|This article is about a race of monsters in Kamen Rider Kiva.|
The Fangire Race (ファンガイア族, Fangaia Zoku), or Fungire, are a race of vampire-like monsters in the Kamen Rider Series Kamen Rider Kiva. Stained glass-based vampires who feed off of Life Energy (ライフエナジー, Raifu Enajī) by using glass shard-like Life-Sucking Fangs (吸命牙, Kyūmeiga), members of the Fangire Race assume human forms to hide within everyday society to feed in secret, revealing their true forms as their skin takes a unique stained glass pattern.
Like the other Demon Races, the Fangire can sustain themselves without Life Energy through a myriad of means, as demonstrated by the Frog Fangire. However, many do not bother adopting such a lifestyle, hence their conflict with humanity.
Each Fangire belongs to a specific class based on the animal form it takes, and each Fangire has a true name. However, despite having one animal as the main motif for their appearance, each member of this race has another animal hidden inside; mostly a bird of some kind. A Fangire can at least live up to three times longer than a human, barring being killed. Upon dying, the Fangire's physical body shatters like glass. This is capable of injuring a person if they are nearby.
Members of the Fangire Race destroyed by Kiva have their bodies destroyed, with their souls sealed within the Castle Doran's body before they can escape and reform into a new body or gather with other Fangires' souls to form a giant aura monster called a Six Pillars Sabbath (サバト, Sabato). Ixa, Emperor Kiva, Saga, and Dark Kiva are able to destroy both the body and soul. The only other known giant among the Fangires is the Kukulcan, a large, winged snake summoned by Taiga to put Wataru to the test. The Fangire Race is the second most prosperous of the 13 Demon Races and responsible for the near-extermination of the Wolfen, Merman, Franken and Legendorga races.
Though capable of cross-breeding with humans, the Fangire race decree such an act as taboo, with any that ignore this law suffering punishments equivalent to death.
The Fangire race is divided into four classes depending on which type of animal individuals are based on.
- Insect Class (インセクトクラス, Insekuto Kurasu): members of this class are based on insects.
- Beast Class (ビーストクラス, Bīsuto Kurasu): members of this class are based on mammals.
- Aqua Class (アクアクラス, Akua Kurasu): members of this class are based on aquatic and semi-aquatic organisms.
- Lizard Class (リザードクラス, Rizādo Kurasu): members of this class are based on reptiles. It is the rarest of the four classes.
The Checkmate Four (チェックメイト・フォー, Chekkumeito Fō) are the four most powerful members of the Fangire race, each bearing a tattoo of the chess piece they are named after. These four Fangires receive the titles of Rook, Bishop the keeper of Fangire laws, Queen (クイーン, Kuīn), and King (キング, Kingu), the rulers of Fangires. In 1986, the Checkmate Four were based in Castle Doran. By 2008, only Bishop and Rook remained as they recruit a new Queen and King.
- King/Bat Fangire (1986)
- Taiga Nobori (2008)
- Maya/Pearlshell Fangire (1986)
- Mio Suzuki/Pearlshell Fangire (2008)
- Bishop/Swallowtail Fangire
- Rook/Lion Fangire
World of Kiva
The Fangire Race also exist in the A.R. World of Kiva. Similar to the originals, are vampiric creatures that resemble stained glass, originally feeding off of the Life Energy of humans until they are commanded by their king to coexist with them. However, some of these Fangires are unable to follow this law due to their instincts. Each Fangire belongs to a specific class based on the animal form it takes. [Second Movement ♬ Prince Kiva] [The Biting King's Qualifications] Several Fangires also appear in the first episode when Natsumi is trapped within the changing dimensions. They include the Shark, Moose, Horsefly, Rat, Mantis, and Seamoon Fangires. The Mantis Fangire later appears fighting the Beetle Fangire. [The Biting King's Qualifications]
- Ryo Itoya (糸矢 僚, Itoya Ryō, 4) is a strange young man who is in actuality the Spider Fangire (スパイダーファンガイア, Supaidā Fangaia). He is the first Fangire that Tsukasa and Natsumi encounter, and reveals to them the truce that exists between Humans and Fangires while posing for a photo in the Hikari Studio. Sohto (創斗, Sōto) reprises his role as Ryo Itoya from Kamen Rider Kiva.
- The Beetle Fangire (ビートルファンガイア, Bītoru Fangaia), whose true name is Attonement of the Garden Divided, the International Dateline (贖罪の園を分断する、日付変更線, Shokuzai no Sono o Bundan suru, Hizukehenkōsen), is the previous King of the Fangire Race and a member of Insect Class (インセクトクラス, Insekuto Kurasu) Tribe. He was exiled for loving a human woman who gave birth to his half-breed successor, Wataru. Seeing the coexistence and peace between the two races as nothing more than a farce for his son's sake, the Beetle Fangire breaks the peace by attacking humans to gather their Life Energy and reclaim his title, even stealing Kivat from Wataru. His actions of removing the law to restart past conflicts between the two races provide the motivation for Wataru to step up and truly claim his place as King of the Fangires. In the end, he is weakened by Decade's Kiva Arrow, then fatally wounded by a Dimension Kick/Darkness Moon Break combo. Revealing that he knew of the Fangire's true identity and intent before he dies, Tsukasa plays a final song for him before the man shatters. The Beetle Fangire and his human form are respectively voiced and played by Mansaku Ikeuchi (池内 万作, Ikeuchi Mansaku).
- Swallowtail Fangire (スワローテイルファンガイア, Suwarōteiru Fangaia, 4-5): A Fangire with the title of Bishop (ビショップ, Bishoppu), his task is to oversee the progress of all Fangires and their moral conduct, deeming those who are traitors to their king's laws. When the Beetle Fangire regains his title, the Swallowtail Fangire aides his master until he is shattered by Decade's Dimension Slash. The Swallowtail Fangire is voiced by Tomohiro Tsuboi (坪井 智浩, Tsuboi Tomohiro).
- Lion Fangire (ライオンファンガイア, Raion Fangaia, 4): A Fangire with the title of Rook (ルーク, Rūku), he is chasing after a renegade Fangire when Tsukasa interferes and destroys him with the Ride Booker's Decade Slash. The Lion Fangire is voiced by Toshitsugu Takashina (高階 俊嗣, Takashina Toshitsugu).
As one of the races of the Nine Worlds, the Fangire are part of the Dai-Shocker alliance, a coalition of all villain organizations fought by the Kamen Riders, who have ambitions to conquer the multiverse.
The Rat, Sungazer, and Bat Fangire, were part of the Dai-Shocker army that was fought and wiped out by a gathering of 25 Kamen Riders in the World of Decade after Dai-Shocker started their invasion of the worlds. [Kamen Rider Decade: All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker]
The Seamoon and Mantis Fangire accompanied Apollogeist in the World of Black RX. They were destroyed by Decade using Agito's Rider Kick and Faiz Axel's power respectively. [RX! Dai-Shocker Attack] [Black × Black RX]
The Sungazer Fangire was a member of the Dai-Shocker remnant, Super Shocker, that appeared in the World of the Rider War. [Kamen Rider × Kamen Rider W & Decade: Movie War 2010]
The Fangire were among the various evil organizations and monster races which were allied with Shocker in an alternate timeline where they conquered the world thanks to the Shocker Greeed. The Lion and Crab Fangire were among Shocker's army of monsters. When all the Kamen Riders came back in 2011, Kiva returned and defeated the Fangire allied with Shocker. [OOO, Den-O, All Riders: Let's Go Kamen Riders]
Fangires Rat and Warthog Fangire under the Bat Fangire were part of the revived Dai-Shocker assembled by Decade to wipe out the Super Sentai, ensuring the survival of the Kamen Riders. After Dai-Shocker's alliance with Dai-Zangyack was revealed, both organizations were wiped out by a gathering of Kamen Riders and Super Sentai. [Kamen Rider × Super Sentai: Super Hero Taisen]
Three revived Fangire, Pearlshell Fangire, Bat Fangire and the Beetle Fangire, were members of Space Shocker, an evil amalgamation organization similar to Dai-Shocker, which aimed to conquer the universe. It was actually a front for the revival of the Space Crime Syndicate Madou. [Kamen Rider × Super Sentai × Space Sheriff: Super Hero Taisen Z]
World within the Magic Stone
The souls of defeated Fangire, among the other monster races fought by the Kamen Riders, surfaced in the world within the Magic Stone which was ruled by the evil wizard Amadum. Amadum's army of monsters were fought and destroyed by the 15 Heisei Riders when they were summoned to this world. [The Kamen Rider Rings] [Neverending Story]
- Main article: Neo-Fangire
- Most of the Fangire have a hidden bird motif somewhere in their design.
- The designs of the Checkmate Four Fangire incorporate statue heads.
- When considering the Fangire race's high esteem for power, their prejudice toward humanity is quite ironic, given how 3/4 of the Checkmate Four (1984) ultimately fell in battle against a human; the King himself defeated by Otoya Kurenai in the original and altered timelines.
- Furthermore, Wataru Kurenai's immense potential as Kamen Rider Kiva is explained to stem from being half human, granting him powers that no full blooded Fangire can obtain.
All items (55)