|This article is about a/an transformation device in Kamen Rider Build.|
The Build Driver (ビルドドライバー Birudo Doraibā) is the transformation device used by both Kamen Rider Build and Kamen Rider Cross-Z. As the Rider System (ライダーシステム Raidā Shisutemu) created by Shinobu Katsuragi and finished by his son Takumi Katsuragi, it uses Fullbottles as its primary collectible device. Sento later made another Build Driver for Ryuga to use to become Cross-Z after the first time he used Sento's Driver.
According to Sento Kiryu, one must have a Hazard Level of 3 to be able to transform using the Build Driver. Otherwise, they'll get electrified and rendered unconscious by the anti-theft system on the belt.
As stated by Sento and later seen in the flashback of his first battle, the Build Driver didn't originally announce Best Matches until he'd modified it to do so.
The Build Driver is later revealed to be a safer and weaker version of the Evol-Driver, due to Takumi Katsuragi being aware that the Evol-Driver could not be used by normal humans using conventional means.
The Build Driver is composed of the following parts:
- Vortex Charger (ボルテックチャージャー Borutekku Chājā) - The circular energy generator unit. By turning the Vortex Lever, the Vortex Charger spins, activating the internal Nitro Dynamo (ニトロダイナモ Nitoro Dainamo) engine, generating enough energy to transform and deal deathblows.
- Vortex Lever (ボルテックレバー Borutekku Rebā) - The crank used to activate and operate the Build Driver. The faster the crank is spun, the more energy is developed.
- Twin Fullbottle Slots (ツインフルボトルスロット Tsuin Furubotoru Surotto) - The slots that Fullbottles are inserted into. It takes in the Transgel Solid ingredients inside of the Fullbottles and feed it to the Building Modules.
- Building Modules (ビルディングモジュール Birudingu Mojūru) - An expansion device built into the Twin Fullbottle Slots. During transformation, it develops the Snap Ride Builder (スナップライドビルダー Sunappu Raido Birudā) (or any other type of 'Builders'), a compression device resembling plastic model runners, allowing transformation to occur.
- Safety Guard Case (セーフティガードケース Sēfuti Gādo Kēsu) - The outer parts. It utilises high-strength material with heat and impact resistance, allowing it to protect internal mechanisms. It is so strong that it can withstand Smash attacks.
- Adjust Bind (アジャストバインド Ajasuto Baindo) - The yellow strap used to fix the Build Driver upon the waist. When the Driver is not in use, it is stored inside the Driver.
- Qualifizer (クオリファイザー Kuorifaizā) - A biometric scanning device located in the black section at the rear of the Adjust Bind. It reads Hazard Levels, and will prevent transformation to anyone lower that a Hazard Level 3.
- L&P Amplifier (L＆Pアンプリファー L&P Anpurifā) - A converter installed inside the Driver that converts emotions into energy. The stronger the emotions, the stronger the Rider's attacks will be. This is due to their Hazard Level increasing/decreasing depending on emotions.
Kamen Rider Build transforms by inserting two Fullbottles into the Build Driver's Building Modules (ビルディングモジュール Birudingu Mojūru) and plugging them into the Twin Fullbottle Slots (ツインフルボトルスロット Tsuin Furubotoru Surotto). The user then turns the Vortex Lever (ボルテックレバー Borutekku Rebā), a crank that generates power to the Vortex Charge (ボルテックチャージャー Borutekku Chāji) energy core generator unit by turning the lever. This gives the Nitro Dynamo (ニトロダイナモ Nitoro Dainamo) inside the Vortex Charge the momentum it needs to generate power for transformation and finishers. Larger amounts of energy can be generated by increasing the momentum of turning the Vortex Lever and rotation speed of the Vortex Charge.
In a rare instance for Rider Belts, in Episode 1, the inner workings of the Build Driver were seen during transformation. As the Vortex Lever and Vortex Charge turns, it moves the gears and pistons inside the belt which pump essence from the Fullbottles out of their containers through pneumatic tubes, which move out of the belt and form the base for assembly of the suit. If the user is transforming into a Best Match form, the Driver then initializes the Snap Ride Builder (スナップライドビルダー Sunappu Raido Birudā) after the essences have hardened into the Halfbodies, snapping the two parts together and completing the transformation. The Snap Ride Builder will not appear if the user is moving during the transformation, while in some instances, the pneumatic tubes of the Snap Rider Builder will simply appear in a quick flash so as to speed up the transformation.
The Build Driver is layered in an alloy called the Safety Guard Case (セーフティガードケース Sēfuti Gādo Kēsu), designed to resist high temperatures, high impacts of force and attacks by the Smash. As a security feature, the belt uses the Qualifizer (クオリファイザー Kuorifaizā) fastener to do a biometric scan of its wearer to determine if the intended user has a minimum Hazard Level of 3. If it is not, the belt will not function and go into a protective shutdown state, punishing the would be wearer. If the user does, the belt will continue to operate normally.
An ideal combination of two matching Fullbottles will create a Best Match (ベストマッチ Besuto Matchi) form, but any other imperfect combination is known as a Trial Form (トライアルフォーム Toraiaru Fōmu). The Build Driver did not originally announce Best Matches, but was later modified to do so by Sento Kiryu.
Kamen Rider Cross-Z transforms by inserting the Dragon Fullbottle into the Cross-Z Dragon, before inserting it into the Build Driver, and turning the crank.
When transforming into Cross-Z Magma by inserting the Dragon Magma Fullbottle into the Cross-Z Magma Knuckle before inserting it into the Build Driver and turning the crank, the Magma Ride Builder (マグマライドビルダー Maguma Raido Birudā) is summoned and pours Variable Magma over the Rider. This substance forms a casting of the Cross-Z Magma armor as numerous smoldering dragons rise up from the pool of lava. Once cooled and hardened, the Magma Ride Builder shatters the cast, releasing Cross-Z Magma.
The transformation into Grease Blizzard is mostly the same, with the North Blizzard Fullbottle being inserted into the Grease Blizzard Knuckle, the weapon inserted into the Driver, and, after turning the crank, summoning the Ice Ride Builder (アイスライドビルダー Aisu Raido Birudā) to submerge the Rider in liquid Variable Ice. The substance hardens into a mound of ice, before the Ice Ride Builder shatters the construct to reveal Grease Blizzard.
- Main article: Vortex Finish
While transformed, Build/Cross-Z initiates a finishing move by turning the Vortex Lever. Build's Best Matches use the Vortex Finish (ボルテックフィニッシュ Borutekku Finisshu), and Build's Trial Forms use the Vortex Attack (ボルテックアタック Borutekku Atakku). Cross-Z' finisher is the Dragonic Finish (ドラゴニックフィニッシュ Doragonikku Finisshu).
Users (chronological order)
|User||Kamen Rider||Episode Obtained||Description|
|Takumi Katsuragi|| ||Pre-series|| Takumi Katsuragi created the Build Driver as part of the Rider System in Touto, Hokuto, and Seito, later became a former member of Touto Institute of Advanced Matter Physics, then later created Faust, and its founder.
His Build Driver was secretly replaced with an experimental version by Blood Stalk shortly before his supposed death, and the original one would later be used by his new identity.
|Evolto/Soichi Isurugi|| ||The Severing Best Match (flashback)|| Blood Stalk had already been in possession of an incomplete and experimental version of Build Driver for an unknown period of time by the time of Takumi Katsuragi's supposed death.
As part of his plans, Stalk took Takumi's Build Driver and replaced it with the experimental one, causing him to be unable transform into Build and reverting the Gorilla Fullbottle into its empty form, leading to his murder.
|Sento Kiryu|| ||Who Takes Off The Veil? (flashback)|| Sento was given Takumi's Build Driver by Evolto (under the identity of Soichi Isurugi) after being taken in by him.
Ryuga used this Driver for his first transformation and kept it for a short amount of time before Sento built a second one and gave it to him. Misora briefly took it from him in an attempt to transform against Evolto, but it was taken from her by Gentoku to become Prime Rogue. He presumably returned it afterwards. Killbas later stole it from him and used to transform, but he was defeated and Sento got his Build Driver back.
|Ryuga Banjo|| || Burning Dragon (1st, borrowed from Sento)----
Theory of Conspiracy (2nd)
| In Episode 6, Ryuga attempted to transform using Sento's Driver, but his then-low Hazard Level prevented him from doing so.
When Night Rogue stole Sento's Driver, Ryuga retrieved it and used it to successfully transform into Cross-Z. Ryuga kept Sento's Driver until Sento built another one for him in next episode.
|Shinobu Katsuragi|| ||Legacy of Doubt||At some point, Shinobu built his own Build Driver, which he used to become another Kamen Rider Build. As his Driver is based on the original schematics, it does not announce Best Matches. After his death, his Driver went into the possession of Sento, who hid it inside the Purifier. Kazumi would later take it for his own usage after Sento's warnings.|
|Kengo Ino|| ||Kamen Rider Build: Be The One||After taking the Build Driver and Great Cross-Z Dragon from Ryuga and stealing Hazard Trigger from Sento, he used it to transform into Kamen Rider Blood.|
|Kazumi Sawatari|| ||An Oath to Be The One||After being given the Grease Blizzard Knuckle by Sento, Kazumi steals Shinobu Katsuragi's Build Driver from Sento's lab in order to use it to transform into Grease Blizzard.|
|Gentoku Himuro|| ||Kamen Rider Prime Rogue||Gentoku snatched Sento's Build Driver out of Misora's hands in order to transform into Prime Rogue to fight against Evolto.|
|Killbus|| ||Kamen Rider Build NEW WORLD: Kamen Rider Cross-Z||
After taking the Build Driver from Sento, he used it to transform into Kamen Rider Build.
Killbus subsequently stole a toy Sento had invented for Ryuga to sell and modified it into the Killbuspider, allowing him to transform into Kamen Rider Killbus.
Snap Ride Builders
Behind The Scenes
- The Build Driver is reminiscent of the Double Driver, using two differently themed devices to create a combination form.
- It also shares some similarities with the Accel Driver, such as using the grip on the right side of the Driver to transform.
- The design is also somewhat similar to the Gamer Driver and the Meteor Driver as both slots for the trinkets are on the left side of the driver instead of being on opposite sides while the right side has the rest of the controls.
- The method of reading the Fullbottles in the toy version of the Driver is identical to the method of reading Shift Cars in the Shift Brace from Kamen Rider Drive, as both use a sliding pin-combination system.
- The announcements are similar to those of Kamen Rider OOO and Ultraman Geed as they both have the parts of the form announced before the actual form, and each/some of the forms have their own unique phrase included in the transformation.
- In the Build Driver toy, the slots used for the Fullbottles in Best Matches don't matter, meaning that using Bottles in Rabbit-Tank and Tank-Rabbit placements will both give RabbitTank's announcement. Using Bottles in the opposite biotic/abiotic slot hasn't been explored in the show, however.
- The idea that the Build Driver was to eventually be a mass-produced weapon for the series antagonist can be seen as an homage to the first series to have used the term "Driver" for their transformation devices, Kamen Rider 555, as they implemented a mass-produced variant of a Rider.
- Unlike the name of Wizardriver or Decadriver, Build Driver is not called "Buildriver" because it was named for the Buildriver weapon of Tokusou Exceedraft in 1992.
- In Kamen Rider Build: Raising the Hazard Level ~7 Best Matches~, the Build Driver somehow has an SD Card slot on the right side of the driver.
- The Snap Ride Builders for RabbitTank Sparkling and RabbitTank Hazard, while being unique, also represent their particular origins:
- RabbitTank Sparkling's Fullbottle creation using energy directly from the Pandora Box, and the symbol being present as part of the Snap Ride Builder.
- The Hazard Trigger being designed after a gauge for pressurized liquid containers, and the Snap (Hazard) Ride Builder appearing as an injection molding template.
- The Magma Ride Builder represents smelting, following the theme of chemistry involved in the Rider transformations, as Ryuga's stabilization of the Dragon Magma Fullbottle and the resulting transformation are similar to burning out impurities to obtain the required element.
- The Ice Ride Builder is likely based on a chemical vat for frigid materials, due to its similar design to the Magma Ride Builder.
- During the riders transformations, the Snap Ride Builders are usually gone during close up shots.
- In the Korean Dub of Kamen Rider Ex-Aid, this belt was left undubbed and translated while the Korean Dub of Kamen Rider Build has the belt dubbed (excluding the Seito bottles).
- ↑ http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/build/rider/builddriver/
- ↑ http://p-bandai.jp/b-boys-shop/special-1000007965/
- ↑ http://p-bandai.jp/b-boys-shop/special-1000007965/
- ↑ Production-wise, this is likely to save on the CGI budget.
- ↑ http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2018/08/kamen-rider-build-and-lupinranger-vs-patranger-summer-film-summaries/
- ↑ http://www.toei.co.jp/tv/build/story/1210410_2766.html