|This article is about a/an ability in Kamen Rider Kabuto.|
Clock Up essentially allows the Kamen Riders to match the speeds of the Worms, who are also moving at super speed. According to the narrator of Kamen Rider Kabuto and the characters in the show, Clock Up was supposedly light speed. However this was disproven when Kabuto aided Arata Kagami where a bullet from a handgun was still traveling at a relatively fast speed, making Clock Up's supposed light speeds either be exaggerated, or variable.
- This is more evident when Kamen Rider Kabuto and Kamen Rider Gatack faced against Kamen Rider Caucasus, who donned the Hyper Clock Up and moved way faster than the two of them while they were in Clock Up.
- Another case to Clock Up's actual speed is when Kabuto and Dark Kabuto face off in their final confrontation on top of falling platforms that appear to be falling instead of being nearly frozen in place if it were at light speeds.
- In every crossover where a Rider that possesses super speed that isn't associated with Clock Up and is pitted against the ZECT Riders, they're able to fight evenly with them.
- Known Users
- Kamen Rider Kabuto
- Kamen Rider TheBee
- Kamen Rider Drake
- Kamen Rider Sasword
- Kamen Rider Gatack
- Kamen Rider Dark Kabuto
- Kamen Rider KickHopper
- Kamen Rider PunchHopper
- Kamen Rider Ketaros
- Kamen Rider Hercus (Ability shown in game only)
- Kamen Rider Caucasus (Never used on-screen)
- Kamen Rider Decade (through the usage of the Clock-Up AttackRide card associated with Kabuto)
- Another Kabuto
Hyper Clock Up
The Hyper Zecter allows access to Hyper Clock Up (ハイパークロックアップ Haipā Kurokku Appu), an upgraded version of Clock Up, allowing them to move at speeds that are estimated to be twice as fast as a regular Clock Up. This especially allows the Rider to travel faster than the speed of light, enabling the ability to time travel. It also has a "Maximum Rider Power" mode that increases the output of a Rider's finishing attack.
However, Hyper Clock Up was shown to be unmatched with the Freeze ability of Cassis Worm, nor showing the ability to stop time.
- Known Users
- Kamen Rider Kabuto (God Speed Love timeline)
- Kamen Rider Kabuto (Main timeline)
- Kamen Rider Kabuto (Alternate Reality)
- Kamen Rider Gatack (Hyper Battle Video, possibly non-canon)
- Kamen Rider Caucasus (God Speed Love timeline)
Decade is able to perceive super-speed fights and can utilize Clock Up through its associated Attack Ride Card. While he is required to transform into Kabuto via a Kamen Ride first, this restriction is bypassed while in his Violent Emotion form.
- In the novel re-imagination, Kamen Rider Decade: The World of Tsukasa Kadoya ~The Garden Inside the Lens~, the card somehow ended up in Tendo's possession and gave it to Tsukasa after he realized that he is Decade with the card itself being used by Decade while in Kuuga Mighty Form.
- With the Hyper Clock Up Attack Ride Card, as Kabuto Hyper Form, Decade is able travel at near light speeds, allowing him to travel forward or backward through time. This card is not shown in the TV series, but is used in the S.I.C. Hero Saga side story published in Hobby Japan magazine.
In Decade, ZECT of the World of Kabuto has created a Clock-Down generator to nullify Clock-Up usage in the vicinity.
Within the Kamen Rider (and later Super Sentai) multiverse, there are several characters who possess the ability to move at speeds rivaling Clock Up or have an optimal counterattack.
- Note: This list is a comprehensive compilation of methods that have been tested on-screen. As Decade himself can copy the abilities of other Riders, he can use most, if not all, of the methods listed here. Thus, methods used by him and not by the original Rider will be listed as such.
- Kamen Rider Faiz Axel's super speed is capable of combating the ZECT Riders' Clock Up. Though Faiz Axel has been noted to move at the speed of sound while Clock Up has been noted to move at the speed of light, this means Faiz Axel may be capable of moving at light speed for ten seconds. This continues in later crossovers.
- Kuuga Pegasus form's heightened senses can allow him to track and target foes moving at Clock Up speeds, as shown with Decade's use of the corresponding Form Ride Card.
- Kuuga Ultimate form (and its upgrades) would therefore be an even bigger threat to Clock Up users, due to having both Pegasus form's heightened senses and the limited ability to transmute matter itself.
- In Kamen Rider Decade, there exists a Clock Down (クロックダウン Kurokku Daun) generator, created by Soh Otogiri. Once activated it can disable users from using Clock Up, thus reverting them into normal human speed.
- Red Buster's super-speed is fast enough to match Decade's Clock-Up during his KamenRide as Kabuto.
- Kamen Rider Stronger has been shown to temporarily halt the Clock Up function by using an Electro Fire attack to create a radial blast of electricity, causing Kabuto to forcefully exit Clock Up due to his Rider form's equipment getting zapped by the attack's energy. Contextually, this only worked because Kabuto walked right into the attack.
- In Super Hero Taisen GP: Kamen Rider 3, as Axel Form was shown to be rivaled by both Clock Up and Kamen Rider Mach's super speed, it is safe to presume that Mach's speed can rival the Clock Up as well.
- Woz Futuring Shinobi is able to match the Worms in speed.
- GeizRevive Shippu's superspeed is fast enough to match the Worms, ZECT Riders, and Another Kabuto in their Clock Up.
- Zi-O II can perceive objects moving at super-speed, and was able counter against PunchHopper moving at Clock Up.
- WozGingaWakuseiForm removes the gravity from an unspecified radius around him. This allows him to ignore physics and shoot energy plants down at an opponent who cannot move, which includes Another Kabuto's Clock Up. According to Woz himself, this allowed him to counter Heavy Acceleration as well.
Kamen Riders Blade, OOO, and Cronus have the ability to freeze time, similar to the Cassis Worm Dimidius. This would mean they can not only counter normal Clock Ups, but also Hyper Clock Ups. This is further supported by the Time Jackers' usage of the ability against Another Drive's Heavy Acceleration, which itself is able to negate super speed and those moving at near light speeds.
- The Hyper Muteki Gashat used by the Ex-Aid Riders provides them protection from a temporal halt, theoretically allowing them to move at speeds perhaps even faster than a Hyper Clock-Up. However this would only work if an external factor halts time, as its not an actual ability of Hyper Muteki.
- In Zi-O Episode 44, Tsukuyomi uses her time freezing ability to stop WozGingaWakuseiForm's falling planets in midair, an attack that was previously proven to be strong enough to stop Another Kabuto from using Clock Up.
Behind the scenes
In popular culture
- Episode 327-B the comedy anime Sgt. Frog (ケロロ軍曹 Keroro Gunsō) titled "Keroro, Invasion in a Blink!" features the members of the Keroro Platoon trying to invade Earth in Clock Up mode.
- In Haiyore! Nyaruko-san, Clock Up is officially listed as one of Nyarko's unique powers, though she has yet to demonstrate it. However, it's referenced in the first episode when Mahiro asks how Nyarko had time to make him a box lunch that morning and she replies "A Clocked-Up Nyarlathotepian can move at speeds that defy all logic!" (Both the Crunchyroll and NISA versions mistranslates Clock Up as "overclocked", but this could be the result of a licensing issue.) The ability is referenced again in the Nyaruko-san game for PlayStation Portable.
- While Clock-Down generators have been shown to only stop the conventional Clock Up, it is not known if it's powerful enough to stop a stronger Hyper Clock Up, which is estimated to be twice as fast as a regular Clock Up. Theoretically a Clock Down generator would at least slow the user down, albeit back to the regular Clock Up.
- Due to the Rider Armors granting the abilities of the riders they represent, it is possible that KabutoArmor can grant Kamen Rider Zi-O the Clock Up ability.
- While Clock Up is a power unique to the ZECT Riders (aside from Decade's Attack and Form Ride cards accessing them), super speed is a common ability for many superheroes in general. Some of the earliest examples of speedster superheroes in Japan include 8-Man (1963) created by Jiro Kuwata and of course, Joe Shimamura from Cyborg 009 (1964) created by Shotaro Ishinomori. However because they have not been shown on-screen or in any other type of media to compete their speed against actual Clock Up users, this list is purely conjecture.
- Alternatives equipped with Accele Vent
- B.O.A.R.D. Riders equipped with Mach Jaguar
- Zect Riders Rider Form in Clock Up
- Diend while equipped with the Tesla Band Activation
- Diend's super speed is inferior to Clock Up as he couldn't even keep up with Kabuto's movements when he tried attacking him.
- Accel Booster
- OOO Latoratar Combo
- Super Tatoba Combo
- Wizard Infinity Style's "Clock Up"
- Gaim Jimber Cherry Arms
- Drive Type Speed and Type Formula (Mantarn)
- (Chaser) Mach
- Mach Chaser
- Kamen Riders with the Speeding-Up Energy Item
- Muteki Mode
- Ex-Aid Muteki Gamer
- Build Genius Form
- Evol Cobra and Black Hole Form
- Ohma Zi-O
- Ohma Zi-O, when he invokes the powers of super speed of the other Legend Riders, he may be (if not) much faster than (Hyper) Clock Up.
- Zero-One Shining Hopper
- ZeroZero-One Rising Hopper
- Shining Assault Hopper
- MetalCluster Hopper
- Ichi-Gata Rocking Hopper
- Vulcan Assault Wolf
- Valkyrie Rushing Cheetah
- Hobby Japan, October 2010