|This article is about a/an race of monsters in Kamen Rider Kabuto.|
The Worms (ワーム Wāmu) are the villains in the Kamen Rider Heisei series Kamen Rider Kabuto. They are alien lifeforms that came from a meteor that destroyed the city district of Shibuya years prior to the series' timeline. However, the Worms known as Natives existed prior to the coming of the Shibuya Meteorite, through another meteorite that came 35 years ago.
The Worms were designed by Yasushi Nirasawa (韮沢 靖 Nirasawa Yasushi), who designed the Undead from Kamen Rider Blade, the Horrors in GARO, and later designed the Imagin for Kamen Rider Den-O. These designs were later detailed in Worm Works: GITAI (ワームワークスGITAI Wāmu Wākusu GITAI).
- 1 Shibuya Meteorite
- 2 World of Kabuto
- 3 Later history
- 4 Classification
- 5 Major Worms
- 6 Minor Worms
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Worm Yummy (Pupa Form)
- 9 Video Game appearances
- 10 Notes
- 11 Appearances
- 12 External links
- 13 References
- Main article: Shibuya Meteor Strike
Years ago, a mysterious meteorite crashed into Shibuya; which brought along extraterrestrial creatures known as Worms. During episode 41, Riku Kagami explains that another meteorite carrying the Natives arrived on Earth thirty-five years ago, explaining why fragments of the meteorite similar to those of the Shibuya Meteorite existed so long ago. The Natives that arrived on Earth worked with humans to create the Masked Rider System in order to fend off the threat of other Worms that would arrive later.
World of Kabuto
The Worms also exist in the A.R. World of Kabuto, where they are also fought by ZECT and its Kamen Riders. Similar to the originals, they are an alien menace that blends into the human population by copying the faces of their victims along with their memories and personalities. While most are in pupa form called a Salis, few Worms can molt into their adult state and gains the ability to Clock Up, an ability that allows one to move at lights speeds. During the events of the first episode, a Culex Worm mimics Natsumi as it and its group, composed of the Geophilid, Sectio, and Sepultura Worms, attempt to kill her until Tsukasa becomes Decade for the first time.
- Mayu (マユ Mayu) is the granddaughter of Grandma who has a grudge against Kabuto for what she thought was brother's murder, only to later learn her 'brother' was actually a Worm. She is eventually revealed to be the Sisyra Worm (シシーラワーム Shishīra Wāmu), she is targeted by the other Worms because of her ties to Kabuto. Mayu is portrayed by Rio Kanno (菅野 莉央 Kanno Rio), who previously appeared in GoGo Sentai Boukenger as the girl who was revealed to be the identity of Mister Voice.
- The Phylloxera Worm (フィロキセラワーム Firokisera Wāmu) is a Worm that assumed the form of Sohji before losing his eye when he fought Kabuto, he assumed the alias of Soh Otogiri (弟切 ソウ Otogiri Sō), and became the head agent of ZECT and the user of TheBee Zecter to transform into Kamen Rider TheBee (仮面ライダーザビー Kamen Raidā Zabī) to get his revenge on Sohji. The fact that he resembled Sohji had Mayu confuse him to be her brother before he reveals his true form while carrying out the Kabuto Capture Plan to get his revenge while ensuring that the Worms gain the advantage over the ZECT Riders. He is destroyed by Kabuto's & Decade's Rider Kick as they tear down the Clock Down broadcast tower in the process. The Phylloxera Worm originally appeared in the SmaSTATION special Kamen Rider G in which Decade and the other Heisei Kamen Riders make a cameo appearance at the end. The Phylloxera Worm is voiced by Kenichi Mochizuki (望月 健一 Mochizuki Ken'ichi), while his human disguise of Soh Otogiri is portrayed by Daijiro Kawaoka (川岡 大次郎 Kawaoka Daijirō), the same person that portrayed Sohji.
- Coleoptera Worm Argentum (コレプテラワーム・アージェンタム Koreoputera Wāmu Ājentamu, 16): A scarab-based Worm, the first of its kind Tsukasa encounters in the World of Kabuto while it assumes the form of a young man. After the ZECT Troopers confine it, Gatack and TheBee attempts to fight the Worm who later overpowered them in its Clock Up state. But with the unseen aid of Kabuto, the Worm is destroyed by TheBee's Rider Sting.
- Geophilid Worm (ジオフィリドワーム Jiofirido Wāmu, 16): A centipede-based Worm that targeted Mayu, it is destroyed by Decade in Kuuga's Pegasus Form.
- Subst Worm (サブストワーム Sabusuto Wāmu, 17): A crayfish-type Worm that posed as a young man and targeted Mayu, chasing her and Natsumi down until it is destroyed by a shockwave from Mayu's transformation into the Sisyra Worm.
Kamen Rider G
As one of the races of the Nine Worlds, the Worms are part of the Dai-Shocker alliance, a coalition of all villain organizations fought by the Kamen Riders, who have ambitions to conquer the multiverse.
The Coleoptera Worm Aeneus, Coleoptera Worm Croceus, Coleoptera Worm Argentum, Geophilid Worm, Subst Worm, and Cassis Worm Gladius, were part of the Dai-Shocker army that was fought and wiped out by a gathering of 25 Kamen Riders in the World of Decade after Dai-Shocker started their invasion of the worlds.
The Worms were among the various evil organizations and monster races which were allied with Shocker in an alternate timeline where they conquered the world thanks to the Shocker Greeed. The Scorpio, Sectio, Cammarus and Subst Worms were among Shocker's army of monsters. When all the Kamen Riders came back in 2011, Kabuto returned and defeated the Worms allied with Shocker.
The Gryllus Worm as well as the Musca Worm were part of the revived Dai-Shocker assembled by Decade to wipe out the Super Sentai, ensuring the survival of the Kamen Riders. After Dai-Shocker's alliance with Dai-Zangyack was revealed, both organizations were wiped out by a gathering of Kamen Riders and Super Sentai.
One revived Worm, the Gryllus Worm, was a member of Space Shocker, an evil amalgamation organization similar to Dai-Shocker, which aimed to conquer the universe. It was actually a front for the revival of the Space Crime Syndicate Madou.
World within the Magic Stone
The souls of defeated Worms, among the other monster races fought by the Kamen Riders, surfaced in the world within the Magic Stone which was ruled by the evil wizard Amadum. Amadum's army of monsters were fought and destroyed by the 15 Heisei Riders when they were summoned to this world.
There exist two different species of Worms, the Natives and a second group known only as Worms. The Natives have a horn appendage attached to their heads in their Salis form and they are not as aggressive as the later Worms. The later group of worms also had two variations with less notable roles.
- Main article: Natives
Natives (ネイティブ Neitibu) are the Worms that arrived on Earth 35 years ago (1971). After assuming human identities, they developed the Masked Rider System to give to the humans what would form ZECT. In return, ZECT would protect them from other Worms that might arrive. Most usually live in peace blending in with human society; some actually can create their own human forms without stealing other identities compared to their counterparts. Hiyori is "unique" among the Natives because she was naturally born Native. Visually, Natives appear nearly identical to their later, more hostile Worm counterparts, the biggest exception being the large beetle horn-like protrusions attached to their head carapace. Natives also seem to be a lighter shade of green compared to the Worm's more sickly darker green.
The second species of the mimetic alien life form, known only as "Worms" arrived on Earth seven years that caused the Shibuya meteorite crash. Hostile toward humans, Worms attempt to blend into the human population by copying the faces of their victims along with their memories. They only require a look at the human to copy their image, but once done so, they attempt to kill the original at all costs. The Worm believe the person that was mimicked now exists as a part of them due the fact they also acquired their victims' personalities, which can be a hindrance in few cases. Despite being able to copy both image and memory, they are unable to copy certain things such as scent and heat, and, as seen in Kamen Rider Decade, human reactions to nerve bundle strikes. While unable to copy everything from their victims, they can apparently mimic pregnancy as Hiyori`s mother showed with Hiyori being the child.
The pupa form is known as a Salis (サリース Sarīsu), taking on the shape of a chrysalis. A Worm in a Salis state normally have a green body, but there have been scenarios where it was not so. After a Worm is threatened or endangered, it has the ability to molt, revealing a stronger form that can move at blinding speeds which comes from their high metabolism.
It is later revealed that Worm do not need to naturally molt, and their "cast" can be broken off or shattered. They also have the ability to revert back into a Salis form if necessary. When a Worm is destroyed, it explodes into flames that share its predominant color.
The main motifs of the Worm are animals that are arthropods, most commonly insects. The executives are the only Worm with non-insects motifs. Rena Mamiya/Uca Worm, Cammarus Worm, Subst Worm, and Reiji Nogi/Cassis Worm are all crustacean-type Worm. The Cochlea Worm is surprisingly based on a mollusk, the animal family that is the total opposite of an arthropod.
Mutation Worm is a variation of the second group of Worms which eventually appeared on Earth. Its mode of operation differs from the other worms due to it making a pact to fulfill the wishes of its chosen targeted human, rather than killing them. It's not known how or why this Worm emerged. Its Salis form is white, differently from the green of the standard Worms. A Mutation Worm appears only in Kabuto episode 14.
Judah the antagonist of the All Kamen Rider: Rider Generation game, in an attempt to strengthen the Salis Worms that joined his army, artificially enhanced them, leaving them in an "semi-molting" state, which, although lacking the high speed abilities of their real molted form has a combat ability significantly stronger than standard Salis Worms. These Worms altered by Judah acquire a dark coloration for their bodies, while their claws become purple. This variant, dubbed Worm (Semi-molting) (ワームサナギ体脱皮直前 Wāmu Sanagi Karada Tappi Chokuzen) do not appear in the Kabuto TV series.
Playing a significant role in the series, these Worms are usually Executives or otherwise important Worms that greatly influence the story. This class of worm are fully evolved and are the the most powerful class. These worms each have a unique appearance due to their individual evolution.
The upper-class Worms usually control massive groups of Worms. Very few Executives have been seen, but they each possess an enormous amount of power.
Natives are commonly shown in an altered pupa form, but a few Natives have evolved and reached a higher stage in the Worm hierarchy. They are the first generation of worm that landed on earth after the meteor hit Shibuiya.
Some of these lower-class Worms are subordinates of Executives, while others have no association with the majority of Worms. They serve mainly as monsters of the week.
Tailless Whip Scorpion-based Worms that targeted people in white.
Termite-based Worms, spared a doctor's life and assumed his form to target those in his care, turning them into drywood. Though their methods were odd, they still were Worms in nature.
Tarantula-like Worms that protected the Worm eggs.
Centipede-like Worms that would attack anyone that possesses pieces of the Shibuya meteorite that brought the Natives to Earth
Carpenter ant-like Worms exclusive to the Hyper Battle special.
- Lanpyris Worm
- Bellcricetus Worm
- Epilachna Worm
- Pulex Worm
- Musca Worm
- Viella Worm
- Sepultura Worm
- Tarantes Worm Purpura/Makoto
- Genomyas Worm
- Culex Worm
- Foliatus Worm
- Cammarus Worm
- Cochlea Worm
- Leptophyes Worm
- Subst Worm
Worm Yummy (Pupa Form)
Worm Yummy (Pupa Form) (ワームヤミー（サナギ体） Wāmu Yamī (Sanagi Tai)): Cell Medal recreations of the Worms' Salis stage, appearing as part of a Combatman Yummy (戦闘員ヤミー Sentōin Yamī) army, the product of Shocker Combatman In Sendo's desire for like-minded allies to defeat the Kamen Riders, based on the grunts from past villainous groups who fought against Kamen Riders, whom Sendo refers to as the "past generation combatmen" (歴代戦闘員 Rekidai Sentōin). They fight Kamen Rider OOO but are eventually all destroyed by Kamen Rider OOO Tajadol Combo's Magna Blaze Giga Scan.
Video Game appearances
Kamen Rider Kabuto video game
Many Worms (Tarantesworm Purpura, Pupaworm, White Pupaworm, Aracneworm Rubor, Aracneworm Flavus, Aracneworm Nigritia, Verberworm, Verberworm Rota, Scorpioworm, Sepulturaworm, Acarinaworm Amber, Ucaworm) appear in the Kamen Rider Kabuto video game.
All Kamen Rider: Rider Generation
Worms appear as regular enemies in the video game, All Kamen Rider: Rider Generation, and it's sequel, All Kamen Rider: Rider Generation 2. Worms appear in the standard green Salis form, the white Salis Worm (Mutant) and also stronger black Salis, called Salis Worm (Semi-molting), original to the game. Mutation Worms are stronger then the normal Salis Worms, with the Semi-molting Salis Worms being the strongest out of them.
Kamen Rider Battride Wars
Salis Worms appear as Common Enemies in the video game Kamen Rider Battride Wars.
- The Worms' arrival on Earth during 1999 is coincidentally based on Nostradamus' prediction of apocalypse by the "King of Terror" Angolmois. Surprisingly, the Worms' arrival on Earth could have also meant the end of humanity.
- The Worms are the first Heisei villains to be from outer space.
- Despite Worms seemingly reproducing like insects, it seems Hiyori's mother gave birth the way mammals give birth.
- Early episodes of Kamen Rider Kabuto depicted Worms hiding their victim's bodies, which are covered in an unknown slime-like substance.
- The name "Worm" is seen spelled as "Worm" on a ZECT computer screen in episode 1, but as "Warm" on another ZECT screen in episode 45.
All items (71)
- Acarina Worm
- Acarina Worm Amber
- Acarina Worm sub-class
- Aracnea Worm Flavus
- Aracnea Worm Nigritia
- Aracnea Worm Rubor
- Aracnea Worm sub-class
- Cammarus Worm
- Camponotus Worm Maxilla
- Camponotus Worm Oculus
- Camponotus Worm sub-class
- Cochlea Worm
- Coleoptera Worm Aeneus
- Coleoptera Worm Argentum
- Coleoptera Worm Croceus
- Coleoptera Worm sub-class
- Culex Worm
- Foliatus Worm
- Formicaalubus Worm
- Formicaalubus Worm Maxilla
- Formicaalubus Worm Oculus
- Formicaalubus Worm sub-class
- Salis Worms
- Satomi Kusakabe
- Scarab Curios
- Sectio Worm
- Sectio Worm Acuere
- Sectio Worm sub-class
- Sepultura Worm
- Shun Kageyama
- Shun Kageyama (Zi-O)
- Sisyra Worm
- Soh Otogiri
- Soji Kusakabe
- Souichi Kusakabe
- Subst Worm
- Syuichi Tadokoro