Kamen Rider Black RX is exclusive to Kamen Rider Wizard's Wizard Ring toyline. When used by a Wizardriver wearer, it would be able to summon Kamen Rider Black RX.
Kamen Rider Black RX Lockseed (仮面ライダーBLACK RX ロックシード Kamen Raidā Burakku Āru Ekkusu Rokkushīdo): A Lockseed bearing the likeness of Kamen Rider Black RX, created when Black RX was defeated in the battle between the Showa Riders and Heisei Riders. The core image depicts the Sunriser while the lid backside image depicts the Revolcane. When inserted into a Sengoku Driver or when channeled through the Showa Rider Lockseed, it would allow an Armored Rider to assume Black RX Arms (BLACK RX アームズ Burakku Āru Ekkusu Āmuzu). It is styled for Baron and Gridon in the toyline.
- Shift Ridoron (シフトライドロン Shifuto Raidoron): Allows Drive to activate a Legend Rider Tire Exchange. When used in the DX Drive Driver, it gives the sound for a Type Exchange into Type Ridoron (タイプライドロン Taipu Raidoron).
Black RX Ridewatch (ブラックRXライドウォッチ Black RX Raidowotchi): Based on Kamen Rider Black RX, this Ridewatch would provide access to the BlackRXArmor. It is dated 1988.
Roborider Ridewatch (ロボライダーライドウォッチ Roboraidā Raidowotchi): Based on Roborider, this Ridewatch would provide access to the RoboRiderArmor. It is dated 1988.
Biorider Ridewatch (バイオライダーライドウォッチ Baioraidā Raidowotchi): Based on Biorider, this Ridewatch would provide access to the BioRiderArmor. It is dated 1988.
Behind the scenes
Portrayal and Casting
Kohtaro Minami is played by Tetsuo Kurata (倉田 てつを Kurata Tetsuo). Kurata auditioned for the role of Kohtaro Minami in January 1987, when he had just graduated from high school. In a 2006 interview, Kurata had stated that, during the audition, he hadn't been able to portray the character appropriately, and did not think he would get the role. To his surprise, he was chosen by Shōtarō Ishinomori himself to play the lead role, beating some 8,000 other contestants. During this period, Kurata underwent intense training that included stage combat techniques, physical exercise sessions and acting and singing lessons.
On October 4, 1987, Kamen Rider Black premiered on TBS to public and critical acclaim. The success of the series, which ran for 51 episodes, generated enough interest from Toei Company executives to persuade them to produce a sequel, something unprecedented in the Kamen Rider Series franchise. After finishing his work on Black, Kurata was approached by Toei and renewed his contract for one more year in exchange for a salary raise to work on Black's sequel, Kamen Rider Black RX, this resulted in him becoming the only actor to be the star of two shows in the Kamen Rider Series. In a 1989 magazine interview, Kurata said he preferred Black over Black RX, quoting the comedy from the latter as "excessive". It is rumored that Kurata declined later invitations to reprise his role as Kohtaro in fear of being typecasted, but such rumors were never confirmed.
As Kamen Rider Black, his suit actor was Jiro Okamoto (岡元 次郎 Okamoto Jirō) who also did work for RX along with Roborider and Biorider. Other suit actors were Tokio Iwata (岩田 時男 Iwata Tokio), who did Roborider and Biorider, and Toshiyuki Kikuchi (菊地 寿幸 Kikuchi Toshiyuki) who did work for Roborider.
Tetsuo came back to voice Kohtaro Minami/Kamen Rider Black in Kamen Rider: Seigi No Keifu. In 2009, Kurata returned as Kohtaro Minami in Kamen Rider Decade where he played both his Black and Black RX incarnations at the same time. The alternate RX appeared first appeared in episode 26, RX! Dai-Shocker Attack, then joining forces with the A.R. Black in the next, Black × Black RX. That same year, he had a cameo as the original Kohtaro Minami, untransformed from Black RX, in the movie, Kamen Rider Decade: All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker. In All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker, Jun Watanabe (渡辺 淳 Watanabe Jun) did suitwork for RX, Roborider, and Biorider while Jiro Okamoto also did work for RX and Black.
In Heisei Rider vs. Showa Rider: Kamen Rider Taisen feat. Super Sentai, both Black and Black RX were voiced by Hiroshi Kamiya (神谷 浩史 Kamiya Hiroshi) and Kenichi Suzumura (鈴村 健一 Suzumura Ken'ichi) respectively.
As the leading Rider protagonist of Kamen Rider Black and Kamen Rider Black RX, Kohtaro Minami is labeled Kamen Rider #11 (仮面ライダー11号 Kamen Raidā Jūichigō) and Showa Rider #11 (昭和ライダー11号 Shōwa Raidā Jūichigō) as Kamen Rider Black & Kamen Rider #12 (仮面ライダー12号 Kamen Raidā Jūnigō) and Showa Rider #12 (昭和ライダー12号 Shōwa Raidā Jūnigō) as Kamen Rider Black RX.
Two Kohtaro Minamis
- There have been several instances where Kamen Rider Black and Kamen Rider Black RX have existed independently from each other.
- The first was in Kamen Rider: Run All Over the World where a time warp causes Kohtaro to meet his past self. He also meets himself in his other forms, Roborider and Biorider, who also arrived due to the time warp.
- The second was in the two episode arc (RX! Dai-Shocker Attack/Black × Black RX) of Kamen Rider Decade, in which the World of Black and the World of Black RX were treated as separate universes.
- The third was in Kamen Rider Decade: All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker. All returning Riders in this movie were stated to be the originals by the producers and assorted official material, like official site bios, but two Kohtaro Minamis still coexisted, both portrayed by Tetsuo Kurata, similarly to the Decade TV show appearance, meaning one or both of them could have been the Kohtaro Minamis from either the World of Black or World of Black RX.
- The fourth was in OOO, Den-O, All Riders: Let's Go Kamen Riders, where there wasn't a proper explanation for their combined appearance. However it can be assumed that they are both Kohtaro from different points in time similar to the aforementioned Run All Over the World.
- The fifth was Super Hero Taisen, which yet again features both side by side, but only in the final battle, without any specific explanation for their combined appearance. The movie pamphlet distributed alongside theatrical showings of the movie references how Black's destined battle against Shadow Moon continues even 25 years later. However, since Kamen Rider Decade is involved, it can be assumed that the Kamen Rider Black in the movie is the one from the World of Black, where Kohtaro never lost his powers.
- The sixth instance was in Kamen Rider Taisen when both of them appear to battle Kamen Rider Joker. Once again, no explanation is given. But, considering Decade's involvement in the film it is likely that one or both of them are A.R. World Riders.
- The seventh is in the 8ing's Kamen Rider video game series since Climax Heroes series, while pairing both Black and Black RX in the team slots, presumably that both Blacks are from different timelines.
- A special case occurs in Super Hero Taisen GP: Kamen Rider 3, where both Black and Black RX appear, but at separate points in the film, and that they are both the original Kohtaro Minami.
- According to producer Shinichiro Shirakura, due to many fans prefering Black over Black RX, Toei has decided to treat them as seperate people, starting with Kamen Rider Decade.
- Kohtaro is renamed as Robert Akizuki in the Filipino dub and as Isamu Minami in Brazil. Kamen Rider Black was named "Black Kamen Rider" in the Brazilian-Portuguese dub, with the name "Blackman" used for merchandising purposes.
- The Filipino dub's transformation call was "Rider Change" and "Mantra Aji" in the Indonesian dub.
- Kohtaro is the only Rider to be the leading protagonist of two shows in the Kamen Rider Series. Because of this, he also has the following distinctions:
- Kohtaro currently holds the record of the Rider with the most appearances.
- As Black RX's Biorider form, Kohtaro is the first Kamen Rider who can turn into liquid via an alternate form, this power would be repeated by future Kamen Riders OOO and Wizard who can become liquid via Shauta Combo and Water Style respectively.
- Kohtaro's Roborider form is hampered by stilted, robotic movements. In rare instances, however, Roborider can move unhindered, due to having superhuman reflexes.
- As shown in episode 41 of Kamen Rider Black and the movie Kamen Rider: Run All Over the World, Kohtaro Minami/Kamen Rider Black (RX) is somehow immune to temporal changes, similar to a Singularity Point.
- Yet, this is often not the case in later movies and specials, with Black (RX) being erased out of existence whenever a villain messes with the timeline.
- The only possible exception to this so far is Super Hero Taisen GP: Kamen Rider 3, with Kohtaro as Kamen Rider Black not only still being one of the few good Riders left, but somehow being revived as Kamen Rider Black RX upon his initial defeat.
- Yet, this is often not the case in later movies and specials, with Black (RX) being erased out of existence whenever a villain messes with the timeline.
- Both Black and RX are homaged by Leona Heidern, a character from SNK's King of Fighters series of video games. Her Rebel Spark desperation move is almost an exact copy of the Revolcrash, including the leaping stab, a shower of sparks, and elaborate pose before the opponent explodes. However, Leona performs the move with her bare hands, and the explosion is caused by her planting an explosive on her opponent. Additionally, Leona's jumping Strike Attack (Hard Punch + Hard Kick together) is identical to Black's Rider Kick, even featuring a red energy aura around her feet.
- Kohtaro is the only Rider to get a new name upon Form Changing (going from Kamen Rider Black RX to just Roborider/Biorider). Unlike most Riders that would proceed him, Kohtaro does not need to perform a transformation pose or rely on a gadget to change forms, allowing him to change between Rider forms at a moment's notice.
- Black RX accessing his weapon through his belt would later be replicated with Kamen Riders Agito and Ghost.
- Kohtaro's and Nobuhiko's birth date is most likely September 22, 1968 - as they turn 19 in the first episode of BLACK, which takes place in 1987, it's sure that they were born in 1968. In that year there was only one Solar eclipse, which was a total eclipse and took place on September 22.
- ↑ https://www.toei.co.jp/en/special/list_rider.html
- ↑ "Toei's Kamen Rider Decade episode guide - Episode 27" (in Japanese). http://www.toei.co.jp/tv/decade/story/1189308_1564.html.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Hobby Japan. (2005). S.I.C. Official Diorama Story: S.I.C. Hero Saga. Vol. 1. p. 59-61. ISBN 978-4894253896.
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 Takeshobo. (2001). Masked Rider Chronicles: A History of Cyborg Soldier's Battle. p. 170, 186-189. ISBN 978-4812407837.
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 5.11 5.12 Kamen Rider Official Data/Perfect File.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Kamen Rider Exhibition (Macau). (2018). Kamen Rider Exhibition Stamp Book.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Kamen Rider Battle: Ganbarizing card: G2-056.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Kamen Rider Battle: Ganbarizing card: G3-051.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 Futabasha. (2013). General Facts of Kamen Rider: Turbulent Fierce Battle Chapter. p. 82. ISBN 978-4575306040.
- ↑ Kamen Rider Battle: Ganbarizing card: K1-052.
- ↑ Yep. In fact, Korarou in Black and him in RX are different persons. - Shinichiro Shirakura's tweet.
- ↑ 1/10 of standard
- ↑ 3 t according to one source
- ↑ 9 t according to one source
- ↑ 3 times Black (150 t) according to one source
- ↑ 315 km/h
- ↑ 1.2 times RX
- ↑ 1.2 times RX
- ↑ 120 t according to one source
- ↑ 40 maccording to one source
- Kohtaro Minami (future) - alternative future version in Kamen Rider Black (manga).
- Dex Stewart - counterpart in Masked Rider. See comparison page.
- Albee Stewart - counterpart in Masked Rider. See comparison page.
- Kohtaro Minami (A.R. World) - alternative counterpart in Kamen Rider Decade.
- Kohtaro Minami (A.R. World 2) - alternative counterpart in Kamen Rider Decade.