|This article is about a/an rider in Kamen Rider Kiva.|
- "This is my proclamation as king, rejoice."
- ―King issuing his death warrant[src]
The Checkmate Four's original King (キング Kingu) was referred to as the first Dark Kiva (闇のキバ Yami no Kiba), the lord of all Fangires and the original Kiva who was a threat to humanity in his time. He was also known as the Bat Fangire (バットファンガイア Batto Fangaia), with his true name being The Dawn Sleeps, A Magnificent Story's Ending (暁が眠る、素晴らしき物語の果て Akatsuki ga Nemuru, Subarashiki Monogatari no Hate).
- 1 History
- 2 Post Series and other events
- 3 Appearances in other media
- 3.1 OOO, Den-O, All Riders: Let's Go Kamen Riders: ~Let's Look! Only Your 48 Riders~
- 4 Video game appearances
- 4.1 Kamen Rider Ganbaride
- 4.2 Kamen Rider: Battride War series
- 4.3 Kamen Rider Riderbout
- 4.4 Kamen Rider Break Joker
- 4.5 Kamen Rider Batton-Line
- 4.6 Kamen Rider Battle Rush
- 4.7 Kamen Rider Transcend Heroes
- 4.8 Kamen Rider Buttobasoul
- 5 Other Game appearances
- 6 Family
- 7 Personality
- 8 Abilities
- 9 Forms
- 10 Equipment
- 11 Legend Rider Devices
- 12 Behind the scenes
- 13 Notes
- 14 Appearances
- 15 See Also
- 16 References
- 17 External Link
Kamen Rider Kiva
The Bat Fangire is the previous King of the Checkmate Four, who is also known as the first Dark Kiva, the lord of all Fangires, and the original Kiva who was a threat to humanity in his time. Despite being married to the previous Queen of the Checkmate Four, Maya, he has no actual love for her as her purpose to him was the birth of his son, Taiga Nobori.
When the King returns from afar to check up on his mate and son, he is angered to learn from Bishop that Maya has been meeting with Otoya, a human who has been using the Ixa System to slaughter their race, sparing her as the action of killing her would prove that he loved her and letting her be the one to kill the human. He later goes after Jiro to finish what the Rook started: the extermination of the Wolfen Race, along with putting an end to the last of Merman and Franken races as well. However, he eventually offers the three a chance to avoid extermination, provided they kill Otoya for him.
The three are unable to do it, choosing to flee town instead. Riki and Ramon were unable to escape the King, who seals them into the Dogga Hammer and the Basshaa Magnum respectively so they can serve as decorations within Castle Doran. He is heartbroken and enraged when Maya reciprocates Otoya's love for her, preparing to kill them when Jiro intervenes and finds himself sealed into the Garulu Saber. After capturing Otoya, the King forcibly takes him to Castle Doran, using his life energy to feed the monstrous beast. As a final request, the King allows Otoya to play his violin one last time before he died, but Maya interferes and fights her consort while Yuri escapes with Otoya.
Maya is ultimately stripped of her title and Fangire powers as a result, with the King later forcing her to never see Otoya again by using Taiga's well-being to enforce it. When Kivat-Bat the 2nd witnesses Wataru Kurenai, Otoya's son from 22 years into the future, transform into Kiva, both this and his partner's cruel methods ultimately lead to the King losing Kivat the 2nd to Otoya, resulting in the final confrontation between the two. After the battle, the King is ultimately killed indirectly by the hand of his own son when he tried to kill him and Maya. 22 years later, the Bat Fangire is resurrected by Bishop to kill both Taiga and Wataru, but the brothers succeed in killing the Bat Fangire once more.
Post Series and other events
Kamen Rider Decade: All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker
A resurrected Bat Fangire, in the same berserker state seen when he was resurrected previously, is seen among Dai-Shocker's common troops. He is among the monsters faced by Diend and Decade when they decide to take on Dai-Shocker by themselves, and attempts to attack Diend, only to be thrown away by the Rider. When the All Riders force arrives, the berserker Bat Fangire attempts to face Decade, only to be slashed and retreat. He's seen for the last time among a force of Shocker Combatmen, Fangires and Orphnochs facing Kamen Rider Faiz and Kamen Rider Kiva. He's presumably defeated by them, as both Kiva and Faiz are later seen joining up with other Riders, like Decade to defeat Ikadevil.
Kamen Rider × Super Sentai: Super Hero Taisen
The Bat Fangire, resurrected again and back to his original Fangire form while armed with a sword, is one of the Great Commanders of the revived Dai-Shocker. Following the orders of Doktor G, Dai-Shocker's second in command, he engages GokaiYellow in combat, and they're evenly matched. When Dai-Shocker and Dai-Zangyack reveal their alliance and fight against the combined Super Sentai and Kamen Rider force, the Bat Fangire, alongside Yogoshimacritein Crime Minister of the Gaiark, is seen leading a group of Fangires, Gaiark and also the Medusa Legendorga and the Samurai World Yoma Rairaiken to fight against the Go-Ongers and Kamen Rider Kiva. However, they're all destroyed again at once by a combined finisher attack from the Go-Ongers and Kiva. Before his defeat, he was seen in the background of both aerial fight scenes, first fighting Clover King, then DekaRed.
D-Video Special: Kamen Rider 4
Duel! The True Identity of Shocker's Great Leader
Due to the re-alterations of time made by Shocker, Dark Kiva later appeared, along with Kamen Riders 4, Ouja, Sasword, and Baron to fight against the Kamen Riders as they catch onto Shocker's latest schemes. During the final loop, Dark Kiva is destroyed alongside Ouja by Deadheat Mach's Hit Macher Full Throttle.
Kamen Rider Brain
Appearances in other media
OOO, Den-O, All Riders: Let's Go Kamen Riders: ~Let's Look! Only Your 48 Riders~
Type20. - Quietly Listen! Rare Rider Road
Kamen Rider Dark Kiva appears with TheBee, Kuuga Dragon Form and OOO Gatatoraba combo, according to Sieg Dark Kiva is considered a least compatible match.
Type21. - Get it! Can You Ready the Muffler Too!?
Kamen Rider Dark Kiva appears with Drake, Raia, and Double, according to Kivat-Bat the 3rd
Dark Kiva is considered a best friend.
Type28. - Quietly Listen! Unlabeled Kamen Rider!
Kamen Rider Dark Kiva appears with Zolda, Armed Hibiki OOO TakaUta combo according to Sieg
Dark Kiva is considered a most repugnant match.
Type34. - Peppers! Will You Call Heaven or Earth?!
Kamen Rider Dark Kiva appears with Ryuki, Den-O Climax Form, and Birth, according to Momotaros Dark Kiva is considered the least compatible match.
Video game appearances
Kamen Rider Ganbaride
King as Bat Fangire and Kamen Rider Dark is a playable character in Kamen Rider Ganbaride.
Kamen Rider: Battride War series
Kamen Rider: Battride War
Bat Fangire Reborn appears as a boss character in the video game Kamen Rider Battride Wars. He acts as the boss for Kiva's mission "Wake Up: Kiva's Memories", which loosely recreates the final episode of Kamen Rider Kiva.
Kamen Rider Battride War Genesis
Bat Fangire Reborn reappears as a boss character in the video game Kamen Rider: Battride War Genesis
Kamen Rider Riderbout
King as Kamen Rider Dark Kiva, Bat Fangire, and Bat Fangire Reborn appears as a playable character with the other Heisei and Showa Kamen Riders in Kamen Rider Riderbout.
Kamen Rider Break Joker
Kamen Rider Dark Kiva appears as a playable character with other Riders and monsters in Kamen Rider Break Joker.
Kamen Rider Batton-Line
Kamen Rider Dark Kiva appears as a playable character in Kamen Rider Batton-Line among other Riders in the game.
Kamen Rider Battle Rush
Kamen Rider Dark Kiva appears as a playable and support character in the video game Kamen Rider Battle Rush using Rider Punch.
Kamen Rider Transcend Heroes
Kamen Rider Dark Kiva appears as a playable character with others Kamen Riders in the video game, performer his King's Burst End against his enemies Kamen Rider Transcend Heroes.
Kamen Rider Buttobasoul
King appears as a Bat-Fangire and Kamen Rider Dark Kiva is a playable character and boss in Kamen Rider Buttobasoul .
Other Game appearances
King as Kamen Rider Dark Kiva appears with other Kamen Riders and Monsters in Battle Spirits.
- Taiga Nobori - son, Kamen Rider Saga and third Kamen Rider Dark Kiva
- Maya - ex-wife, Pearlshell Fangire
As the King of Fangires, the Bat Fangire was commanding and proud of his status which he passed onto his son, Taiga. He was very proud of his Fangire status and showed offense when a normal human such as Otoya both used the powers of Dark Kiva for himself as well as being chosen by Maya herself. Along with being a cold-hearted person, the Bat Fangire tried to both emotionally and physically hurt his opponents before killing them revealing a twisted side. He even went as far as to threaten Maya with their own son's life. In fact, it was partially because of this that his former partner, Kivat-Bat the 2nd chose to betray him. He didn't seem to be completely merciless though, as he allowed Otoya to play his violin before trying to kill him with Castle Doran along with offering the Arms Monsters a chance to escape his wrath in exchange for killing Otoya, although he may have actually been lying to them. He was very arrogant and cocky, which led to his eventual downfall. He also seemed to be somewhat abusive, as he shown through his treatment of Maya as well as stating that he owns her. Although he treated Maya badly, he did seem to actually hold some feelings towards her as he seemed heartbroken when Maya chose Otoya over him. He even tried to kill her to bring with him after his defeat despite his earlier statements about her showing hypocrisy.
As the Fangire King, the Bat Fangire is strong enough to overpower both Kiva Emperor Form and Dark Kiva at the same time. As well as easily defeating the Arms Monsters along with dealing staggering damage to Jiro's Wolfen form without even transforming, the Bat Fangire can even overpower Maya as well as take away her powers. He is durable enough to withstand Kiva Emperor Form's Rider Kick, Dark Kiva's Rider Punch, Dark Kiva's telekinesis powers, both Rider's double punch and even their Double Rider Kick (although the last one seemed fatal even for him). In fact, even after dealing with major damage from Wataru and Otoya, the Bat Fangire could still shoot a powerful beam that would have killed Maya and Taiga if not for Taiga awakening his powers. It seems Wataru becomes more of a match for the Bat Fangire later on, as he was seemingly defeated by Wataru and Takumi even when he teamed up with a force of Shocker Combatmen, Fangires and Orphnochs to combat the both of them.
- ―Dark Kivat's transformation announcement[src]
- Rider Height: 205 cm
- Rider Weight: 112 kg
- Ability perimeters
Dark Kiva only appears to have one form, similar to that of Kiva Emperor Form in black and red. However, Dark Kiva does not require the use of a being such as Tatsulot to achieve this form and has no chains on his body as Kiva needs to control his power. As Dark Kiva, the King has access to an unlimited potential of power that is hindered within his successors such as telekinesis and the use of the Kiva insignia as a weapon.
As Maya would later explain, the Kiva power cannot be used by a normal human, as usage would ultimately result in death. This would prove to be true, as Otoya had used the Dark Kiva power a total of three times before finally dying due to the strain it put on his body. Shima also mentioned this when Wataru revealed his heritage to him.
In search of a power stronger than the Saga armor, the Fangire created a new armor meant for the second king. The armor is also known in dialogue as the "Kiva of Darkness" (闇のキバ Yami no Kiba), and can reach its limits by accessing the wearer's natural abilities, but it has the drawback of making the wearer lose control. The first King, now equipped with the Dark Kiva armor used the Wake Up III finisher "King's World End" during the fight against the Legendorgas. Due to the huge loss of Fangire life after the finisher was used, Knight and Pawn sealed off the use of the finishing attack.
Kamen Rider Dark Kiva has the following parts:
- King's Persona (キングス・ペルソナ Kingusu Perusona) - Dark Kiva's helmet. The bat-like wings on the head are called "Zenon Stabilizers", and spreads the stress on the user's brain by maximizing the demonic power of the user and armor.
- Darkness Breast (ダークネスブレスト Dākunesu Buresuto) - A depressant called Darkness Tar is applied to the armor to control the demonic power which is amplified by the 3 Demon Emperor Stones to prevent self-destruction. The silver stripe in the center is called the Satan's Vessel (サタンベッセル Satan Besseru). It is an energy conduit that is connected to Kivat-Bat II to control the demonic power.
- Demon Emperor Stone (魔皇石 Ma Ō Ishi) - Like Kiva Emperor Form, the stones control the air, water, and Earth, and amplifies the strength of the user by ten. The purity is higher than Emperor Form's 3 stones and has stronger amplification powers.
- Darkness Veil (ダークネスベール Dākunesu Bēru) - The cape. It can neutralize all physical attacks in the world. By swinging the cape, Dark Kiva can generate a blade of darkness to penetrate enemy defenses.
- Satan Mail (サタンメイル Satan Meiru) - The undersuit made of GaoraDoran leather. The material is rare, and it is made using the finest quality 1200-year-old Doran leather and boasts 3 times the defense of Kiva's armor.
- Bloody Shoulder (ブラッディショルダー Buraddi Shorudā) - The shoulder armor made of polished Bloody Stone, has a blade that is sharp enough to cut like a razor with just a touch. It functions as armor and a powerful weapon in close combat.
- Bloody Armor (ブラッディアーマー Buraddi Āmā) - The bright crimson armor made of Bloody Stone. It is said it is not possible to refine it further, it stores demonic power and combines the power with the user.
- Stabilize Shadow (スタビライズシャドー Sutabiraizu Shadō) - The black lines on the Bloody Armor. They are restraint bands made of Darkness Tar with the purpose of cooling down the demonic power to protect the user from being overpowered and self-destructing as a result.
In his Fangire form, King was capable of flight and could fire a bladed boomerang from each wrist, emit energy waves from his body, fire energy balls from his hands, and fire an energy beam from his mouth.
With the help of Bishop, King is revived as Bat Fangire Reborn (復活バットファンガイア Fukkatsu Batto Fangaia), but becomes a mindless beast as a result.
- Kivat-Bat the 2nd - King's Kivat partner and servant.
- Dark Kivat Belt - Transformation device that forms when Kivat bites King.
- Fuestles - Whistle-like devices that activate a function, depending on the Fuestle.
- Zanvat Sword - Dark Kiva's personal weapon.
- umnamed sword - Bat Fangire's personal weapon.
Legend Rider Devices
This Rider Ring which bears the likeness of Kamen Rider Dark Kiva is exclusive to Kamen Rider Wizard's Wizard Ring toyline. When used by a Wizardriver wearer, it would be able to summon Kamen Rider Dark Kiva.
- "(Digital beeping) Dark Kiva!"
- ―Activation announcement[src]
- "To be announced"
- ―Secondary activation announcement[src]
- "Rider Time! Wake Up! Dark Kiva!"
- ―Transformation announcement in the Ziku-Driver's right-hand slot[src]
- "(Right-hand Ridewatch's announcement)! Armor Time! Wake Up! Dark Kiva!"
- ―Transformation announcement in the Ziku-Driver's left-hand slot[src]
- "To be announced"
- ―Finisher announcement in left-hand slot[src]
Dark Kiva Ridewatch (ダークキバライドウォッチ Dāku Kiba Raidowotchi): Based on Kamen Rider Dark Kiva, this Ridewatch would provide access to the DarkKivaArmor. It is dated 2008. This Ridewatch was one of the five winners of a poll held by Bandai to select Riders to be used in a five-pack of DX Ridewatches.
Behind the scenes
King is portrayed by Shinya Niiro (新納 慎也 Niiro Shin'ya).
Having several users, Kamen Rider Dark Kiva had two suit actors. The main suit actor for Dark Kiva (King) was Seiji Takaiwa (高岩 成二 Takaiwa Seiji), who was also suit actor for Kamen Rider Kiva and Garulu. When used by Otoya Kurenai and Taiga Nobori, Dark Kiva's suit actor is Eitoku (永徳 Eitoku), who was also suit actor for Kamen Rider Saga and Dogga.
- In Kamen Rider Kiva: Final Stage, there is a Bat Fangire that becomes the Neo King and transformed into Dark Kiva. It is unknown whether Neo King is the revived original King or a different individual.
- Dark Kiva's later reappearances in crossovers as a villainous Kamen Rider are considered to be King himself, as the current user of Dark Kiva is currently a heroic Rider and still alive.
- King shares some similarities with Sou Fueki.
- Both are the main antagonist in their respective series.
- Both their Rider forms are a more powerful version of the main Rider, in their respective series.
- Both had their Rider powers inherited by their children.
- Both had the role as a final monsters and Kamen Riders.
- King is the second Kiva Rider that is a father and Kamen Rider the same time.
- the first was Otoya Kurenai, the third is Sokichi Narumi (Kamen Rider Skull), the fourth is Tenjuro Banno (Gold Drive), the fifth is Daigo Fukami (Kamen Rider Zero Specter), the sixth is Masamune Dan (Kamen Rider Cronus), the seventh is Jin Takayama (Kamen Rider Amazon Alpha), the eighth is Shinobu Katsuragi (Kamen Rider Build Prototype) and the last is Horobi (Kamen Rider Horobi).
- King (Kiva) as Bat-Fangire, is the fourth Final Boss of a series to also be a Kamen Rider. Kamen Rider Odin, Kamen Rider Chalice (as the Joker Undead),Kamen Rider TheBee (as the Gryllus Worm), Lord Baron, Kamen Rider Amazon Alpha, Kamen Rider Amazon Neo, Kamen Rider Cronus and Kamen Rider Evol would later join Odin as the Final Boss of a mini series (season in Amazon Alpha's case and excluding epilogue Final Boss) to also be a Kamen Rider at some point.
- In the Kamen Rider Kiva (novel) there was another Bat Fangire Wataru Kurenai, due to never meeting Kivat-Bat the 3rd.
- Otoya Kurenai - Second user of the Kamen Rider Dark Kiva powers in Kamen Rider Kiva
- Taiga Nobori - Third user of the Kamen Rider Dark Kiva powers in Kamen Rider Kiva
- Otoya Kurenai (A.R. World) - Nega Rider, user of the Kamen Rider Dark Kiva powers in Kamen Rider Decade
- "TV Asahi's page for Dark Kiva". https://web.archive.org/web/20121024000555/http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/kiva/rider/darkkiva_00.html?keepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=420&width=400.
- "TV Asahi's page for Bat Fangire". https://web.archive.org/web/20150413091747/http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/kiva/fangire/31/fan_mov.swf.
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- King (Kiva) in Kamen Rider Official Website.
- Kamen Rider Dark Kiva in Kamen Rider Official Website.
- Bat Fangire in Kamen Rider Official Website.
- Bat Fangire Reborn in Kamen Rider Official Website.