|This article is about a/an race of monsters in Kamen Rider OOO.|
The Greeed (グリード Gurīdo) are O Medal-based animal-like homunculi and (along with their subordinates the Yummy) they served as the main antagonists in the series of Kamen Rider OOO. Their name is taken from the English word Greed.
The Greeed were created 8 centuries ago through the fifty Core Medals by four alchemists who attempted to create life under the will of the First Kamen Rider OOO in his plan to achieve godhood. Though originally mindless, the five Greeed gained wills of their own after one Medal in each of the five sets was destroyed. They are beings that crave, cursed with a void in them that can't be filled without measures. They lack proper senses, resulting in bleak sensory input (e.g., colors are washed out, taste is nonexistent, sounds are muffled and distorted), as well as the inability to feel deeper emotions such as love (although this may not be entirely true). As such, the Greeed became bent on filling the void left in them by consuming the world, specifically humans, to feel what humans feel.
800 years ago they and part of Ankh were sealed by the First OOO when the Core Medals consumed him and transformed him into a stone coffin. When the seal was removed, unable to recreate his body completely, Ankh manages to steal his fellow Greeeds' Core Medals, so that they would be handicapped as well while stating that the other Core Medals were lost to them during their imprisonment. As a result, the four Greeed use their Yummies to track down Ankh and regain their stolen Core Medals to be whole while gathering as many Cell Medals as needed to maintain their physical forms.
As the body of the Greeed are composed of Core Medals as well as Cell Medals, they are much stronger and are not based on a single animal, unlike their Yummy subordinates whom all Greeed can sense because of the Cell Medals inside them. After realizing how much humanity changed over the pass 800 years, the Greeed assume human forms to blend into society. Each Greeed has multiple sets of Core Medals and are able to maintain their powers so long as they do not lose them all, but once they do, the armored portion of their forms that draws power from that Core Medal disappears while "bleeding" Cell Medals. If they only have one Core Medals, then they are forcibly reverted to human form and in terrible pain. The exception to that rule is Ankh, who became a special case since the battle centuries ago and apparently Uva after he was revived.
Once a Greeed (aside from Ankh who can feel all five senses by using Shingo) is complete, it is overwhelmed with the full scope of human senses and emotions, and will attempt to consume everything obsessively in an attempt to experience what humans normally take for granted. They also gain an ability that they could not use before and the belt-like armor around their waist becomes more visible and decorative in gold and silver. A Greeed's consciousness is contained in one particular Core Medal, typically one Kamen Rider OOO uses for his head section such as Kuwagata or Lion. Destruction of this Medal will permanently destroy the Greeed unless said Core Medal is somehow fixed. If a Greeed's body is destroyed but the Medal containing its consciousness remains the Greeed is able to act autonomously and possess human bodies, as was the case with Uva.
It is shown that when Core Medals are implanted into a human body, the human slowly mutates into a Greeed. The process begins when the human gains powers possessed by a Greeed such as the ability to create Yummy or sense them. The human then goes through the process of having lessened senses and their bodies mutating into a Greeed form. A human that has mutated into a Greeed has the same amount of power as a Greeed in their complete form, as shown by their complete bodies and the 'belt'. However in order to be complete with all their senses, they need a full set of their respective Core Medals.
If a Greeed's body gains more than nine Core Medals, including Core Medals from other Greeed, its body begins to destabilize from the power as the other Core Medals act as if they were its own and mutate into a chimeric Mega Greeed Out of Control (巨大グリード暴走態 Kyodai Gurīdo Bōsōtai), which has the physical attributes of the symbolic animals of the original Greeed. But when all five Core Medal types are used, a Greeed turns into a Core Sarcophagus Uncontrollable (メダルの器 暴走形態 Medaru no Utsuwa Bōsō Keitai), a giant container that converts all nearby matter into Cell Medals. Because both types are extremely dangerous, Maki uses the purple Core Medals to become a Greeed himself while having other Greeed to repeat their consumption once completely revived in order achieve his desire for the world to end. A Greeed's consciousness is contained in one of its corresponding head-type Core Medals.
The antagonist Greeed are named after certain words in Japanese that relate to desire. There are also Greeed, created through unorthodox methods by using special Core Medals.
The Greeeds reappear in the Final Stage of OOO, and call themselves Desire Sentai Greeedman (欲望戦隊グリードマン Yokubō Sentai Gurīdoman). They help the King to restore his power of OOO and battle other OOO from 8 worlds. They were finally destroy by 8 OOO repectively.
Dummy Inhumanoid recreations of the four Greeeds, Uva, Kazari, Gamel, and Mezool, were created by Foundation X through amassing Cell Medals. They were mobilized alongside dummies of the Museum Dopants during Lem Kannagi's plot to take over the world and were respectively destroyed by Kamen Riders X, Aqua, #2, and Riderman.
Though they weren't part of Dai-Shocker initally (as Kamen Rider OOO is a post-Decade show), at least one Greeed, Mezool, was part of the revived Dai-Shocker assembled by Decade to wipe out the Super Sentai, ensuring the survival of the Kamen Riders. After Dai-Shocker's alliance with Dai-Zangyack was revealed, both organizations were wiped out by a gathering of Kamen Riders and Super Sentai.
Kiyoto Maki was brought back by Frey as an opponent in order for the current Kamen Riders to unlock Kamen Rider OOO's Ghost Eyecon, a feat which was achieved by Kamen Rider Specter who used it to assume OOO Damashii and destroy the Kyouryu Greeed again.
Heisei Generations FINAL
By replicating the Core Medals, Foundation X was able to create their own versions of the Greeed. These Core Medals were held by Kaisei Mogami, who used them to unleash copies of Uva, Kazari, Gamel, Mezool, and finally Ankh against Eiji Hino, Emu Hojo and Ryuga Banjo. However, the broken Taka Medal on Eiji's person allowed the original Ankh's personality to take over upon making contact with his duplicate body. By retrieving the Core Medals from the enemy Greeed as well as himself, Ankh allowed Eiji to transform into Kamen Rider OOO once again. Ultimately, Foundation X's Greeed were defeated by OOO, and Ankh's fake body expired, though Eiji remained confident that he would truly revive someday as he reclaimed Ankh's broken Taka Medal.
- Ankh - Birds
- Uva - Insects
- Kazari - Felines
- Gamel - Heavy Mammals
- Mezool - Aquatic Animals
- Kyouryu Greeed (Giru/Kiyoto Maki/Eiji Hino (Eiji Greeed)) - Extinct and Mythological Animals (Dinosaurs in particular)
- Ankh (Lost) - Birds
- Nobunaga/Armored Warrior Inhumanoid - Arthropods
- Shocker Greeed - Shocker
- Gara - Reptiles
- Kamen Rider Poseidon/Michal Minato - Aquatic Animals
- Shocker OOO - Showa-Era Villains
- Gel Shocker Greeed - Gel Shocker
- Destron Greeed - Destron
- G.O.D. Greeed - Government of Darkness
- Garanda Greeed - Garanda Empire
- Delza Greeed - Delza Army
- Neo-Shocker Greeed - Neo-Shocker
- Jin Dogma Greeed - Jin Dogma
- Badan Greeed - Badan Empire
- Muchiri - Arthropods
- The Greeed are often represented by long sheets of silk-like cloth that appear beside them in key scenes, all corresponding to their primary colors. Both Ankh and Lost Ankh share Red, Kazari's is Yellow, Uva's is Green, Mezool's is Blue, Gamel's is Silver, and after becoming a vessel for half of the purple Core Medals, Dr. Maki is represented by a purple sheet.
- Although the Greeed's sheets will often appear in key moments of the story where they interact with each other in one way or another, Ankh's sheet is significantly more prevalent, and often sits comfortably in his elevated sleeping spot inside Eiji's room, where he uses it to cushion himself while sleeping. It's also seen twice in the show's opening, where it covers Ankh from Hina's approaches, serving as a metaphorical wall representing Ankh's influence as a Greeed possessing her brother's body, preventing them from connecting.
- The belts of the Greeed are similar to Kamen Riders' belts.
- Despite being the main antagonists, the Greeed are actually some of the more pitiable Neo-Heisei kaijin since they normally cannot feel satisfaction, their senses are dulled, and they mostly wish to feel what humans take for granted.
- This is somewhat mooted however, by the fact that they are selfish creatures themselves (despite calling out on humans for their greed) that are willing to sacrifice others for their own sake.
- Most of the Greeed in the series die differently.
- Ankh (Lost) is defeated by OOO's Putotyra Combo and destroyed from restoring the original Ankh's consciousness.
- Kazari is defeated by OOO's Putotyra Combo but received a fatal blow from Kiyoto Maki and dies later.
- Mezool is defeated by OOO's Latorartar Combo and dies afterward.
- While Gamel did not fight OOO, he is defeated by Birth and Birth·Proto Type and dies afterward.
- Uva is defeated by OOO's Tatoba Combo (King's Core Medals) before turning into the Core Sarcophagus Uncontrollable and later destroyed by the black hole from Kyouryu Greeed's body.
- Kiyoto Maki is defeated by OOO's Tajadol Combo (and Ankh) and dies because of the black hole from himself.
- Ankh sacrifices his remaining power for Eiji's Tajadol Combo transformation to battle with Kyouryu Greeed and fades away later.
All items (28)