|This article is about an ally in Kamen Rider Zi-O.|
Junichiro Tokiwa is clock keeper and the grand-uncle to Sougo Tokiwa and a relative of Sotaro Tokiwa. He owned the 9 5 DO store where he made a living of repairing clocks, but often fix other broken mechanical objects. After Sougo's parents were killed in a bus accident, Junichiro took the young Sougo in as his only remaining relative. While raising Sougo, he noticed he had little friends growing up due to his aspirations of becoming king. As Sougo grew up as a well behaved child, Junichiro never scolded his nephew as he was never any trouble to him.
In September 2018, Junichiro ponders on Sougo's future after graduation, with his nephew responding his intent to become king. Junichiro to throw out college brochures that he intended to hand his nephew. He eventually began renting a vacant room on the second floor for the use of Tsukuyomi and Geiz Myokoin. Junichiro was initally kept in the dark with Sougo's activities as Kamen Rider Zi-O, as well as Geiz, Tsukuyomi, and Woz being from the future. He would also impart wisdom and advise to Sougo and his friends which often be beneficial in their fight against the Another Riders.
He was happy to see his nephew finding close friends who accepted his dreams of becoming king. Despite wanting his nephew to have a stable future, Junichiro still encouraged Sougo becoming king as he never would want to take away his dreams. After Sougo found himself being distanced with Geiz and Tsukuyomi, Junichiro reprimanded Sougo for hiding his feelings of loneliness and warned him that he isn't true with his feelings, he'll end up becoming a ruler with no empathy to his subjects, making Sougo feel happy about his uncle's honesty. At night, Sougo returned with Geiz and Tsukuyomi and Junichiro allowed Woz to move in to 9 5 DO.
During Sougo's quest to gather the Ridewatches, Junichiro would often meet the Legend Riders whenever they stop by at 9 5 DO. When Shoichi Tsugami, a culinary chef who was at France, arrived in Japan during the presence of Another Agito, he ate Junichiro's cooking and approved it. When a massive meteor was soon to approach the country, he making eighty rice balls just to prepare themselves for the incoming apocalypse which ended up being prevented by Sougo. His presence as a skilled mechanic led the Taros to recruit him to repair the DenLiner, a time-traveling train.
During Swartz's uprising against his nephew, Junichiro finally began to accept everything in Sougo's life had not been normal. After noticing the Ridewatches starting to crack, he went out to find the supplies to repair them. While the city is being attacked by monsters, Junichiro was saved by Kamen Rider Zi-O and recognizes him as Sougo. Junichiro acknowledged that Sougo had became what it took to become a king, truly believing in his nephew's dreams. As the final battle approched, Junichiro served their final meal together and gave him the repaired Ridewatches, taking pride in his clockmaking skills.
Eventually, Sougo managed to save the world and achieved his goal of becoming the greatest and kindest Demon King, choosing to use his abilities to create a new timeline, returning Junichiro in his life as they were living as of September 2018.
Much like his great-nephew, Junichiro is shown to have an optimistic outlook on life and is often seen with a welcoming smile. He is also shown to be very hospitable, gladly allowing Geiz, Tsukuyomi, and later Black Woz to stay as tenants at the 9 5 DO. This hospitality is also seen when he repairs any electronics his clients bring to him, albeit somewhat reluctantly. He also appears to be quite knowledgeable, often giving words of wisdom. and cooking foods for them.
Junichiro also deeply cares for his great-nephew and wants him to be happy. However since Sougo's parents passed away, Junichiro has been feeling insecure about scolding Sougo, as he was all alone and didn't want to negatively impact their relationship. However, when he finally does so, he ends up reeling in fear over what he just did. Junichiro is also very empathetic and sees that since Tsukuyomi and Geiz left, Sougo was left all alone again. Junichiro encouraged Sougo to be more upfront and honest with his feelings, as a king needs to have empathy for others. He is also very supportive of any activity that Sougo decides to take up towards his kingship, and proudly wished him great luck and safety upon discovering his nephew's identity as a superhero.
His immense care for Sougo is also taken to a more humorous standpoint, especially with food. When preparing rice balls for evacuating the massive meteor soon to hit Tokyo, he decided to prepare an entire rice sack's worth of rice balls (ended up preparing eighty, as opposed to the original seven) when he found out Sougo was returning from space, believing he didn't make enough and that Sougo must be starving.
- Horology: Junichiro is skilled enough at fixing timepieces that he is able to open a shop and make a profit out of it.
- Cooking: Junichiro has been shown to cook at a level that would even impress a professional like Shoichi Tsugami. He is known to cook a large variety of foods, including traditional Japanese cuisine, foreign fine dining, and other pastries.
- Super Mechanic Ability: While Junichiro can repair a lot of mechanical objects, Junichiro can somehow perform some sort of repairs on objects related to Rider Systems, like the Zi-O Ridewatch II (Real World), DenLiner, and even disabled Heisei Ridewatches. According to the Taros and Junichiro himself, he can only interfere with any Rider System if it functions like a watch. 「Mirror World 2019」「2007: DenLiner Crash!」「2019: Apocalypse」
Behind the Scenes
Junichiro Tokiwa is portrayed by Katsuhisa Namase (生瀬 勝久, Namase Katsuhisa).
- Junichiro is similar to Eijiro Hikari from Kamen Rider Decade as both are business owners who receive requests from other customers that do not have any relationship with their main business, yet they still do so.
- In Eijiro's case, many people walk into his photo studio, commonly mistaking it as a coffee shop or a hospital, yet he will still serve a meal or patch them up.
- In Junichiro's case, many people walk into his clock shop looking to get non-clock items fixed, yet he will still make an effort to fix them regardless. He also serves a meal to the guests.
- Although Sougo's identity as Zi-O was not explicitly revealed to Junichiro until episode 48, it is heavily implied throughout the series that Junichiro was indeed aware of it all along:
- Despite the shop's slow business, Sougo's "friends" appear to help patronize the shop.
- The team makes little to no effort in hiding the existence of the Ridewatches from Junichiro's sight. He is asked to repair the Zi-O II Ridewatch in Episode 21, and pays no surprise the the sight of the Ridewatches in both Episode 34 and 47.
- Junichiro does not hesitate to leave the room when the Riders are openly discussing their "Rider" activities.
- Woz carries the Ohma Advent Calendar with him all the time and calls Sougo his "Demon King" in front of Junichiro, though he would get confused with the word "Demon".
- When Junichiro was saved by Kamen Rider Zi-O in Episode 48, Sougo's name was the first he shouted out before the latter had formally revealed his identity.