|This article is about a/an ally and a manga-exclusive rider in Kamen Rider, the original series.|
- "When in trouble, Kamen Rider will appear..."
- ―Kazuya's words to Spike and the other children[src]
Kazuya Taki (滝 和也 Taki Kazuya) is a fictional FBI agent appearing in Kamen Rider and also in Kamen Rider Spirits, where he becomes a central character assuming the identity of Taki Rider (滝ライダー Taki Raidā), an homage to the series Skull Man, one of Shotaro Ishinomori's earlier characters, who was adapted for the creation of Kamen Rider 1.
Introduced in episode 11, Kazuya was assigned to investigate Shocker's activities in Japan. After seeing the original Kamen Rider in action he assisted his temporary successor, Kamen Rider 2, and later both riders in their fight against Shocker and Gel Shocker, becoming a trusted ally. After Gel Shocker's destruction, he left Japan and said his goodbyes to everyone from the Tachibana Racing Club, Takeshi Hongo, and Hayato Ichimonji at the Airport.
In Kamen Rider Spirits, Kazuya is first seen in America explaining Kamen Riders to some of the residents but few people (except children) believe him. One of his young friends, Spike, even called him a Kamen Rider because of his martial arts skills and his use of a motorcycle. Later when Spike is mutated into a Vampire by the evil Father Petrescu, Kazuya decides to save him going against orders from his superiors, as there were no Kamen Riders present he takes on the Kamen Rider-like persona, Taki Rider. At first he was able to hold his own for a while until Petrescu attacked, removed his mask, and attempted to kill him but was stopped by the untimely arrival of Takeshi Hongo, Kamen Rider 1. Kazuya then teamed up with Rider 1 and with additional help from Spike, defeated the vampires. Takeshi gave Spike an antidote and left. After Takeshi left, Kazuya is seen throughout most of the manga helping the other Riders and other people against the Badan Empire with new equipment that is good enough to fight against the Badan Kaijin.
Kamen Rider 3
To revitalize the original TV show, it was decided that a new Rider would be introduced, Kamen Rider 3. One of the ideas for the new Rider was Kazuya being captured by Shocker and being converted into a cyborg to fight against Kamen Rider 1. However, just like his predecessors, he'd escape brainwashing and join the other Riders in their battle. An alternate idea also suggested at the time was Rider 1 and 2 creating a new robotic Kamen Rider 3 to join them in their battle.  However, eventually, it was decided that they'd go with a new hero becoming the third Rider and that, rather than continuing the original series, he'd star in his own show. That led to the creation of Kamen Rider V3.
The idea of turning Kazuya into a Rider seemed to get close enough to execution that Kamen Rider: Rider 3 vs. The Demon of General Black a 5-page manga, was published at the time, hyping the new Rider. In this story, although Rider 3's civilian name isn't given, the character is a human modified by Ghost Shocker (Gel Shocker's original name) into a Kamen Rider to defeat Riders 1 and 2, following the concept intended to be used with Kazuya in the TV show. His appearance as a Rider resembles Kamen Rider 1's, but with added red lines and a black-colored mask.
Rider 3 escapes from Shocker and General Black sends Ganikomol to eliminate him. He defeats Ganikomol using a technique known as the Rider Cyclone Kick, where he leaps up from his New Cyclone and does a spinning kick, while still grabbing onto the handles of the New Cyclone. Afterwards, Rider 3 promises to fight alongside Rider 1 and 2 to defeat Shocker.
Normally a friendly guy that was originally a rival of Takeshi at bike racing. Kazuya was actually a FBI agent that was sent to investigate Shocker and their evil purposes. Learning of Takeshi's newfound powers, he decided to assist him as well as Ichimonji later on, all while befriending the both of them along with Tachibana and the Kamen Rider club. As a FBI agent, Kazuya is trained to be cool and calm in serious situations while at times maintaining a sense of humor. He is very reliable, and is trusted by Takeshi, Hayato and Tachibana themselves.
Abilities and appearances
While not a cyborg, Kazuya has displayed advanced martial art skills not only enough to defeat the Shocker footsoldiers, (other footsoldiers in Kamen Rider Spirits with ease) but also hold his own against lower level Altered Humans with the help of advanced weaponry, which is usually impossible for a human to pull off. He also has access to equipment that enhances physical attacks and has displayed expertise in motorcycle riding. In fact, his skill rivaled Hongo's bike riding techniques when he wasn't a Kamen Rider.
In Kamen Rider Spirits manga, when an orphan named Spike was turned into vampire, he was forced to play the act of Kamen Rider 1, donning the mantle of Taki Rider (滝ライダー Taki Raidā). While at first seemingly easy, he was outnumbered by Father Petrescu's vampire victims until the real Kamen Rider 1 helped him, thus foiling the villain's evil scheme.
- Signature Moves
- Rider Kick (ライダーキック Raidā Kikku)
- The signature move of every Kamen Rider, Taki Rider's version was made via modifying his Combat Boots, which have stun guns inside the soles of the boots to deliver an electrified kick to the target.
- Rider Punch (ライダーパンチ Raidā Panchi)
- Taki's version of the Rider Punch, which was empowered by shotgun shells attached to a pair of custom brass knuckles.
- Rider Double Punch (ライダーダブルパンチ Raidā Daburu Panchi)
- Combined technique with Kamen Rider 2.
In Kamen Rider: Rider 3 vs. The Demon of General Black, one of Shotaro Ishinomori's Kamen Rider mangas, Kazuya assumes a form known as Kamen Rider 3 (仮面ライダー3号 Kamen Raidā Sangō), donning a suit which resembles Kamen Rider 1's but with added red lines and a black-colored mask.
So far, among his finisher attacks is Rider Cyclone Kick (ライダーサイクロンキック Raidā Saikuron Kikku), where he leaps up from his New Cyclone and does a spinning kick, while still grabbing onto the handles of the New Cyclone.
As Taki Rider
- SPIRIT Gun Sword (SPIRITガンソード Supirito Gan Sodo) - Shotgun created by Riderman, based on Franchi SPAS-12, therefore possible if both were to create a Double Rider Shooting
- Ballistic Fists - A pair of brass knuckles loaded with explosive shotgun shells to perform a Rider Punch
- Combat Boots - Enhanced army boots that can emulate a Rider Kick, using stun guns to empower the blow with electricity.
- Honda Valkyrie - Personal motorcycle
- Skyturbo - Borrowed from Skyrider in Vol 10 of Shin Spirits.
As Kamen Rider 3
- Even though Kazuya played a major role in Kamen Rider, he didn't appear in any of the sequels.
- His role, like Ichimonji was made to fill in Hongo's actor, Fujioka, whom at that time was injured after a motorcycle stunt went wrong and had to leave the show to recover.
- According to producer Hirayama, Kazuya has met Takeshi, Hayato, Shiro, and Tachibana before the events of Kamen Rider.
- The producer Toru Hirayama had also considered making Kazuya become Kamen Rider 4 in the TV series instead of Joji Yuki, but this idea fell through.
- Another Kamen Rider 3 appears in Super Hero Taisen GP: Kamen Rider 3, whose existence was caused by a timeline alteration in 1973.
- A live-action suit of Taki Rider was made in 2001 in a Kamen Rider Spirits promotion, however, it is currently missing due to unknown reasons.
- ↑ 仮面ライダー1971-1984 2014, pp. 122-127, Chapter 1 Series 1 "Kamen Rider 1 and 2"